Securing for Readily Accessible Car Carry

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
If you have a readily accessible gun in your car, how do you keep it secure and ready for use? I've heard of some people putting it in gloveboxes, but I really don't want to have to reach over and dig through that with a second or two to spare. I have a small car with a center console...I'm pretty sure it would work great to put it muzzle down in there, if I could find a center console holster that would do the job. That also has the advantage of providing a very swift draw - flipping the lid open is far quicker than reaching into an IWB.

Does anyone else have a spot that works? Mounting a holster to the underside of your dash...under the seat...?

It depends on your state law whether you can conceal a weapon in your car and not on yourself. In SC anyone can carry a loaded handgun as long as it is in the center console or in the glove compartment and it doesn't have to be locked. I usually just throw an extra weapon with a pocket holster in my center console when I'm out and about. Easy to get to and legal.

If i am carrying in the car,i usually have the gun in an uncle mikes kydex holster and i put it between my seat and the console.It is easily accesible and i can cover it with a small hand towel if i choose,or just leave it uncovered for fast easy access.

car carry options

Good question, toreskha. I get by with tucking my piece under my left thigh. I can only do this with my j-frame or kel-tec p3at. The p99 is too big. An option for full size weapons is a "Kingston rig" named after Kingston, Jamaica. This kind of rig is strapped to the seat and holds the gun on the front of the seat between your knees with the muzzle down. Yet another option is a roto-holster from Fobus. They make various mounts for vehicles. I hope this gives you ideas. Post a review if you pick something up.

-Drive fast and shoot straight

My feeling is that I want my weapon on me all the time. No "car carry" for me. ;)
Of course you want it on you - but try drawing that while sitting in the car; it might be difficult on short notice. Keep your concealed weapon on you; a "car gun" can be bigger and doesn't have to be concealed quite as well.

This could be useful during an attempted carjacking, for car trouble, if you pull up to your house and realize something is wrong, etc.

Of course you want it on you - but try drawing that while sitting in the car; it might be difficult on short notice. Keep your concealed weapon on you; a "car gun" can be bigger and doesn't have to be concealed quite as well.

This could be useful during an attempted carjacking, for car trouble, if you pull up to your house and realize something is wrong, etc.

No sir... drawing from my IWB holster is not difficult at all because I have practiced it. Being separated from my weapon would be very difficult indeed.

You don't see police officers removing their weapons and placing them in their car or keeping a spare "car gun". If anyone was going to need their weapon on short notice while in the car it would be the police officer.

Also, I know of no law enforcement or civilian firearms training that advocates separating yourself from your weapon.

Nope, I do not believe it's realistic or practical. ;)

No sir... drawing from my IWB holster is not difficult at all because I have practiced it. Being separated from my weapon would be very difficult indeed.

You don't see police officers removing their weapons and placing them in their car or keeping a spare "car gun". If anyone was going to need their weapon on short notice while in the car it would be the police officer.

Also, I know of no law enforcement or civilian firearms training that advocates separating yourself from your weapon.

Nope, I do not believe it's realistic or practical. ;)
I don't recall saying anything about separating oneself from their weapon. :confused:

LEOs typically have a choice between their sidearm which is in an external holster, and other options, such as a shotgun or rifle (this is in effect a "car gun"). Except for some undercover operations, they generally aren't faced with having to draw a concealed weapon while sitting in a car with a seatbelt on.

Obviously, you have your regular weapon on you at all times. It's on you whether you're in or out of the car. That's a foregone conclusion.

Additionally, many people carry a second or third alternate weapon in their car - in an area that can be quickly accessed, and more quickly than in their waistband in a sitting position. For example, under the dashboard, between the seat and center console, in the map console on the door, etc.

Maybe if you drive vehicle with lots of room, an IWB would be the quickest method possible, but it's a different scenario with big people who drive small cars. I have a hard time getting anything out of my pockets, much less out of a concealed holster. Thus, I want to get an additional gun to keep in the car.

My take is

that it isn't efficient but is practical for the average Joe. The fact is that many people who carry practice on the range but a sizeable number who own firearms don't. Several states allow carry in the vehicle separately from carrying concealed. Even for those who get in a couple of range sessions a month, practicing drawing your firearm while sitting down in a bucket seat is simply not something that is safe or easy to work on.

As for the police officer situation I see that as very different. Maybe some of our LEO's can comment but I suspect a big factor for on-duty officers is the amount of time that they are hopping in and out of their cars, leaving the windows down and the vehicle not fully secured. Long guns are usually locked to the dash or secured in the trunk. Having to put your pistol in the console, lock/unlock and reholster/unholster every time you get in and out would be a real pain as well as slowing down your response and movement significantly. The more you touch the gun, the more chance of an accident. Hollywood aside, I am not sure cops still try to shoot from moving vehicles during chases and are usually out of their cars when a weapons up situation occurs.

Personally, I usually carried SOB unless I was in a restricted area or long drive and was always comfortable and confident. Occasionally, I placed the weapon (holstered) between the seat and console or in the console itself depending on the car and the gun.

Think through the likely scenarios, assess your skills (strengths and weaknesses), then do what seems tactically best given safety, danger, etc.

I bought a strap on cover thing from Walmart to keep the kid's feet from destroying the back of the passenger seat. Then the other day I realized that, when I am sans kidlet, I can put my .357-Uncle Mike's IWB combo in the behind-the-seat pocket. The seat cover thing keeps it out of sight, but I can still easily draw it if need be.

It's like Nissan built the Altima fo those wanting to carry the handgun in the car.....heres mine.
Incognito:
Link Removed

Ready to Rock & Roll, with spare mag & rail mounted light of course.
Link Removed

With a little ingenuity it always possible to stash a gun that's near to hand in a vehicle. If you are going to need it, then chances are you'll need it in a hurry, so it should be readily accessible.

But the option I prefer is to use a good outside crossdraw holster with no cant at the 9 or 10 o'clock position. This is my EDC mode. This carry mode is so much more utilitarian in all situations that I can't imagine why it is not more widely used. Whether in a vehicle, at a table or desk, or walking, the gun is readily available. Don Hume makes a dandy holster, the JIT model, which works great for either a strong side or crossdraw carry.

I have a Sure Set Holster Mount attached to the floor between the driver and passenger floorboards. Here's a photo from their website:

Link Removed

Their website is :
Link Removed

I just put a hat over the gun if I'm leaving it in the vehicle for any reason.

All good ideas.
I stick mine,in the holster,in between the passenger seat and the center consolewith a piece of paper or something against the clip so it don't scratch the console.It's easily and quickly accessible,and I can throw something over it to cover it up at a traffic light or stop sign or in case I get pulled over by a LEO ,so they don't panic.

The New MINI ('07 or newer on the R56 platform) has an interesting feature... A push on the dash panel above the glovebox opens a hidden compartment just big enough for a small frame automatic. VERY cool! When I get back on my feet . . . foot . . . I'll take a picture and post it here.

I found a very functional and reasonable car holster made by DeSantis called the Kingston™ Car Seat Holster. It is very practicle, affordable and makes alot of sense. Check it out and you might like it:
Link Removed

Last edited:
I carry a S&W 5904 in 9mm under my seat in my truck. I have a nylon holster with an adjustable strap, I just wrapped that around the frame on the seat. And I rigged some heavy wire to support the other end.
I have to bend down as far as I can to reach it, but if I'm being shot at or whatever, I would be ducking at first anyway. But you can't even see it unless you put your face on the floor board, and shine a flashlight under the seat.

I found a very functional and reasonable car holster made by DeSantis called the Kingston™ Car Seat Holster. It is very practicle, affordable and makes alot of sense. Check it out and you might like it:
Link Removed
The one flaw that I notice just from looking at the picture is that the user would be sitting on a plastic buckle that's rather large for comfort. Maybe a fixture on the front of the seat, without the accompanying belt, would make it easier to use.

How Do You Carry In Your Vehicle

How do you carry in your vehicle? When I was living in Nevada I was able to carry in the open which is what I prefer. I would have my gun in a slim nylon holster that I took the belt clip off of and stuck it in between my seat and console. All I have to do is ready down and grab it.

Here is Florida, I currently carry my Glock 23 in my car at all times since my G26 is now my carry gun. Right now I leave it in the center console as I can't have it in the open unless it is in a holster with a thumb break. But I will be ordering one this week so that I can start carrying it back between the seat and console.

I just think it is too hard and would take too long to try and get to my concealed gun while in my car whether it was on my body or in the console itself.

Thought and opinions?

It kind of depends on the time of the year and how I am carrying. For instance in fall or winter when the weather is cooler I often wear a leather vest from Coranaco Leather. This has inside gun pockets on each side and so my gun/guns are in them when in the car. At other times when using a regular holster I take out my firearm and carry it in the console for comfort and easy access.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back