Secure storage in a vehicle

big0mike

Not as much TRAVEL, like state to state as most of these threads seem to be, but still in the realm...

I've usually got a firearm on me. Depending on what I'm doing it may have to stay in my vehicle but, like I tell people that ask stupid questions like "do you really need your gun (insert location)?", if it's not ON ME it can be taken and misused.

So, I'm looking for solutions for storing a handgun and even a carbine in the vehicle. Obviously, the more SECURE the longer it will take to get to it when needed.

Is there a happy medium? Anyone have a decent solution besides out of sight and hidden which is my current plan? Hopefully something that's not gonna cost me as much as a new, custom firearm?

Thanks for any thoughts, insight, or references.

Mike

A Link Removed tied with a steel cable to the passenger seat and stuffed underneath the passenger seat is a good solution for a handgun. It can be defeated with a bolt cutter, but it does protect against the quick smash and grab job.

More here:

Console Vault. Think they are for trucks and SUVs with console but not sure. I bought one and it is the best thing I bought last year. Absolutely easy to install, pretty near to impossible to steal it or from it, and completely hidden. Trucks have a lot of options for both pistol and long gun storage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Link Removed

A Link Removed tied with a steel cable to the passenger seat and stuffed underneath the passenger seat is a good solution for a handgun. It can be defeated with a bolt cutter, but it does protect against the quick smash and grab job.
Not a bad idea. The Nano looks like it may not be big enough for a 1911 Government Model but I like the Link Removed safe. More expensive but no fumbling with a key to open it.

The PACSAFE solution:
That would be absolutely worthless for anything you needed quick access to.

Console Vault. Think they are for trucks and SUVs with console but not sure. I bought one and it is the best thing I bought last year. Absolutely easy to install, pretty near to impossible to steal it or from it, and completely hidden. Trucks have a lot of options for both pistol and long gun storage.
Cool idea. But where do you put all the crap that's currently in your doghouse? :)

Seems the safe itself is secure but you take out your plastic console insides and replace it with this that has only two screws (maybe more depending on the model) holding it into the same plastic mount? Seems like it might be difficult to grasp but if you could get a good grip on it those two screws would bust right outta that plastic? Am I missing something?

On my old '99 Yukon it had two cupholders at the front of the doghouse. They were actually just a tray snapped into place so I could pop it out in seconds and kept my weapon in there. No one would have even thought that they were removable. I should try to figure out a way to do the same on my '03 Yukon...

Stay away from biometric safes if you want quick access. Fingerprint sensors are just not a good idea for this. GunVault does have push button safes as well.

Fort Knox has a number of safes with the simplex lock, which is known to be the most reliable quick access lock. They aren't cheap though. Take a look at Dean Safe, more specifically at the mechanically locking handgun safes and the vehicle safes.

Other solutions for rifle storage include some type of tool box, either specifically fitted/designed for the vehicle or just a generic tool box.

Not a bad idea. The Nano looks like it may not be big enough for a 1911 Government Model but I like the Link Removed safe. More expensive but no fumbling with a key to open it.

That would be absolutely worthless for anything you needed quick access to.

Cool idea. But where do you put all the crap that's currently in your doghouse? :)

Seems the safe itself is secure but you take out your plastic console insides and replace it with this that has only two screws (maybe more depending on the model) holding it into the same plastic mount? Seems like it might be difficult to grasp but if you could get a good grip on it those two screws would bust right outta that plastic? Am I missing something?

On my old '99 Yukon it had two cupholders at the front of the doghouse. They were actually just a tray snapped into place so I could pop it out in seconds and kept my weapon in there. No one would have even thought that they were removable. I should try to figure out a way to do the same on my '03 Yukon...
There are four screws on mine, they are fastened from inside the safe, and when it's locked they are not accessible. It would take a very determined person with a lot of time to do it and 99% of these crimes are smash and grab. I think they make one for the Yukons too.

Hi, Recently, one of my friends told me about the top opening drawer safe. It comes in two sizes 15″ & 17″. Even there features and design are also good. They have an ADA compliant keypad, fully motorized with two locking bolts, laptop size, LED display, emergency openings by electronic override and manual key and much more. For more information about the Global Drawer Safe, you can check the online resources.

I'm looking for a box that would go under my seat and lock securely with bolts that go from the inside down into the floor pan. I have a hatchback and a convertible, so I really want something out of sight and secured to the vehicle.

I'm looking for a box that would go under my seat and lock securely with bolts that go from the inside down into the floor pan. I have a hatchback and a convertible, so I really want something out of sight and secured to the vehicle.
As previously mentioned, a Console Vault is great for truck and SUV owners. Hidden, easy to install, spring loaded top, enough room for any full size pistol and some ammo, and I think mine was less than $300.00. They have their own site and Cabela's has them also. Money well spent.

What worked best for me was getting a small pistol safe and zip-tying it to the lower lever of my seat. It works on a fingerprint technology so getting my gun out of the safe is a breeze.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back