Scored some lead....

KimberPB

So I've been thinking about getting into casting my own .45acp and 9mm practice ammo. A buddy of mine is in the automotive business and gave me a 20 gallon bucket full of used wheel weights today.

It looks like I can get everything I need for around $130:

Lee Pro 4 20 lbs furnaces
Bullet molds (and handles) - not sure if I'm going to go with the 2 cavity to start or go ahead and get the 6 cavity
Lee Lube and sizing kit
Dipper
CleanCast Lead Fluxing

Is there anything I'm missing or don't really need?

Thanks guys!!

Get a Lee 20 lb pot with bottom pour. It's a lot faster than trying to dip and pour. Get the 6 cavity mold. You'll be glad you did. I have a Hensley & Gibbs 10 cavity 38 cal WC mold. 10 bullets at one time really adds up in a few minutes. Unless you have some tin or Linotype then you don't need the flux. I use pine sawdust for flux when I'm making hard casts. When you melt the wheel weights you'll probably find a few Babbitt weights. They won't melt and will float on top. Just throw those away.

Get a Lee 20 lb pot with bottom pour. It's a lot faster than trying to dip and pour. Get the 6 cavity mold. You'll be glad you did. I have a Hensley & Gibbs 10 cavity 38 cal WC mold. 10 bullets at one time really adds up in a few minutes. Unless you have some tin or Linotype then you don't need the flux. I use pine sawdust for flux when I'm making hard casts. When you melt the wheel weights you'll probably find a few Babbitt weights. They won't melt and will float on top. Just throw those away.

Thanks for the advice Red Hat!

Make certain you cast the bullets in a well-ventilated space. Lead fumes are very toxic and could lead to all sorts of bad health things over time. :hang3:

Make certain you cast the bullets in a well-ventilated space. Lead fumes are very toxic and could lead to all sorts of bad health things over time. :hang3:

Not really. As an instructor in the Air Force I had too much lead in my blood a couple times. This was caused by breathing the fumes that had lead particles in it. This was caused by having 20+ people firing at the same time in an indoor range. I've cast bullets for a long time and never had a lead problem from casting. Lead melts at 621 degrees Fahrenheit and boils at 3182 degrees Fahrenheit. There is no reason to ever heat lead up to the boiling point. Unless it boils there is no lead in the vapor. Some problems may occur when melting wheel weights because of all the crud that's on the weights. One major way to get lead in your system while casting is by not washing your hands after handling lead. If you put your fingers in your mouth or handle something before you eat it you will ingest lead.

Hey! That's a terrific idea... we could barter, sure!

How soon before you're ready? In another couple months the weather out here should be ideal.

Hey! That's a terrific idea... we could barter, sure!

How soon before you're ready? In another couple months the weather out here should be ideal.

The molds I want are out of stock till the 15th so I'll probably be putting the order in on the 15th. So hopefully I'll have my first batch done in a couple weeks. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get the hookups from any other tire shops.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back