Scary Situation in Walmart Parking Lot

johnbergsing

I was walking out of Walmart this morning (5am) and noticed a nefarious-looking gentleman leaning up again the wall right next to the entrance/exit. No biggie until, after about 10 steps into the parking lot, he started to what appeared to be following me. I kept a level head and thought things out as best as I could. I realized he was likely going to walk right by but the way he looked at me when I exited the building and then started walking in my direction alarmed me. So when I got the trunk of my car, I positioned myself where I would have the best opportunity to draw my weapon if, in fact, he had malicious intent. As he drew near he kept looking at me as if to size me up. I thought, "WOW I may actually have to go through with this!" As he walked within 5 feet I was waiting for him to turn towards me but, FORTUNATELY, he kept walking by. My heart was racing a mile a minute as I kept an eye on him while I quickly loaded my groceries into the trunk. He continued to turn around and watch me as he walked so, once I was in the car and moving, I called the police and informed them of the incident. They said they'd send a patrol unit over there but i didn't stick around to wait for him.

So how would you have handled this situation? After I left I realized I'd never even considered turning around and heading back into the store. That would have probably been the smartest thing to do, in hindsight.

Making eye contact is always a good first step. The potential threat now knows that you're aware of him and surprise isn't likely. Thugs depend on surprising their victims. Other than that I think you did the right thing. I also have been approached by some shady types in a deserted parking lot and I used my truck to shield my pistol from their view (I had drawn it but kept it out of sight). I kept eye contact with them and they approached the other side of my truck and asked for a "ride". I said "no" and they continued on their way.

The alternative you mentioned is a good idea too - head back into the store and see what he does.

You did just fine IMO. You may also have done this, but I'd have had my head on a swivel looking for a partner - these guys often work in pairs.

I've trained my wife and myself to stop just inside the door of a mall or store and look, then look again just after we leave. You spotted him really soon so you do that too. Glad it worked out OK.

Fitch

-snip-As he walked within 5 feet I was waiting for him to turn towards me but, FORTUNATELY, he kept walking by. -snip-
Kudos on being aware of the guy right from the get go!

The following question isn't a negative comment... just something for you to think about...

Ummm.... is there some unsaid reason why you didn't move and create some distance so the guy couldn't get so close? Someone within 5 feet can be right up in your face in half a heartbeat. Far faster than anyone could draw a gun.

You were aware of your situation, all self defense starts there. Your eye contact made him aware that you knew of his intention. Your positioning made you as ready as possible. All this made the problem go away without having to draw the gun. Good job!

As you seem to be asking for possible improvements here is something to think about. Five feet was awful close, you might have tried to stop him with verbal commands sooner. With him only being ten paces away in the first place that is easier to say than to accomplish in the moment. I was unclear as to whether you had your groceries in a basket or or were carrying them in your hands. If you make it a habit to use the wheeled grocery carts, where available, to carry your purchase to the car you will have your hands free and a barrier to place between you and a potential attacker. When I see one I also push an empty cart back in on my way into the store.

Change directions, walk to another row of cars, if he is still following you it is a problem. I've freaked myself out about people just walking through the parking lot to the bus stop or other destination past my car.

I do occasionally get vagrants asking me for "a few bucks" for gas, the bus, food, a job, ect., but usually under more ideal conditions (daytime crowded home depot parking lot was the last one for example). It is clearly a vulnerable situation loading groceries into your vehicle in the dark, and the line between asking for "a few bucks" and trying robbing you is pretty thin. Noticing the potential threat was key, and you did that.

I think you handled it perfectly. He probably was sizing you up. But you took his element of surprise away from him when he figured out that you were aware of his presence. You gained the upper hand. This is a perfect example of being aware of your surroundings.

5am is a little bit too early for me to go to the store...you are brave to be able to do that. And you did the right thing...you came home safe. I would have done it differently though -- I will feel for my gun even before I reached the car and use the grocery cart to form a barrier between me and the bg, ready to roll it at his direction. Should anything happened, I have time to run back inside the store and call for help.

That is one of the Scenarios I use in my Concealed Handgun Classes. I think you handled it correctly. He may have gotten a little to closer than I would have liked but, at least you knew what was going on around you and was prepared. Good Job!

I rarely use a shopping cart, as I find them rather annoying to push around the aisles and I usually buy few enough items that I can carry them in a bag. I do really like the idea of using one as a barrier. I had never thought of that before. The problem with a shopping cart is you have to go push it back to one of the corrals extending your time, and risk, in the parking lot. With bags I can just drop them and buy new eggs...but no physical barrier...I'm going to have to try using a shopping cart next trip and think on this some.

Good tactics. If I had only five or six bags I would carry the bags out to my vehicle to keep the cart guy from having to retrieve my cart (I used to be a cart guy) but I realized that if I have several bags in my hands how am I going to get to my pistol. Now I push the cart all the way out. It’s all the little things that matter the most.

What were you so worried about? He was an employee looking to help you with your groceries but you made him uncomfortable....

LOL. Sorry but I couldnt resist. Going back in the store woulda been the safest bet but then ur trapped so to speak.

I would not have allowed him to get within 5 feet of me...other than that, good SA.

Gotta ask, how would you have stopped him? He hasn't broken any laws or done anything that could be called an overt threat. What do you do when you say "Stop right there" and he keeps walking?

Gotta ask, how would you have stopped him? He hasn't broken any laws or done anything that could be called an overt threat. What do you do when you say "Stop right there" and he keeps walking?

It isn't necessary to stop the guy from walking right on past... all that is necessary is to cut off at a right angle and walk off to the side between parked cars creating distance. If he still follows then you know for sure things are not going well..........

5am is a little bit too early for me to go to the store...you are brave to be able to do that. And you did the right thing...you came home safe. I would have done it differently though -- I will feel for my gun even before I reached the car and use the grocery cart to form a barrier between me and the bg, ready to roll it at his direction. Should anything happened, I have time to run back inside the store and call for help.

Ummm.... Mom? If you just finished ramming the shopping cart into the guy and you have your EDC on you, why "run" to the store? I think after the first 3 or 4 rounds going off in the parking lot someone is going to call the cops. :sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back