Scenario Opinion

GeneralSumter

Based on an actual scenario that happened this week:
Link Removed

"A man walked into the CVS at 1603 U.S. Highway 17 shortly after 12 noon, said police... the man handed the clerk a note that implied he was armed, but the clerk didn't see a weapon. He demanded a variety of controlled substances..."

If you were the clerk and armed, do you comply, do you say no, do you draw down on him and hold him for the cops? I know... factors and all. Based on the video footage, let's say there was no one behind him and only a few patrons elsewhere in the store.

It all depends on the policies of the store. If for one thing the store allows (or requires) employees to CC, then I'm sure they would not condemn its use to detain a possible robber.

I would say that an armed clerk's best reaction would depend on whether he feels his life is in danger. If he does then it would probably be best for him to just cooperate with the robber. If he doesn't think he's in danger, then drawing his weapon might be a good idea. Other factors, such as the possibility of a bloodbath or whether he'll lose his job, also come into play; because of the existence of these other factors, each situation, and the best way to handle it, are different.

Give the jacka$$ a bunch of placebo pills. Tell him that they need to keep the bottles for insurance purposes. :laugh: I'd strongly recommend against drawing down on the guy unless life is in immediate danger. They guy implied he was armed, didn't actually show a weapon. If the clerk drew down on the guy, he'd probably be out of a job.

gf

I would say that an armed clerk's best reaction would depend on whether he feels his life is in danger. If he does then it would probably be best for him to just cooperate with the robber. If he doesn't think he's in danger, then drawing his weapon might be a good idea. Other factors, such as the possibility of a bloodbath or whether he'll lose his job, also come into play; because of the existence of these other factors, each situation, and the best way to handle it, are different.

If I felt my life was in danger and I were armed I would act to stop the threat by any means. This would not include cooperating until the criminal decides he doesn't want any witnesses.

I would say to give him the drugs and let the police handle it later, unless he actually draws a weapon or presents any other life threatening behavior. More than likely he is not carrying, but a few pills aren't worth escalating the situation. I think the best thing to do is let him walk out peacefully (all the while being prepared if he doesn't) and give the police a good description of him and his direction of travel.

However, if at any time the clerk actually feels nervous about this guys intentions, feels that he or a customer is actually in danger, disregard the above and use self defense strategy. It is always a situational call.

I don't know what laws are like in your respective state:
In my state Assault means to threaten battery means to actually attack someone.

30-3-2. Aggravated assault.
Aggravated assault consists of either:

A. unlawfully assaulting or striking at another with a deadly weapon;
B. committing assault by threatening or menacing another while wearing a mask, hood, robe or other covering upon the face, head or body, or while disguised in any manner, so as to conceal identity; or
C. willfully and intentionally assaulting another with intent to commit any felony.
Whoever commits aggravated assault is guilty of a fourth degree felony.

The bottom line: Someone that comes in to commit a felony (robbery) and implies a weapon (another felony) I'd more than likely draw as I don't beleive he's telling me he's got a weapon because he's a fellow shooting enthusiast, and would fear for my life.

It depends on the threat level

If the guy does not have his weapon showing but does have his hands hidden you do not know what is going on.
The clerk should activate the silent alarm and tell the guy to give him a minute because he has to bypass computer security measures or some other credible lie to buy some time.

If he truly fears for his life and there is the slightest hint of supporting evidence...put the bg in the hurt locker.

STOP the threat means just that...If you are going to pull it out be prepared to use it and do so without reservation.

If you do not have a lethal threat deadly force may not be justified in your state/city/county

This clearly puts the CC clerk behind the 8-ball put the whole situation is pretty nuts. Most hardened criminals have no problem with presenting a weapon and using it in a crime.

If you do not see a weapon the guy might not have one...Now you've shot a 16 Yr Old and all he had was a poorly written note and no gun

Give the jacka$$ a bunch of placebo pills. Tell him that they need to keep the bottles for insurance purposes. :laugh: I'd strongly recommend against drawing down on the guy unless life is in immediate danger. They guy implied he was armed, didn't actually show a weapon. If the clerk drew down on the guy, he'd probably be out of a job.

gf

Give him a bunch of Midol. :to_pick_ones_nose:

Going from the picture I notice two things. One is he already has his hand on what he says (and I must assume) is a weapon. A hand already on a gun is faster than 99.9 % of us can draw. Second thing is he seems to be focused intently on the clerk...so he doesn't appear to be distracted. In this scenario I think I would just give him what he wanted.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back