See someone printing do you say anything?

scdapmp

I did a search for this but couldn't find the topic.

I was out getting coffee with some friends last night, I noticed a table of 3 younger guys (24-28) two of them where printing, one much worse than the other. When I say printing I mean the kind that scares me. I could see more than just the Butt of the gun but the slide as well... it was a 1911 of some kind (later found out Kimber full size)

Do you say something? Do you slide them a note? Do you ignore it? What is the etiquette here? Usually when I see someone carrying it is because they cant stop fidgeting, adjusting or checking it. I know I would like someone to tell me...

There where a couple road blocks though, I was with a large group of people only one of which knows I carry, and there where 3 of them only 2 I know where carrying.

What if it was a job interview and I say something now he can't get the job or a date, or some similar situation.

It all ended up working out, I was to the bathroom and while inside he walked in, we had a chance to chat. He and his friend just got there lic's and where using kydex holsters with tec-locs, I told him that was great range gear but they may want to rethink for CC. I'm no expert on gear (still using OWB Galco) and probably more likely to see a fellow CC'r than the average citizen but it was bad.

Thoughts?

I did a search for this but couldn't find the topic.

I was out getting coffee with some friends last night, I noticed a table of 3 younger guys (24-28) two of them where printing, one much worse than the other. When I say printing I mean the kind that scares me. I could see more than just the Butt of the gun but the slide as well... it was a 1911 of some kind (later found out Kimber full size)

Do you say something? Do you slide them a note? Do you ignore it? What is the etiquette here? Usually when I see someone carrying it is because they cant stop fidgeting, adjusting or checking it. I know I would like someone to tell me...

There where a couple road blocks though, I was with a large group of people only one of which knows I carry, and there where 3 of them only 2 I know where carrying.

What if it was a job interview and I say something now he can't get the job or a date, or some similar situation.

It all ended up working out, I was to the bathroom and while inside he walked in, we had a chance to chat. He and his friend just got there lic's and where using kydex holsters with tec-locs, I told him that was great range gear but they may want to rethink for CC. I'm no expert on gear (still using OWB Galco) and probably more likely to see a fellow CC'r than the average citizen but it was bad.

Thoughts?

I think you did well by being discreet. Bringing the printing to light so that everyone else became informed, including those who were not carrying, or those didn't know what was happening, would have been contra-indicated. You did well, possibly preventing any unnecessary and nasty "911 Person With a Gun" calls.

if its legal for them to carry leave them alone its there right

Did you read the post? If you did, then this is a silly comment, not to mention irrellevant to the topic. (BTW, are you going to inquire as to the legality of their carry) No one is questioning rights and legalities. It's a question of etiquette and "brotherhood".

I think you did the right thing. :yes4: One would presume that a person carrying concealed wants it to be just that, concealed. Like you said, to just waltz up to him and say "Hey, your gun is showing" would have been counterproductive to the CC world, not to mention the headache for the guys who were printing. Discression is the best method for these scenarios. And I bet the guy really appreciated it, I know I would have.

I would think most are open to suggestions

As you can see, I am from Illinois so I do not have the opportunity to carry. When I do move out of this state I will carry and I would sure welcome any constructive criticism if I were inadvertently drawing attention to myself or my weapon. The advice of experienced carriers would be greatly appreciated.

I think you did a great job with those "kids."

Steve

I've been carrying for several months now, and i am still concerned about printing. If it were me, i would prefer and hope that someone would discretely tell me that i'm printing.

I say good job. You are a benefit to the CCW community, scdapmp.

Please excuse this ignorant sounding questions, but...is printing when you can see the outline of the weapon through the shirt or the bottom of the weapon is showing?

I had occasion just today to mention something like this to someone who turned out to be a LEO (Hey...this IS New Jersey!). Anyway, the muzzle of his Smith (I later learned) was poking out from under his light jacket. I smiled at him, said "Hi...how ya doin'", and followed it up by pointing out, gently, "'Scuze me, but your slip is showing." while nodding toward his hip. He got the idea immediately and covered up, but it got the point across with a touch of humor.

I had occasion just today to mention something like this to someone who turned out to be a LEO (Hey...this IS New Jersey!). Anyway, the muzzle of his Smith (I later learned) was poking out from under his light jacket. I smiled at him, said "Hi...how ya doin'", and followed it up by pointing out, gently, "'Scuze me, but your slip is showing." while nodding toward his hip. He got the idea immediately and covered up, but it got the point across with a touch of humor.

:eek:fftopic:
I'm a US Army Veteran, DLI trained, 98G, ASA, who loves your signature! Thank you for your service! When were you in Berlin? I was there one summer, '79 or '80 or thereabouts.

2 things:

Is there anything wrong with printing? I'd figure it's just like open carry.

1: If OC isn't legal in your location, then printing may get you in trouble.

2: If someone is CC'ing, it is presumed that he prefer that the public not know that he is armed. If he is printing and some weapon-fearing anti-gunner recognizes the imprint as a gun, the local PD will likely get a "guy with a gun" phone call. If a criminal sees the imprint and decides to carry out his plot anyway, the CC'er is now a primary target.

Being discreet was I would say the proper way of handling it. Now, just to go another step further from the OP question..........
"if OC isn't legal in your location, then printing may get you in trouble"(utimmer43). What if this was the situation? There is an imprint of your firearm......it is actually Concealed isn't it? Let's still stay on OP topic/question; do not mean to throw people off, just wanted too add to the question asked). As stated, it MAY get you in trouble, but I see it as, if it is concealed then there should be no problem. That would be My argument.

The reason I say "may" get you in trouble is that I'm not 100% sure of every state's laws concerning OC. I seem to recall having read something in some states laws, where OC was illegal, stating that the gun must be totally concealed and there must be no discernable imprint. Maybe that is a figment of my imagination, as I have no idea where I read/heard/dreamt it. But it sure wouldn't surprise me in, say, MA/ CA/ NJ/ NY.

A very discrete pointing it out can be appropriate and you did well with how you handled it. DO NOT run up to the person and say "Hey Bud, you gun is showing!". As I understand printing concerns vary from state to state and the fact that OC may be legal in a state does not cut it. Most states require OC to be completely open and covered but printing won't pass for OC so you can get into trouble both ways there.

In this case you found that they were fairly new to CC and needed help in their quest. This is something that we all can use, help when we are doing something not exactly correctly. Here in SC I have never heard of printing being an issue but I am sure it could be under the right conditions. You are sitting there eating your lunch and someone starts yelling MWAG is going to cause problems. CC means completely concealed, OC means means compeletey Open and never the twain shall meet.

Please excuse this ignorant sounding questions, but...is printing when you can see the outline of the weapon through the shirt or the bottom of the weapon is showing?

Yes, and the only kind of ignorant question is one that is not asked...

Yes, and the only kind of ignorant question is one that is not asked...

Maybe!

Why do they call it Golf?
All of the other four letter words were taken

Why are there 18 holes on a golf course?
Because there are exactly 18 nips in a bottle of scotch

Why are manholes round?
So the cover won't fall in.

Why is a revolver sometimes called a six-shooter?
Because they could shoot exactly six reels of film in the old westerns before the good guy had to reload.

Why a fecal stools tapered?
So your anus don't slam shut.

Why does Rosie O'Donald keep getting TV roles?
That is the mystery of the universe.

lol thanks Mr. Vegas...btw...your in my home state...I am from Nevada...but now am a Virginian...go figure!

If someone saw me printing I would appreciate being discretely informed. However, I'm not sure I would tell someone else (most likely not). They may say thanks or just as easily say they don't care.

Yes. Printing is exactly that.

Obviously, printing is counter-productive to the concept of concealed carry. The weapon is no longer concealed properly.

If I were printing my CCW, I would hope someone with common sense would discretely tell me as opposed to some hysterical, anti-gun, conflict resolution Nazi.:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back