Sears and Kmart - Defense Free Zones

See that "specifically permitted by state law" thing would be a NEGATIVE for OC in Nevada!!

You see in Nevada OC is NOT ILLEGAL... That is, there is no law against it, however there is ALSO no law "specifically permitting it" So by that standard Sears Still has a NO OC policy in Nevada... :angry:

Same is true for Wisconsin. Understand that law is not a statute but rather the Constitution. The Constitution is the only law. In Wisconsin our Constitution provides for all Wisconsin Residents and visitors to the state, the The Right to Keep and Bear Arms. The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America is the Final Word.

Because there is no law against OC in Nevada, it is specifically permitted by your Constitution and therefore legal. Check your state constitution.

THE CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF NEVADA

Sec. 11. Right to keep and bear arms; civil power supreme.
1. Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes.

The last five words are the most pertinent to this thread. That is your express permission and the rule of law that Kmart/Sears needs to adhere to.

iv been open carrying in mi for about 4 mouths now
Glad to hear it. Good job and carry on. A right not exercised is a right lost.

I've been open carrying in Wisconsin for a couple of years now. We have changed several company policies regarding Open Carry, in several larger chain stores and made them aware of their own company policy in scores of others. Many managers do not even know their own company's policies. Most businesses will go along with state law.

We have successfully litigated against municipalities and police departments who abridged our Constitutional rights and we won both monetary awards and changes in statutes and policies of both the municipality and the police dept.

We have protested fascist behavior of our very own state police at their headquarters in Wisconsin. We carried both sidearms and signs. "Protect and Serve not harass and coerce!" Open Carry and Concealed Carry are our sovereign rights to self-defense.

Glad you're one of us. Stand tall. You should be proud of yourself.

Hardballer out.

This is what was just posted by another gun owner who is local to me, who helped out in this situation more then i was able to.

So consider the boycott over, and thank you to everyone that joined in and sent emails, we have a new response from Sears!

SCJeffro said:
After making about 6 calls and talking to 10 different people, the 2nd to last last being a VP of something or other who referred me to the investigator/case manager who sent this email...

Quote:
Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: [email protected]

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday
I have removed my case number (as it is attached at SEARS to my email, home address and phone number through my old SEARS account)

So there you go, I feel this is enough for me to stop the SEARS boycott, in fact maybe you can print it out and take it to the store that kicked you out and tell the manager and Security guy to contact the Sears Senior Counsel themselves if they have questions!

Based on Paintsnow's information I wrote back Dylan C (see my earlier post) and told him he needed to update his information and inserted the information in Paintsnow's post.
Just spreading the word within their organization.

In Wisconsin, we Open Carry. There is no concealed carry here. I carry a full sized Stainless 1911, cocked and locked on my waist in a belt slide, thumb break holster. Illinois is the only state I am aware of that does not allow carry for it's citizens.

Hopefully, Wisconsin will join Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona in a blanket carry without the bureaucracy, licensing and taxation. CCW is BS. Licensing you to allow you to exercise your Constitutional Right is a crock and every time we buy into this BS about reasonable laws or responsible legislation that infringes on our right to keep and bear arms, we are losing.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but this has to stop. Can anybody please explain to me why any state needs to license your concealed carry. Please let me know how this prevents crime since the BGs carry concealed regardless of law. If the licensing isn't there to prevent crime; which it is not, it is a tax on your Constitutional right. plain and simple. Wake up. These laws are just there to harass and screw with law abiding citizens. The rest is tax and track.

So I wouldn't be to proud of CCW unless you're from Vermont, Alaska, or Arizona. Short of that, you've been buffalo'd.

Well, we can open carry in Indiana only if you have a licence to carry. It does not say CCW only, it says licence to carry a handgun. OC is a personal preference, so is CC. Any kind of licence is just a way for a state to make some money in my opinion, but with so many people around anymore, I guess they have to keep some kind of track as to what people are building or hunting - just to name a couple. I do agree with you about the handgun permits though. Next thing you know, they will try to get people to get a permit to carry a pocket knife!

Based on Paintsnow's information I wrote back Dylan C (see my earlier post) and told him he needed to update his information and inserted the information in Paintsnow's post.
Just spreading the word within their organization.

This is clearly the same thing we see with other places that have similar policies, (IE Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) where the policy is never or has not yet been distributed out to all the store managers and staff. We just need to keep "educating" the "sheeple" that work at these places to what THEIR OWN POLICIES really are!

:secret:

This is clearly the same thing we see with other places that have similar policies, (IE Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) where the policy is never or has not yet been distributed out to all the store managers and staff. We just need to keep "educating" the "sheeple" that work at these places to what THEIR OWN POLICIES really are!

:secret:
Since Open Carry is NOT legal for the most part in Florida (there are exceptions), nobody in Sears will know that I'm carrying anywayz, so no real opportunity to educate. So, educating the home office is my best choice.

Kmart a no carry zone? I hate to say it, but I think thats wrong information. I openly carried in a Kmart not even 3 days ago, no incident, I also conceal carry in there. Again, no incident [might be because they dont see it? lol] But, either way, it might vary by manager, or by state.

Kmart a no carry zone? I hate to say it, but I think thats wrong information. I openly carried in a Kmart not even 3 days ago, no incident, I also conceal carry in there. Again, no incident [might be because they dont see it? lol] But, either way, it might vary by manager, or by state.

It USED to be a corporate policy a couple days ago that no firearms were allowed. Sure enforcement might not have been consistent across the board, and could have possibly varied by manager, but the policy was on the books, and the whole corporation did not want citizens carrying at any of their Sears or Kmart locations. Please go back and see the responses received from corporate representatives.

A letter was sent down from Sears Senior Councel (Sears Holdings Corporation owns Kmart, so this decision applies to all Sears and Kmart retail locations) stating that the policy now is to allow firearms in all of their locations where state and local laws permit it.

Thanks to the hard work of SCJeffro and everybody who emailed and mailed Sears Corporate, we have achieved a victory for our RKBA.

Iceman I completely disagree with you on many levels. With the right training you can be able to shoot from over 7 yards away. Also because of the Federal Government some of us are not legally old enough to carry again however out state does permit us to open carry. I think your take on open carry is very wrong. I open carry not because I want to show off my gun but because I can not carry a firearm any other way. If I could, yeah I would more than love to go and out get my CCW carry 1 or more guns with me and never let anybody see it.

Iceman I completely disagree with you on many levels. With the right training you can be able to shoot from over 7 yards away. Also because of the Federal Government some of us are not legally old enough to carry again however out state does permit us to open carry. I think your take on open carry is very wrong. I open carry not because I want to show off my gun but because I can not carry a firearm any other way. If I could, yeah I would more than love to go and out get my CCW carry 1 or more guns with me and never let anybody see it.

Playing referee here, nothing ever gets accomplished by telling someone that their take on a certain mode of carry is (very) wrong. Everyone's got their own perspective and opinion, and it's theirs to have. I've got my own view, as do you, as does he, and nobody's definitively right or wrong. My perspective tends to vary greatly from those who are strictly anti-OC, but that's their opinions to have. I've said it a million times - both modes of carry have their +'s and -'s. Myself, being pro-OC, am sick of the "wild west" references, the opinion that OC is only for attention, is just stupid, it's to show off, etc. But I'm not going to waste my time and energy on trying to change those peoples' views. Just as no one should waste their time trying to change mine. For whatever reason you OC, in this case it being your only legal method, there will be those who "know" you're doing it for another reason... I think it best just to let them think whatever they're gonna think. They will anyway.

It USED to be a corporate policy a couple days ago that no firearms were allowed. Sure enforcement might not have been consistent across the board, and could have possibly varied by manager, but the policy was on the books, and the whole corporation did not want citizens carrying at any of their Sears or Kmart locations. Please go back and see the responses received from corporate representatives.

A letter was sent down from Sears Senior Councel (Sears Holdings Corporation owns Kmart, so this decision applies to all Sears and Kmart retail locations) stating that the policy now is to allow firearms in all of their locations where state and local laws permit it.

Thanks to the hard work of SCJeffro and everybody who emailed and mailed Sears Corporate, we have achieved a victory for our RKBA.

BTW, I posted the "new" Sears policy at Opencarry.Org - hope no one minds, seeing how we're all on the same team.

Playing referee here, nothing ever gets accomplished by telling someone that their take on a certain mode of carry is (very) wrong. Everyone's got their own perspective and opinion, and it's theirs to have. I've got my own view, as do you, as does he, and nobody's definitively right or wrong. My perspective tends to vary greatly from those who are strictly anti-OC, but that's their opinions to have. I've said it a million times - both modes of carry have their +'s and -'s. Myself, being pro-OC, am sick of the "wild west" references, the opinion that OC is only for attention, is just stupid, it's to show off, etc. But I'm not going to waste my time and energy on trying to change those peoples' views. Just as no one should waste their time trying to change mine. For whatever reason you OC, in this case it being your only legal method, there will be those who "know" you're doing it for another reason... I think it best just to let them think whatever they're gonna think. They will anyway.

#1 :agree:

Probably beating a dead horse here, but none of the 'it is corporate policy' stuff is true... I work for a company under Sears Holdings... And their policy nation wide is "Guns in the store is governed by the strictest possible law in its area". As in, if your state allows Open Carry, but for some reason your county or even city does not, then the store goes by the county/city law. If the county/city does allow open carry but the state in general does not allow open carry, then the store goes by the state's law. They will always, ALWAYS, go by the law that is considered the most 'strict' for your governmental area...

If anyone is thrown out because of OC or CC or whatever, then either you are not familiar with your actual gun laws in your state, county, city, or even township... Or, you just so happened to have a butt hurt Asset Protection employee/Nightshift Supervisor/Key Carrier/Manager that does not like guns in general. Luckily my store manager is an 'outdoorsman' and is around guns all the time because of his friends and such, so our store has the general mentality of "if there's a gun in the store, just keep an eye on him/her. They may be the person ending your life, or more hopefully SAVING your life".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back