Seeking Opinions on Taurus and SCCY

Well as always in this situation you will get endless stories from all sides. I'll throw in mine. My EDC is a Taurus Millennium G2. It's a double stack 9mm 12+1. I carry it every day, shoot it often and have never had a minutes problem with it. I trust my life with it no problem at all. Plus you can get them most anytime for $199.

I have both the Taurus PT-111 in 9mm and the PT-145 in .45. I love them both and have never had a problem with either one of them. They both hold 10 rounds in the magazine and are very concealable. I'm not sure if they are still in production so you may need to find a used one. They are accurate and feel good in my hand. Taurus has a lifetime warranty and will stand behind their product. I know some people badmouth Taurus, but I wonder if they have ever owned or shot one. I am very happy with these handguns and would recommend them to anyone.

If you have a few dollars more, look at the S&W Shield in 9mm, also an excellent CCW handgun

I have both the Taurus PT-111 in 9mm and the PT-145 in .45. I love them both and have never had a problem with either one of them. They both hold 10 rounds in the magazine and are very concealable. I'm not sure if they are still in production so you may need to find a used one. They are accurate and feel good in my hand. Taurus has a lifetime warranty and will stand behind their product. I know some people badmouth Taurus, but I wonder if they have ever owned or shot one. I am very happy with these handguns and would recommend them to anyone.

If you have a few dollars more, look at the S&W Shield in 9mm, also an excellent CCW handgun

About the bold part, you might want to read this thread and not just the OP.

I carry a Taurus PT-140 G2 Millenium everyday and fire it about every other day while running drills. So far it is still like new and after 500 rounds it has never missed a beat and keeps on firing. They did have a issue with some earlier models but they have fixed those from what I have read. truth is I am looking at purchasing another one. Maybe a 45 cal.

Many bad reports about firearms are from people who are new to firearms and dont know how to shoot well yet (lots of limp wristing, etc...) and many new shooters dont buy top of the line firearms for their first gun, hence the cheaper priced firearms get a lot more bad reports... I have owned many Taurus firearms, havent had any problems I couldnt attribute to something I did wrong.... I also owned 2 sccy right after they came out, good shooting guns except for the safety issue (would engage too easily while shooting the pistol, not a good thing) that the company solved later. In fact, sccy sent me the parts to upgrade my pistols frre of charge (just like any good company would) and they DID offer to do it themselves (before I asked if I could do it myself) if I shipped the firearms to them.

In contrast, many good reports about firearms are from people who don't train and practice the crap out of their equipment and would never run into issues in the first place. All guns break eventually, if they are actually being used. The question is under what conditions and when. That's why I value the experience of instructors that see the same guns over and over fail in their classes and the same guns over and over making it without any issues.

In contrast, many good reports about firearms are from people who don't train and practice the crap out of their equipment and would never run into issues in the first place. All guns break eventually, if they are actually being used. The question is under what conditions and when. That's why I value the experience of instructors that see the same guns over and over fail in their classes and the same guns over and over making it without any issues.
So, YOU have absolutely NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either of these firearm brands? If that is the case (it certainly seems so) then you cannot have a valid opinion, and shouldnt even be posting in this thread.... Although you do have the right to post if you wish, everyone else here has the right to laugh at your unfounded (other than by hearsay) opinion of what some other dudes say about something you have never done....

So, YOU have absolutely NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either of these firearm brands? If that is the case (it certainly seems so) then you cannot have a valid opinion, and shouldnt even be posting in this thread.... Although you do have the right to post if you wish, everyone else here has the right to laugh at your unfounded (other than by hearsay) opinion of what some other dudes say about something you have never done....

So, YOU have not read THIS THREAD at all and tell me that I shouldn't post in it. Come back once YOU actually have read the thread you are posting in. Hint, read at least my post #7 about my Taurus TCP experience.

Thank you for providing this piece of comedy. :lol:

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice. We rented all the guns we were considering and some that we weren't and our results were surprising. The recoil of the tiny 380s were unacceptable to my wife, so the TCP was out, and my top ten list flipped almost exactly. The SCCY ranked towards the bottom of the firing experience, worsted only by the Taurus Millennium G2. The top two, after firing, were the Kahr CW9 and the Kahr CM9. My wife's top two were the Ruger LC380 and the Kahr CW380. I hadn't read up much on the Kahr's, because I thought they were too expensive. After a great deal of more research into all the guns on our list, we decided to go with the CW9 for me, and the CT380 for her.

I ordered them from Tombstone Tactical, with a spare mag for the .380, for just over $650 for both. They arrived Thursday and will be going to the range on Monday.

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice. We rented all the guns we were considering and some that we weren't and our results were surprising. The recoil of the tiny 380s were unacceptable to my wife, so the TCP was out, and my top ten list flipped almost exactly. The SCCY ranked towards the bottom of the firing experience, worsted only by the Taurus Millennium G2. The top two, after firing, were the Kahr CW9 and the Kahr CM9. My wife's top two were the Ruger LC380 and the Kahr CW380. I hadn't read up much on the Kahr's, because I thought they were too expensive. After a great deal of more research into all the guns on our list, we decided to go with the CW9 for me, and the CT380 for her.

I ordered them from Tombstone Tactical, with a spare mag for the .380, for just over $650 for both. They arrived Thursday and will be going to the range on Monday.

Well, at least you took the advice of renting guns. One reason why I am keeping my Taurus TCP is to let other people shoot with it at the range.

Now, buy some bulk training ammo online, take a training class and practice regularly. Also, buy bulk self defense ammo and run it through your guns to check if it works.

Two initial observations

1. Some things you can only learn from experience.

2. There's no point in getting into a discussion with someone who has already made up their mind.

Having said that, my early attempts at buying firearms where characterized by attempts to scrimp and save money that always ended up costing more money when I had to replace inferior equipment with good quality products.

I don't go out of my way to buy top end firearms because they just don't appeal to me and I'd hate to watch a 3000$ Nighthawk take a one way trip into the evidence locker.

I don't buy low end because even though they're reliable over the short run they don't last and you end up buying another one anyway. A Highpoint will go bang every time you pull the trigger for about 5000 rounds. I have S&Ws that get that many in a year.

When I buy a new gun(I own less than 10) I figure at least 6 magazines, a quality holster and 1000 rounds into my start up costs. I hit the range once or twice a month and do a refresher course at least twice a year.

If I was pressed to name a specific gun I'd say hit the gun show and pick up a used Glock 19 for around 300 bucks and roll

My Taurus TCP has been back to the factory 2 times and I am getting ready to send it back for the 3rd and last time. I bought it about 5 years ago and it probably has less than 150 rounds through it. There have been and still are issues with feeding, ejecting and firing pin contacting very edge of firing cap--probably related to the feeding issue. I am sending it back with a more detailed explanation along with a shell casing showing the miss hit. But, I am replacing it with a Beretta PICO or possibly a Ruger LCP. I can't recommend Taurus.

I would say just do your online research. A lot has changed since this thread was created which shocks me how dead this form is but that's a whole other discussion. If you look up reviews of the new Taurus g2c you will read nothing but good reviews I actually own one and I can back up these reviews it is the best nicest shooting gun I have ever owned. The SCCY guns on the other hand your heart press to read much good about them kind of makes that decision easy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been looking at the TCP for my wife and possibly for my daughters to carry. What are the number of reasons you don't recommend the TCP?

I am considering the following pocket .380s for my wife:
Beretta Pico
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP
S&W Bodyguard
Colt Mustang XSP
Kahr CT380
Kahr CW380
Diamondback DB380
Glock 42
SCCY CPX-3 (if it ever makes it to market)

In 9mm, I am considering the folowing for myself and possibly my wife if she likes and can fire them:
SCCY CPX-2
Taurus 709
Ruger LC9s
Beretta Nano
S&W MP Shield
Glock 43

We will be going to a local range that rents guns and will be able to fire most, but not all, of these.

The statement "How much is your life worth?" is BS and pretentious. Why should I pay $500 or up if I can pay half that and get a reliable handgun. "You get what you pay for" is the same. I'm currently driving a well cared for older Mercedes. It has just as many issues as the average car that cost half as much new. Except that it costs twice as much to get things fixed. I have been to the gun specific forums and have read just as many horror stories about the Glocks and S&Ws as I found for the Taurus and Sccy's. The one thing that I did find different was the customer service and warranty stories. Taurus and SCCY appear to take care of problems much more promptly and with less hassle than any other manufacturer that I read about. If you don't like Taurus, or you don't like SCCY, then tell me about your experience with them and why. But don't just put them down because they cost less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one thing I would say. Make sure your wife can rack the slide before she purchase one. I’ve had about all that you listed. Love the pico. But it’s a bear to rack.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back