SC gun in car laws???

KimberPB

Hey everyone. I live in Florida but will be heading up to SC for a 2 day whitewater rafting trip. I can't wait to go but I have a small problem. My Florida permit is accepted in Georgia but not SC. I was planning on carrying through Florida and Georgia and then securing my firearm in the car while in SC. I was just wondering if anyone can point me to a good source for SC laws about guns in cars.

Thanks guys.

Can be loaded in the glove compartment or in the center console, but not anywhere else. No permit needed to keep it in those places in your car.

Well actually I think you could keep in locked in the trunck loaded too

Well actually I think you could keep it locked in the trunk loaded too.

but I would not know why you would want to.

Keep in mind that if for some reason you decide to stay over night in S.C. You can legally carry you hangun concealed from your car to your hotel room and back.

Our ever illustrious legislators are forever working on fixing the 'Florida / Georgia' problem.....

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Well actually I think you could keep it locked in the trunk loaded too.

but I would not know why you would want to.

Keep in mind that if for some reason you decide to stay over night in S.C. You can legally carry you hangun concealed from your car to your hotel room and back.

Our ever illustrious legislators are forever working on fixing the 'Florida / Georgia' problem.....

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Thanks Blume. I did read about that a little bit ago while looking through SC gun laws. I would love to see SC honor Florida permits and vise versa. Now that WV honors FL permits the only state I travel through that does not is SC. Hopefully soon.

Well, you could buy some land her in S.C. and then the state will allow you to have a non resident permit. It would also probably be about the same time the legislature finally pushed the state police into chaning their draconian rules on recognizing other permits. I can see, by how the state CCW laws are written why we don't recognize GA, but can't for the life of me figure out Florida. We could at least recognize Florida resident permits and not non-resident ones... maybe I'll write the AG here in S.C. and ask them to look into it.

One reason I would push it is I have two friends in Florida who come to visit about once a year and both carry everywhere but here. You don't know T. Doty from over in Seminole do you? He and some friends are going to be wasting a large amount of ammo down near Sarasota May 10th. I wish I could go help but family stuff comes first.

Well, you could buy some land her in S.C. and then the state will allow you to have a non resident permit. It would also probably be about the same time the legislature finally pushed the state police into chaning their draconian rules on recognizing other permits. I can see, by how the state CCW laws are written why we don't recognize GA, but can't for the life of me figure out Florida. We could at least recognize Florida resident permits and not non-resident ones... maybe I'll write the AG here in S.C. and ask them to look into it.

One reason I would push it is I have two friends in Florida who come to visit about once a year and both carry everywhere but here. You don't know T. Doty from over in Seminole do you? He and some friends are going to be wasting a large amount of ammo down near Sarasota May 10th. I wish I could go help but family stuff comes first.

Wow what a small world. I actually live just outside Seminole in Largo. The name doesn't sound familiar but I've probably ran into him at the range at some point. I have not been down to the Sarasota range but have been wanting to try it out. I'll have to see if I have anything going on that weekend. Maybe I can help him burn up some of that ammo! :sly:

I would love to buy up some land in NC or SC. Have a nice second home were I could relax and maybe do some hunting.

The guy I'm talking about, Tom Doty, is on a couple Florida gun forums, but I don't know what his 'handle' is on these. If you want his email address... just send me a private email and I'll get it to you.

Speaking of 'car carry.'
He's the guy that caused a Florida LEO to have to go home and clean his shorts last year. Got pulled over and the cop asked if he had any weapons in the vehical and my friend answered, "Yes, I've got a fully automatic 9mm sub machine gun in a case behind the seat with four 30 round magazines.

Hey KimberPB, have fun but watch out! The water is still very cold around here especially the River water.

Long time ago.. back in my youth I used to 'play' in those mountain creeks up in N.C. seems like 40-45 degrees was normal in the Summer. I don't think that water coming out of N.C. is ever warm!

Any Suggestions?

Originally Posted by blume357@
Well, you could buy some land her in S.C. and then the state will allow you to have a non resident permit.
My Lovely Bride and I bought some land about 18 months ago in Liberty, SC (Ain't that a great name for a town?!?) about 30 minutes outside of Greenville. It's been my plan to get the non-resident license in anticipation of building and moving down.

Any recommendations for a good, well-qualified trainer/class to attend to meet the requirements? I already have the FL non-res...all I need is SC and my 'needs' for State coverage would be pretty much set.

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion would be the folks at Aero Tech... I'm not sure I spelled that right... but they teach classes down in Piedmont all the time. Mark Bilicki is the guy to contact I think... [email protected].

The class takes a day and they charge you for the class and shooting but take care of making sure you fill out the paper work right, have all the proper stuff on it, and then do the paying and mailing for you.

If Aero Tech is the one that sets up at the Greenville gun show, I highly recommend them. blume357@ is correct they do everything for you so it's done correctly. They also do several Non-Resident states permits also. The other thing to do is call or go by some gun shops in the area and ask about classes.

EDIT... Look what I found in Liberty!

http://www.cwpclass.com/

Foothills Firearms Training Center

Contact Information

Telephone
Mobile Phone: (864) 630-1883

Postal address
Post Office Box 34, Liberty, SC 29657

Electronic mail
Information: [email protected]
Webmaster: [email protected]

Last edited:
Yes, the Aero tech folks I was talking about are the same ones at the Greenville Gun Show....

One of the the reasons I suggested them is not only did they do a great job at the class and processing the paper work.... "since when has government forms been painless?" but Mark helped me out a great deal with both the, New Hampshire, Florida, Conneticut, Maine and Virgiana applications!

Thanks guys. The water was around 70 degs. Which is still pretty cool. Even more so to a Florida boy. We did get wet suits which made it very comfortable. I had a great time rafting in SC and seeing the mountains again was another added plus.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back