Sanford Signs Bill Allowing 18-Year-Olds To Own Handguns

Red Hat

This one caught me by surprise. I didn't know they were debating a bill to lower the age and hadn't seen anywhere wanting it...

Link Removed

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Gov. Mark Sanford has signed a bill that lowers the minimum age for South Carolina residents to own a handgun to 18.

Federal law still prohibits firearm retailers and dealers from selling handguns to people younger than 21. But the state law now allows individuals to sell handguns to anyone 18 or older.

South Carolina is one of 18 states -- and the only one in the South -- that had set 21 as the age for handgun ownership.

The new law took effect as soon as the governor signed it.

Last edited:
One thing that always irritated me was that they would pass a law and sometimes it would be 6 months or more before word got out to Law Enforcement... and many times it was as the result of a Cop making charges on the old law.

So I hope they notify the LEOs before one brings unnecessary poor publicity to his un-just treatment of an 18 year old

I know this is an old thread but anyone know where in SC Code of Laws this has been updated?

I thought it would be Title 23, Chapter 31 but nothing on age just residency.

Also are there any plans to change the CWP to 18?

Just my opinion...

Everything should be lowered to 18 or else raised.. Drinking, gun ownership, voting, serving in the military, ect.

A man or woman at the age of 18 should not be able to defend our country unless they have all their rights... it is hypocrisy at its finest.... the only other choice is to raise the age to go into the military up to 21.

I'll ask where it is on the SC Firearms forum, and get back with you......

edit and added 30 minutes later:

got this from a fellow on the SC Firearms Yahoo group:

SECTION 16-23-30. Sale or delivery of handgun to and possession by certain persons unlawful; stolen handguns.
(A) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly sell, offer to sell, deliver, lease, rent, barter, exchange, or transport for sale into this State any handgun to:
(3) a person under the age of eighteen, but this shall not apply to the issue of handguns to members of the Armed Forces of the United States, active or reserve, National Guard, State Militia, or R. O. T. C., when on duty or training or the temporary loan of handguns for instructions under the immediate supervision of a parent or adult instructor; or

Thanks Blume357@

I agree, either an adult is considered to be 21 or 18, should be consistent.
At that time they should have inherit all their rights: RKBA, voting, signing contracts, fight for our country, etc.
I also believe at that time all person should affirm their citizenship.

Need to repeal the Gun Control Act and parts of Firearms Owners Protection Act.

I'm an old crotchety geezer and actually believe the whole issue would be solved by raising the age of full adulthood to 21.... but then this would include being allowed to join the military and that would for sure screw up the system.

From about age 17 to 22 I managed to screw up more times than the the total for the other 47 years. Actually, probably about 3 or 4 times more than the total of the other.... I can't even count (possibly remember) the number of times I was almost, killed, maimed, sent to prison and such. I can count the number of times I was blown up, shot, and almost became a parent, as well as how long I did spend in jail.... "and I was the good son who was raised right."

21 for a minimum... either that or mandate testosterone reducing drugs for all teenage males :)

From about age 17 to 22 I managed to screw up more times than the the total for the other 47 years. Actually, probably about 3 or 4 times more than the total of the other.... I can't even count (possibly remember) the number of times I was almost, killed, maimed, sent to prison and such. I can count the number of times I was blown up, shot, and almost became a parent, as well as how long I did spend in jail.... "and I was the good son who was raised right." 21 for a minimum... either that or mandate testosterone reducing drugs for all teenage males :)

Blume, Boy do I resemble your comments ha ha....:triniti:

That's called selective service registration.

Actually it is not...

For starters, Women don't have to register.

It is a list of names for the government to use as a tool to conscript men for a draft.
Not registering will prohibit legal permanent residence from becoming US Citizens.

But by no means does it require someone to reaffirm their citizenship or pledge allegiance to the Consititution of The United States of America.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back