SB 555 Indiana Firearms Reciprocity License

Residents of Indiana, Would you like to see Bill 555 Pass or Fail?

• Would like to see Bill 555 PASS.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Would like to see Bill 555 FAIL.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me how the bill goes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steon

NRA Member & Freemason
Indiana has a bill going through Legislature right now to introduce a new Reciprocity License. To view the text of the bill and see the status of the bill you can go to SB 555 - Indiana 2013 Regular Session - Open States.

It is my understanding from reading this that it removes the two objections most states have to granting us reciprocity to carry in their states, a picture on our license, and handgun training with range time.

It is also my understanding that it would be our OPTION to purchase this license or the current pink license, or for current holders to repurchase or just continue using our current license.

The merit for those that don't leave the state and just want to carry in the state of Indiana is they don't need to go through the added expense of purchasing a new license by keeping the old license.

The merit for those of us who do travel, we might find states like Ohio and South Carolina are now open to us to carry with the purchase of this new license.

I have to say NO, unless the bill has provisions for exempting those who have already had firearms training involving: firearms care, safety, and proficiency, particularly the type built into military training. I believe several other States waive the requirements for those who can present a Honorable Discharge Form DD214...the same should hold for Indiana.

I'm in my sixties, was in the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, have been shooting since I was eight years old (rifles, shotguns, & handguns), currently hold a lifetime Indiana Handgun Carry License, and see no reason why I should have to go through further classes, testing, or expense to obtain the newer 'class' of license.

Producing a valid DD214 and current photo ID (and current photo for the newer license) should be plenty .

Here are a couple of quotes from the bill.

Synopsis: Indiana firearms reciprocity license. Allows a person to obtain an Indiana firearms reciprocity license to carry a handgun in Indiana in addition to or as an alternative to obtaining a qualified or an unlimited license to carry a handgun. Provides that, in addition to submitting information required to obtain a qualified or an unlimited license to carry a handgun, to obtain an Indiana firearms reciprocity license, a person must also submit: (1) a recent dated photograph of the person; (2) a certificate demonstrating that the person has successfully completed a handgun safety and training program; and (3) if the person is not a resident of Indiana, evidence that the person resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Indiana firearms reciprocity license or otherwise has reciprocity with Indiana's handgun license law. Specifies the requirements of a handgun safety and training program, including: (1) the program and the instructor must be certified by a national or state firearms training organization; (2) the program must consist of at least eight hours of instruction, including three hours of instruction on a firing range; and (3) the program must require the firing of at least 45 rounds of ammunition. Makes it a Class D felony for a person to falsely certify completion of a handgun safety and training program. Provides that Indiana will not recognize a handgun license issued by a state which recognized an Indiana qualified or unlimited handgun license on March 1, 2013, but which after that date recognizes only the Indiana firearms reciprocity license and refuses to recognize a qualified or unlimited handgun license. Permits the state police department, in consultation with the attorney general, to enter into a reciprocity agreement with another state. Permits issuance of a lifetime reciprocity license, and requires the state police department to reevaluate the holder of a lifetime reciprocity license every four years, and to revoke the license if the person is no longer eligible for the license. Makes conforming amendments.

: Sec. 17.5. (a) For a person's completion of a handgun safety and training program to satisfy the condition for the issuance of an Indiana firearms reciprocity license set forth in section 3.5(c)(9) of this chapter, the handgun safety and training program must meet the following
requirements:
(1) The program must consist of at least eight (8) hours of instruction.
(2) The:
(A) program must be certified by a national or state firearms training organization; and
(B) instructor must be certified by a national or state firearms training organization as qualified to teach an eight (8) hour handgun safety and training program.
(3) The program must provide at least five (5) hours of instruction in the following:
(A) The safe storage, use, and handling of a handgun, including safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.
(B) Knowledge of ammunition.
(C) Handgun firing positions.
(D) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. The instruction in the subject described in this clause must be provided by an attorney or a person trained in the use of deadly force.
(E) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
(F) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed handgun in Indiana.
(4) The program must:
(A) provide at least three (3) hours of instruction on a firing range; and
(B) require the firing of at least forty-five (45) rounds of ammunition.
(5) The program must provide to a person who successfully completes the program a certificate of completion stating that:
(A) the program complies with this section; and
(B) the person has successfully completed the program.
The certificate must contain the printed name and signature of the instructor who instructed the person.
(b) A person who grants a certificate of completion described in subsection (a)(5) to an individual knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the program commits a Class D felony.

I'm in my sixties, was in the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, have been shooting since I was eight years old (rifles, shotguns, & handguns), currently hold a lifetime Indiana Handgun Carry License, and see no reason why I should have to go through further classes, testing, or expense to obtain the newer 'class' of license.

Producing a valid DD214 and current photo ID (and current photo for the newer license) should be plenty .

Most states I've looked at have the provision that your DD-214 has to be current within the past 2-3 years, but even so I don't see Indiana accepting it because of a couple points in their training requirements.

(A) program must be certified by a national or state firearms training organization; and
(B) instructor must be certified by a national or state firearms training organization as qualified to teach an eight (8) hour handgun safety and training program.
This part is a GIVEN to be true BUT...

(D) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. The instruction in the subject described in this clause must be provided by an attorney or a person trained in the use of deadly force.
(E) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
(F) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed handgun in Indiana.
The Military doesn't teach ANY of this. Or at least it didn't when I was in.

And lastly, it would only be good if you received training on a handgun, not for your standard Rifle Training... This would cover me at least. I have Expert marked on my DD 214 for the 9 MM!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back