Safety and Self Protection Showcase - April 26 - Indianapolis

brotherbill3

Hello, I am relatively new here (but active via FBook for our rights) and on Indiana's Gun forums (Indianashooter.com /INS & Indiaan Gun Owners /INGO). If I get this info in the wrong place - please feel free to move it (and/or let me know) ... I'm still trying to learn what info goes where on this forum board.

On facebook and in other social media I work with the group Indiana Moms Against Gun Control (or IMAGC) as an Information Analyst.

IMAGC was founded by severl mom's who are friends, following a Counter-Rally (where the CR organizer didn't show) - to a Rally by Moms Demand Action (though at the time they were still 1MM FOR GC) ... This was over a year ago in Indianapolis (some of you may have seen the videos?)

ANYWAY - flash forward to this year - and the NRA -AM in Indianapolis - we and several other grassroots 2A organizations have joined together in a united coalition to present the event in the title. Saftey and Self Protection Showcase - in Indianapolis on April 26, right outside the NRA convention ...

This was initially organized by Mom With Guns Demand Action (MWGDA) out of Texas. It is free and we have quite the list of speakers, and a Jan Morgan is doing a training session nearby.

If you're on Facebook - please take a look and like the sponsors; and if you're from Indiana - I hope you'll look us up / like us / share info.

Here is our flyer and the announcement (more or less) as I made it on the Indiana forums:

Indiana Moms Against Gun Control (https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl aka IMAGC) has added an event ...
For those of you planning to be at the NRA Convention - this should be easy, if you aren't running a table:
Here is our initial update. - More will follow.

If you're on facebook - please LIKE SHARE INVITE ...

-------------------------------------------------------------
IMAGC has joined Moms With Guns Demand Action (https://www.facebook.com/MomsWithGunsDemandAction) in hosting an event during the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis on Saturday April 26. There will be several speakers including Jan Morgan and Nikki Goeser. Please join us and share the event.
https://www.facebook.com/events/232314346960306/?notif_t=plan_admin_added
-MeL
-------------------------------------------------------------

WHY do this outside the NRA convention? Well because -
1) We're not only trying to reach and educate the one that go INTO the convention
... ... most of these people already "GET IT" ... ... (I could use the PSU type chant: "WE ARE - NRA" for these few)

2) Moms Demanding Action from The Mayor's that Paying them for Action and the the other wing-nuts that want to have their way with your rights ... ... they are planning a 'protest' rally against the whole thing outside ... somewhere nearby ... ... we want some good pro-2A side people our there too.

We're working as the local liaison ... so we might look to some for some help w/ things to make this work

The Main organizer is looking to get some high profile 2A speakers; and we're looking to get some state legislators and others. read the flyer - if you need a PDF (rather than a JPG) ... let me know. ... oh wait I should add the flyer ...

I WILL try to keep this updated. It is coming together very quickly.

EventFlyerColor_zpsbecd7e0b.jpg

PREFACE: CARRY BY NON RESIDENTS / UNLICENSED
As the local liaison - we were asked to post the carry requirements for out of state visitors ... it took a few edits ...

But here is what we have provided (w/ sources and references; ... no IANAL and IDNSAHIELN):
We aren't trying to interpret them to 'our liking' but rather sharing what others in the legal / LEO community have as standards for this, where a court intpretation hasn't happened and thing get to gray areas beyond the exact wording of the law ...
We doubt that people coming in from out of state for this really want to be the test case for a law after being targeted by MdA or MAIG - etal.

ETA: the NRA AM is following STATE LAW so keep it in you holster and you are good to go even INSIDE the convention center.
(That property is not prohibited, but is controlled by the org leasing it, in this case - the NRA)

- Thanks BB3 -

LINK: (to all this): https://www.facebook.com/events/232314346960306/permalink/233150290210045/

Indiana is a relatively firearm friendly state, we would like to see many if not all of you carrying at this event, but there are still some laws and rules we need to follow concerning possession of firearms in public.

Handguns: In order to possess a handgun in public (carry), you must also possess a valid IN License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH) or a similar valid license/permit to carry issued by your state. The state of Indiana does not specify open or concealed carry therefore either method is legal. However, you still may not be permitted to open carry while visiting IN. You must follow IN carry laws except where carry laws of your home state are more strict. If you may only conceal carry in your state, then you may only conceal carry while visiting IN. If you may not carry on your person in a vehicle in your home state, then you may not carry on your person in a vehicle while visiting IN. We have provided a link in the comments section to a PDF download from the Indiana State Police concerning this issue.
We can not list every possible scenario, so please be aware of how your states handgun carry laws may supersede IN handgun carry laws before visiting.

IN law does not regulate black powder firearms, therefore open carry of black powder handguns is permitted without a license as long as you are not legally barred from possession of a firearm.
You will find much debate over this topic across the internet, but the Law is clearly stated.
IC 35-47-2 (Regulation of Handguns) section 19 (Application of this chapter) states: "This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899."
We are not aware of any examples of persons in legal trouble for carrying a black powder handgun without a permit, but you should know that not everyone knows every law so we would advise you to at least carry a copy of IC 35-47-2 with you if you plan to open carry a black powder handgun at this event.

You may carry a handgun with a loaded magazine and a round in the chamber if you wish in IN.

To ensure safety and lessen the chances of a neglegent discharge, we do ask that you keep all handguns holstered and safety (where applicable) engaged while attending this event. This is, of course, unless the need to defend life by use of deadly force becomes necessary, at which time your judicious marksmanship would be apreciated.

Long Guns: There is no license requirement for you to carry a long gun so long as you are not legally barred from possession of a firearm.
Any adult from any state participating in this event may carry a long gun so long as they are legally allowed to possess a firearm.

Rifles and shotguns may be carried with a loaded magazine and a round in the chamber if you wish.
There are no restrictions on the type of long gun you may carry.

To ensure safety and lessen the chances of a neglegent discharge, we do ask that you keep all long guns slung with barrel pointed down and safety (where applicable) engaged while attending this event. This is, of course, unless the need to defend life by use of deadly force becomes necessary, at which time your judicious marksmanship would be apreciated.

NFA items: Properly registered NFA items (suppressors, SBR's, machine guns etc...) may be carried in IN as long as you follow laws concerning proper documentation. If you wish to carry your NFA items at the event, you should already be familiar with these laws.
Possession of an SBS (short barreled shotgun) is illegal in IN.

Other: No one under the age of 18 can legally possess a firearm at this event.

The right to carry firearms is one that many of us Hoosiers enjoy on a daily basis. Please exercise this right responsibly.

-JP

---------------------------------------

Follow up in COMMENT (to clear up / clarify edits) ...
----------------------------------------

Indiana Moms Against Gun Control: Didn't have time to get back to this last night. I did check with NRA-ILA concerning IL residents carrying in IN (sorry guys, I can't just say x gun forum says you can).
Yes, a valid IL carry permit will allow you to carry in IN. These are relatively new to IL residents and little clarification has been provided, but as long as you specifically have a permit to carry, it will be honored in IN. An FOID without carry priviliges does not give you the right to carry in IN.
Op has been edited to update this and other concerns.
Also, there is discussion going on behind the scenes concerning permit holders must follow their own state laws while carrying in IN (i.e. if your state permit only allows concealed carry, you can only conceal carry in IN or if your state permit does not allow you to carry in bars, you may not carry in IN bars). This is new to me and the post will be updated if/when we receive clarification.

-----------------------------------------------------

Indiana Moms Against Gun Control: Ok. We have more clarification concerning which states laws you should follow as a visitor to IN with a valid carry permit issued by your home state.
IC 35-47-2-21 (b) Licenses to carry handguns issued by other stated or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

The key here is "recognized according to the terms thereof" which basically means that while carrying in IN, you must follow IN carry laws, unless the terms of your carry permit are more strict than IN law.
Therefore, if your permit only allows you to carry concealed in your home state, you may only carry concealed while visiting IN etc... etc...
Here is a PDF download from ISP containing general firearms information. Items 20 and 21 address this issue.
Link Removed...

Sorry for any confusion and all the edits. We normally deal with what to do when we visit another state, now we must cover what to do for anyone visiting the event from any state.
If there are any other concerns, please post them here and we will do our best to provide clarification.

-----------------------------------------------------

LIST OF SPEAKERS (pretty much in order anticipated, but subject to changes)

AS I PREVOUSLY SHARED ON IMAGC:

We hope that every one of you who are able to will attend, and invite all of your friends so they do not miss out. Opportunities like this do not come our way very often. Remember, as the local host, we are working very actively "behind the scenes" to ensure the success of this event.

We have teamed with a number of regional and national gun rights groups from across the country, to bring an amazing lineup of speakers, that you will not get anywhere else! Each of them bringing their own experiences and personal stories to you, our members. Here is the complete and final list of guest speakers for the event:

Kathy Perkins (Moms With Guns Demand Action)
Nikki Goeser (Author: Denied a Chance)
Larry Pratt (Gun Owners of America)
MeLinda & Jonathan Porter (Indiana Moms Against Gun Control)
Jim Lucas (Indiana House District 69 Representative)
Linda Elliot (1 Million Moms Against Gun Control)
Jason Thorn (Gun Rights Across America)
Jan Morgan (Armed American Woman)
Doc Green Sr (Talk show host: Raging Elephant Radio)
Jerry Torr (IN House District 39 Representative)
Shyanne Roberts (9yr old competitive shooter and gun rights advocate)
Dee Bennett (911 Defense)
Dani Oakely (Diamond Defense)
Kurt Mueller (Students for Concealed Carry)

As you can see, this is one event you do not want to miss. And like all of our events, this is a public event on public property, so it won't cost you a dime to come and experience this, our very first national event!

If you know you cannot attend, please like and share this event and mark yourself as a maybe on the event page. From there, please freely "INVITE" all your friends and give them the opportunity they might otherwise miss!

Thank you!

--- BB3

LAST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE:

JAN MORGAN - TRAINING CLASS:

While not directly related, it is ... this is now ready to share:

IMG_10699696767006_zps6fhq5wla.jpeg

Post from her on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...11400676336.2015850.1566452468&type=1&theater

Anti-gun group "Moms Demand Action" plans to protest the NRA Convention in Indianapolis next weekend.

I am a keynote speaker at a counter protest rally "Moms WITH GUNS Demand Action" … That rally will take place on Saturday across from the convention.. I am speaking at noon.
There is a great line up of speakers!

I have been asked to teach an NRA Basic Pistol Class while there.
That class is on Friday at Applied Ballistics Indoor Range.
(special thanks to Indiana Moms Against Gun Control for my accommodations and securing this amazing range for the class!)

Class size is limited… pre-registration required and it's filling quickly because the flyers below are now in circulation.
(By the way there are as many men signin up for the class as women. lots of couples.. )
Participants will earn their NRA Basic Pistol Certificate at the end of the day!
Details in the flyer below. - JAN MORGAN

I know there are at least 4 going already. ... room for about 15-16 more total.

PLEASE SHARE THIS - all around. w/ friends, conservative types, gun shops etc.
this is a fantastic introduction for Jan to Indiana; and a great opportunity.

BTW - THANKS TO APPLIED BALLISTICS - they are CONTRIBUTING the range time ... BIG KUDO's to them.

Well there are still spots available in the JAN MORGAN training classes ...

We're hoping to fill them - (YES, I realize this is not a lot of notice.)

However the price seem to be very good - Locally - it seems this full class normally goes for about $150.
So the $120 is a 20% discount - AND - that includes gun and ammo for the range portion.!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back