Securing firearm in vehicle

Just a note that some states, SC included, require the storage of a firearm in a separate and locked area of vehicle--ie: console, glove compartment, trunk, unless you are CC, in which case, as long as firearm is on your person, you can CC in car. Obviously, once firearm is not on you it must be locked in separate area of vehicle--cubby hole, under seat, makeshift whatever hiding etal is illegal, lockbox is.

SC SECTION 16-23-20 says you can carry a gun in the console, glove compartment or trunk that needs to be closed. It does not need to be locked. A lockbox is not illegal in SC, as long as it isn't under the seat and is fastened to the car in some way.

Link Removed

Parking your car on a Post Office owned lot even with a lock box is a no no. I have a car safe but will not shop anywhere that blocks carry. Usually use it when bird hunting and leaving pistol in truck. Lock box is hidden from casual view.
Yeah, i use a lockbox and park across the street and drop my mail in the corner mailbox. For packages, I use the fedex website and have them pick it up.

Wonder why post offices are federal property considering that they are a private company...it's not like the James Unger gang is still robbing locomotives lol

The Console Vault is what I normally use, but it's not legal in Kalifornia because of the way their law is written so the Sentry Safe is a decent alternative. Living in Idaho and working in Idaho & Washington, "No Guns" signs don't carry the weight of law, so if I can't take my business elsewhere, I subscribe to the "concealed means concealed" and carry anyway, except the state and federally restricted areas.

Last edited:
i use a thick cabled bike lock .. put the cable through the trigger guard behind the trigger......and the seat frame and hide the magazine elsewhere or carry it with me if i do have to leave it in my vehicle i think it's a great and inexpensive way to secure your firearm in your vehicle

The Console Vault is what I normally use, but it's not legal in Kalifornia because of the way their law is written so the Sentry Safe is a decent alternative. Living in Idaho and working in Idaho & Washington, "No Guns" signs don't carry the weight of law, so if I can't take my business elsewhere, I subscribe to the "concealed means concealed" and carry anyway, except the state and federally restricted areas.

So you are saying that traveling through CA that I can't or not suppose to put my weapon in my console vault? I really don't like the ideal of doing that anyway because what if I got carjack and not haveing my weapon avaiable is senseless but I guess that I have to do what theire laws said.

California is nearly as bad as Illinois or New York regarding firearm transportation and, well, just about anything firearms-related. One of the reasons we left.

I have a small floor safe bolted through the floorboard with grade 8 bolts under a rear seat in my pickup. You will have to first find the safe then work your butt off to remove it or get it open.

Settled on a Nanovault NV300. Fits my XDM (with 9 rd. mag) and an extra mag like a glove. Has a cable and it's now secured under my passenger seat. Should be good for those far-and-few-between "Crap, can't carry in there" moments (those signs carry the force of law in Wisconsin). Won't stop a determined thief with the right tools, but should deter the typical smash and grab. Not visible at all from outside the vehicle with the doors closed and locked.

I just drop mine in the pocket in the door. It's out of sight and the door lock is good enough to keep thieves away from the XM and cell phones and all that jazz.
Then again, this has only come up with me when I was at an individual's house and was not carrying 'cause I knew I would be rough-housing with kiddies. Wherever you are might be different in a town in the parking lot of a business.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back