Say What? Harley introduces electric bike

I have worked in the motorcycle business for almost 30 years.

This is a marketing stunt. They do not make an electric bike or do they have one in development. That bike belongs to another and has been customized to look like an HD. They do have a new 500 & 750 that they want riders to stop in and see......hint hint....until they release their electric bike....Lol

Just like Amazon's drone delivery or Dodge's Tomahawk V10 motorcycle......Just something to get the main stream media talking about. Something to get every non-motorcycling rider water cooler conversation started.
First, you are wrong.
Link Removed
Second, it is still in the development stage, and can only go about 50 miles on a charge. So it's not ready for primetime.
Last, their intended market is overseas. Thy don't expect to sell many over here but they will be available. They are going for a market share where scooter are the norm and having a Harley will be a big status symbol.
-
We got stuck in Gibraltar(2008) for a few weeks waiting on a repair, and while we were there they had a bike "rally". There was about an even mix of Harleys, crotch-rockets and souped up scooters. They don't have the same negative stigma across the ocean that they do here.

Why in the world would any serious biker want a electric bike? It will go over like a lead brick. What a stupid idea, even for Harley.

Why in the world would any serious biker want a electric bike? It will go over like a lead brick. What a stupid idea, even for Harley.

Personally, I hate the notion. Motorcycles are supposed to be loud, smell of exhaust, dive when I let off the throttle and vibrate my nuts into submission when I'm hauling @ss.

:biggrin:

The idea of an electric motorcycle doesn't sound very involved, I'm out.

Personally, I hate the notion. Motorcycles are supposed to be loud, smell of exhaust, dive when I let off the throttle and vibrate my nuts into submission when I'm hauling @ss.

Never been a Harley guy, sport bikes for me...loud and vibration is nothing I looked for in a motorcycle...does and acceleration gets me.

I'll tell you this though, from talking with those that have taken a spin on these new electric bikes (not just Harley), it's pretty amazing. Wanna feel like your really flying? Try one out. Electric bikes are being made, there are riders who have and want them. So whatever "stupid idea" you guys think this is...reality is proving otherwise.

I ride an 04 R1...I'm pretty serious about my motorcycles or else I would be dead, and i look forward to getting an electric motorcycle. As much as you fight the future, you will never win...the future is relentless.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

As I stated earlier, Harley knows their main market will not be here. In America, the hardest thing about owning a scooter is telling dad you're gay :sarcastic: Seriously, that is the stigma and it will not go away. In Europe, cool people have scooters - hence having a Harley that is electric will make you ten times better than that scooter guy.
-
Some people in America will buy them, but unless they fix the mileage factor it won't do well. Most Americans who work in the city don't live there, and commute farther each day than the 50 miles that Harley is currently getting out of theirs.

Never been a Harley guy, sport bikes for me...loud and vibration is nothing I looked for in a motorcycle...does and acceleration gets me.

I'll tell you this though, from talking with those that have taken a spin on these new electric bikes (not just Harley), it's pretty amazing. Wanna feel like your really flying? Try one out. Electric bikes are being made, there are riders who have and want them. So whatever "stupid idea" you guys think this is...reality is proving otherwise.

I ride an 04 R1...I'm pretty serious about my motorcycles or else I would be dead, and i look forward to getting an electric motorcycle. As much as you fight the future, you will never win...the future is relentless.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

No doubt the torque curve on the electrics would be something to behold, it just isn't my thing. I fight the future as much as I can, I still have a flip-phone for phuck sake.

My first thought would be a trail bike for off-gridders that could be recharged by solar panels.

I rode my first motorcycle in the 1950's and have owned fifteen over the years. I love conventional gas engines but getting gas to a remote location could be a real problem if we ever had a SHTF situation.

Sunlight is free and an electric trail bike would be a lot better than walking.

Hopefully they would have a very smooth throttle control to handle the instant torque that could cause wheel spin in slippery situations.

You could put baseball cards in the spokes.

Aren't you busy enough attacking the 2A in Delware and the government to attack more people?

Sent from my SM-G935V using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back