SC CWP range test question

RPinSC

For those of you who have taken the class required for the CWP, what does the range test entail? ie how many shots, distances etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

your require to shoot 50 rds.. you have to shoot at diffrent ranges form 5ft I think to 25ft. the instructor tell you how many rds. to shoot, and when to shoot. It timed and you will have to draw and shoot some of the times, I forget how much time is given, but if I could do it anyone can, I am disabled but I passed, the time you have is a long time, it sounds like little time but its not.......... there is Posted in the SC, forum a copy of the CWP lawa in SC, maybe they can be of more help. Or leave a message for RedHat he will know,,, Good Luck

The distances in my class were 5,10,15,20, and 25 feet. As to the timed exercise, everyone in my group was finished firing the five timed rounds at both the distances required a long time before the instructor called time. You don't have to quick draw at all, you can take your time and not run out of time. Nothing to worry about at all.

Stan

I wonder if we can post pictures on this sight? Will find out in a minute. Your bigest problem if you are a half way decent shot is getting the target scored when done. My instructor just shook his head at mine... I wish I had it to do over again.... I could have done a lot better.

Link Removed

Damn! I thought my group was pretty tight (all being inside the 9's)! Instructor told me to spread them out so he could count them. hah!

No head shots?
I tried to pick a few different spots on the target. My instructor asked that we spread the shots out for easier counting as well. Not near as much fun as making a big ragged hole!

In all honesty I could do a heck of a lot better now. I was using a Smith and Wesson model 19 and shooting 38 wad cutters. I got tired of shooting single action and as we moved back I started shooting double action.

Our instructor said he would disqualify us if he saw us shoot single action. I shot with a gun I had never used before. Taurus .38 revolver.

Range Shots

For those of you who have taken the class required for the CWP, what does the range test entail? ie how many shots, distances etc.

This is something most do not want to post for some reason....but I will give you what I have ...keep in mind it may not be exactly what your instructor(s) do....

3 Yards (9')
1 round fired from the ready position in 3 seconds
2 round fired from the ready position in 5 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 5 seconds
2 round fired from the presentation position in 7 seconds

5 Yards (15')
1 round fired from the ready position in 3 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 5 seconds

7 Yards (21')
1 round fired from the ready position in 4 seconds
2 round fired from the ready position in 6 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 6 seconds
2 round fired from the presentation position in 8 seconds

10 Yards (30')
1 round fired from the ready position in 4 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 6 seconds

12 Yards (36')
5 round fired from the presentation position in12 seconds

15 Yards (45')
5 round fired from the presentation position in15 seconds

Now my instructor, gave us one round as fast as we could
one round as long as we wanted (30 seconds) shows you how long 30 seconds really is.
etc.

carry a single action revolver?

Most I have seen will tell you NO SINGLE ACTION, or will tell you if it is all you have, but I rather you not.
some may not care.

I do not recommend it. you miss a lot of the understanding shooting a single action...

such as rapid fire, control timing.

Subject to interpretation...

Single action to me means shooting a single action revolver where you have to cock the hammer every time you fire.
Actually, when I took the practical part of the test.... the first 30 or forty rounds I fired single action with the revolver I was using... then I got tired and decided it really didn't matter anyway. Just for kicks, here's my final target... I really wish I could get a do over... you can tell where I switched to double action...

Link Removed

We had the same discussion in my class about 1911s first shot and single action revolvers.
I didn't carry 1911's fully cocked and had another person in the class that had a single action revolver.

It is all up to the instructor, mine was of the intent use your gun the way it was designed.
He didn't care about calibers or actions (but he preferred his 38 Police Special), just as long as you were safe and knew how to operate and shoot. He was the one that recommended SC Grassroots.

When i took my course one could use any handgun caliber and 50 rounds from different distances. Very easy my mother in law passed having only shot a handgun once before.

What 340mopar posted is similar to what I had to do. Others have said the instructor had trouble scoring the target when the holes ran together. In my case the instructer saw the one big hole in the middle with no holes around it, said "50" and went on.

He did say no head shots in case there was a lawsuit involving the use of the firearm. His point was if we ever were sued they could call the entire class as witnesses and you don't want anyone to say that you were the guy that shot the target in the head.

He did let two people use his firearm since they had weapons problems - one was what looked like an old copy of a Beretta and the other was a - get this - .44 mag ruger blackhawk with an extra .38 Caliber Cylinder fitted. I had a .22 Ruger with me in case my GP let me down, which it never did until some @%%#$&# stole it.

e7dd67fe-51ae-425b-b907-8fc137e7e466_zps78d34501.jpg

Sig 1911 Blackwater .45

:p

Our instructor counted the number of holes out side the target and subtracted from 50. He did not count all of the holes. :)

You can probably close your eyes each time before you shoot and still easily pass. Passing a CWP range test says absolutely nothing about your marksmanship. That being said, I do not believe training should be mandated by the state at all.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back