SC's Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday

Red Hat

Yep, no joke. You read it correctly. Funny thing I hadn't heard of this and it was passed back in May. We now have a Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday that fall on the Friday after Thanksgiving and ends Saturday night at midnight. 48 hours of tax free firearms buying. Now if the Kel-Tec RFB would hit the market!

http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/71...7/0/IL0811.pdf

Note: The General Assembly established the following two additional sales tax holidays during the 2008 legislative session:

(1) Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday: This two-day sales tax holiday applies to purchases of handguns, rifles and shotguns and will take place every year on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. This year the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will take place on November 28th and 29th of 2008. Information concerning the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will be published later this year.

I like this article. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/story_content.asp?prodtype=tax&story_uid=26172

Guns galore: And then there's South Carolina's sales tax holiday.

The Palmetto State has come up with the most unique and certain to be talked about tax holiday ever. On the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, South Carolina will hold its Second Amendment Sales-Tax Holiday.

Yep, it's what it sounds like. On Nov. 28 and Nov. 29, South Carolina will waive collection of its 6 percent sales tax on the purchase of handguns, rifles and shotguns. The tax holiday will be an annual post-Thanksgiving event.

As a Texan, I've lived all my life dealing with jokes about what a gun happy lot we are, but South Carolina has put an end to those quips, at least for a while. I suspect, however, that there are some Lone Star State lawmakers who are kicking themselves for not coming up with this idea first.

A similar thread was started in the SC forum...

How about NC residents?

Can NC residents buy firearms in SC? I just live about 15 minutes across the state line.:wub:

Can NC residents buy firearms in SC? I just live about 15 minutes across the state line.:wub:
You can buy long guns. Federal law won't allow any handgun purchases out of state, only your home state.

There already has been a thread posted on this subject. I like the idea, although I wish I would last a lot longer than just one weekend in an election year.

Why do you ask? There has already been a thread posted on this subject, and you posted on it! Here it is:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/south-carolina/4380-tax-free-guns-part-house-bill.html
I know I started both of them. If you read my post at the top you will see that my last statement says; "A similar thread was started in the SC forum..." Not everyone reads the SC forum and I thought this was important enough to post here since this may be a president for other states to follow. This is why I asked...:yes4:

I know I started both of them. If you read my post at the top you will see that my last statement says; "A similar thread was started in the SC forum..." Not everyone reads the SC forum and I thought this was important enough to post here since this may be a president for other states to follow. This is why I asked...:yes4:

Sorry, please excuse, did you mean precedent?

Oregon's sales tax holiday lasts a little longer than that! It starts on January 1st and lasts until December 31. Every year.

NO SALES TAX IN OREGON :sarcastic:

That's cool that SC is doing that. Gives a person a few saved bucks in their pocket. Enough for a few boxes of shells?

That's awesome. We need something like that here in Florida right before the holidays. I can't count the number of times people have given me things I didn't want or couldn't use, whereas a gun would have been much appreciated. That, or cash.

Oregon's sales tax holiday lasts a little longer than that! It starts on January 1st and lasts until December 31. Every year.

NO SALES TAX IN OREGON :sarcastic:

That's cool that SC is doing that. Gives a person a few saved bucks in their pocket. Enough for a few boxes of shells?

that's awesome. other states should learn.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back