Security screening by GA State Patrol at GA State Capitol in Atlanta

PackingPastor

I had an interesting experience yesterday in Atlanta. I drove downtown to attend a breakfast sponsored by the Faith & Freedom Coalition, followed by lobbying our state legislators to favor bills in both the House and Senate regarding religious freedom (RFRA). After breakfast, I stopped by my car to deposit my handgun, pocketknives and tactical flashlight, and then I walked across the street to enter the Capitol to begin my lobbying efforts (my first time to do that, btw). The lines were long, so the GSP invited anyone who didn't have a bag to be scanned to walk around to the right of the metal detector to be wanded by hand by an officer. I took out my tactical pen, keys and iPhone and lifted my arms to allow the officer to wave his wand over and around my body, and I was startled when he stopped and began to examine my pocket on the right side. (I was wearing a dress shirt and sport coat for the occasion.) All of a sudden, I remembered that I had put my spare magazines and my pepper spray in my jacket pockets, and he had found them. I thought about panicking, but I calmly explained that I had left my pistol in my car but forgot to also leave behind my spare mags and pepper spray. The officer removed both mags and pepper spray and showed them to another officer who was looking at the monitor for the bag scanner, but he said they weren't illegal to carry, so the officer returned them to me, I put them back in my pockets and went on my way. I was a bit amused, interpreting the looks on their faces to be saying, "Can you believe he's carrying all of this stuff?" All in all, it was a pleasant encounter.

BTW, I always try to carry two extra magazines (with my usual setup, that means I have 22 rounds on me at any given time), as well as a couple of less lethal CQC options, such as pepper spray, pocket knives (usually two), monkey fists (usually two) a tactical flashlight and a tactical pen.

Maybe need to be more careful. When I enter the St Louis Federal building, they allow absolutely NOTHING. Not even a tiny keychain blade. Can't even enter the parking lot with "weapons" in your vehicle.

Maybe need to be more careful. When I enter the St Louis Federal building, they allow absolutely NOTHING. Not even a tiny keychain blade. Can't even enter the parking lot with "weapons" in your vehicle.

We're much easier down here in GA. In 2014, the Gov signed what's been called by the gun grabbers the "Guns Everywhere" law. It relaxed a lot of laws that were on the books restricting carry, and they were already pretty lenient.

We're much easier down here in GA. In 2014, the Gov signed what's been called by the gun grabbers the "Guns Everywhere" law. It relaxed a lot of laws that were on the books restricting carry, and they were already pretty lenient.

Before more nonsense gets posted in this thread, please understand the differences: St Louis Federal Building vs. GA State Capitol.

Before more nonsense gets posted in this thread, please understand the differences: St Louis Federal Building vs. GA State Capitol.

Noted; however, so far, all that's been posted are FACTS. What's the "nonsense" to which you referred? Oh, I think I get it. Are you referring to my comment about things being easier here in GA, which refers to our STATE laws? OK.

Noted; however, so far, all that's been posted are FACTS. What's the "nonsense" to which you referred? Oh, I think I get it. Are you referring to my comment about things being easier here in GA, which refers to our STATE laws? OK.

FACTS combined in the wrong way can still be nonsense. See your last post about that, starting out with "We're much easier down here in GA.". Given that you replied to a post that talked about a federal building, there is NOTHING easier down there in GA. The guns everywhere laws of GA, which I really like, don't apply to federal buildings. You still can't legally carry into a Post Office or leave your gun in the car parked in the Post Office parking lot, for example. Mobuck, however, did start this confusion by talking about the laws for federal facilities in a thread about a state facility in the first place.

FACTS combined in the wrong way can still be nonsense. See your last post about that, starting out with "We're much easier down here in GA.". Given that you replied to a post that talked about a federal building, there is NOTHING easier down there in GA. The guns everywhere laws of GA, which I really like, don't apply to federal buildings. You still can't legally carry into a Post Office or leave your gun in the car parked in the Post Office parking lot, for example. Mobuck, however, did start this confusion by talking about the laws for federal facilities in a thread about a state facility in the first place.

Gotcha! As long as the PO doesn't own the parking lot, though, it's OK to have a gun in the car. Right? Like if the PO is in a rented space in a strip mall. And wasn't there a case out west somewhere a few years ago where that whole gun in the car in the PO parking lot got challenged and the person in trouble for it got off?

Gotcha! As long as the PO doesn't own the parking lot, though, it's OK to have a gun in the car. Right? Like if the PO is in a rented space in a strip mall. And wasn't there a case out west somewhere a few years ago where that whole gun in the car in the PO parking lot got challenged and the person in trouble for it got off?

If the parking lot is not owned by the PO, then the PO rules of conduct on PO property (39 CFR 232.1) don't apply.

As for the case you speak off: US Appeals Court: No Firearms On U.S. Postal Property At All. Sorry, Parking Lot!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back