Scope Question

What do you guys think?

Mounting a scope on top of the handle of an AR-15, or removing the handle and mounting it that way? I really am having a hard time deciding.

Is it an A2 or flattop. If its a flat top you don't want to mount it on a detachable handle. if its an A2 then that's your only option without changing the receiver. It will work not necessarily the best way. Not the most stable platform plus the sight height is about 3.6". If you do mount it this way might consider bedding it.

I'd remove the handle and mount the scope closer to the bore. That will make it considerably easier for you to achieve a good cheek weld.

I have mine on top of my detachable handle. I like having the option of still using my iron sights if needed.

I have mine on top of my detachable handle. I like having the option of still using my iron sights if needed.

Thats one of the reasons I was thinking of mounting it on top. Do you notice any performance difference having it mounted on top? Is it more difficult to shoot?

What do you guys think?

Mounting a scope on top of the handle of an AR-15, or removing the handle and mounting it that way? I really am having a hard time deciding.
I like the flat tops with a combination of scope and flip-up sights. I don't like having the scope so high above the bore. If you mount the scope down and have an A2 front sight, then the sight can get in the way of your scope sight picture. Just my opinions.

If the scope is mounted on the flat top, close to the rifle bore, the point of aim/point of impact will not be affected as much over distance as mounting on the handle would be. You have a couple of lines in this equation. A line from rifle chamber to target along the bore, and a line through the scope lenses to the target. The closer the starting points of these lines are to each other, the more parallel the lines will be. POA/POI will relate.

I tried a friend's AR15 with a Leopold Mark IV scope mounted on the carrying handle. I couldn't get a cheek weld at all. I was lucky to get a "chin weld".

i have a bushmaster m-4a2 with a carry handle as it's what i carried in the army and am used to,it gives the ability to still use the iron sites and using the scope is not a problem. its the way the army mounted on the a-2's!

That's why you use a picitinny mounted rear back up iron sight like Troy or MI.

The carry handle method is in my opinon an old and poor solution to mounting optics on your AR platform.

Remember, your boreline is already 2.5" from the height of the front and rear sights. How much more hold off do you want ? If your optic is mounted on the carry handle then your hold off is about 6" from the boreline in close quarters shooting, no matter how proficiently you zero the optic at 50-100 meters.

Use a decent quality mounting system like Larue Tactical mounts or A.R.M.S throw lever mounts that are repeatable zero when taken off and reinstalled back onto the flat top reciever. American Defense Manufacturing also makes quality mounts for both AP red dots and variable long range scopes. Also look at Bobro engineering mounts.

Link Removed

What kind of optic ?? Red dot, HWS or variable power scope ??

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back