Safe for glock

JamesCC

Hey- I’m looking for a bedside gun safe for a glock 19. Any suggestions?

My suggestion? Personally, I would stay away from both biometrics and electronic boxes. Both can be too difficult to access. My choice would be the same mechanical combination lock that I use on the large safe. Two of us are able to open this safe anytime we want to, and there are no electronic gizmos to either break or screw things up.

What I do is to spin the dial lock up to the last digit. Then if I need to open the safe quickly all I have to do is turn the dial to the last number; and, voilà, the door swings open! For a lockbox I would suggest using a keyed model. Why? Because I've known several families where the kids were able to dope out the mechanical dial locks which had been set up by the owner(s), instead of being preset at the factory.

Keep the key with you throughout the day, and you won't have to worry about anybody figuring out the combination. Most of the safe opening problems I've either run into or heard about all involved: (1) a teenager who figured out the mechanical lock combination which an owner had personally selected or else found a key, or (2) some sort of problem with the safe's electronics.

Of all the different types of locks, the mechanical (spin dial) locks—with a random factory-set combination type dial—always seem to work the best.

For only one Glock I'd suggest THIS SECURITY BOX with a firmly anchored cable. (Do NOT use the two lousy screws that come with it, and I'd also use an additional pull-off clamp around the other end of the cable inside the box.)

A final piece of advice: No matter what safe you purchase, if the experience is typical, within a year or two, other family members will also be using it for their valuable stuff, too. Consequently, your original box will inevitably turn out to be too small. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you Cyr for your well thought comments on this subject. I have a slightly different take on the subject.

I am assuming the OP wants a quick access option for a gun in case something wakes him up in the middle of the night or during the day time if he is a third shifter. I am of the school of thought that the best safe in this case is a safe room. My bedroom has a reinforced door equipped with a solid deadbolt lock. Near my bed is a chair with a robe, set of slippers, and my Glock G22 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster with two spare magazines. If something wakes me up in the middle of the night I have my Glock with spare ammo, presentable attire, and "tactical" foot ware on my person before I even leave the bedroom. I am not saying this is the best option for everyone, or even anyone other than myself, but it works for me. If you can learn from my experience, so much the better.

Good topic, G50AE! Your solution for this problem, and my own are NOT all that different. You use a deadbolt on your bedroom door while I keep that option (and door) unlocked and wide open. (It's my avenue of escape!) What I did was to install our large (mostly) gun safe inside of the bedroom. When I swing the safe door open, it covers both the bedroom doorway, AND the hallway beyond.

True, I've never tried it, but I suspect that it would take 7.62x51mm armor-piercing rounds in order to punch through that safe door! Personally, I would never take the time, nor make the effort to get dressed before making myself ready to confront an intruder. (I was born naked, and have no qualms about dying the same way!)

We've talked about this very subject many times in class. I very much doubt that you're going to have time for anything—ANYTHING—except fighting for your life! Do you remember Angel Maturino Reséndiz, otherwise known as, 'The Railroad Killer'? Reséndiz murdered a lot of homeowners in their beds, and then raped the wives while their husbands lay either dead or dying right next to them. (Look him up!)

1640784493281.png

How did Reséndiz do this so successfully and for so long before finally getting tracked down and caught? Well, not to be facetious, Reséndiz had it all 'down to a science'. He acquired his weapons from the houses he broke into and only armed himself immediately before an attack.

Reséndiz watched a house for awhile BEFORE he broke in. (Among other things he didn't want to see a dog.) Then, after choosing a vulnerable point-of-entry, he'd come in and move very quietly through the house. (He often armed himself with tools he found in the garage or a workshop.) Even if there were firearms in the home, he usually, but not always, ignored them during the initial attack.

What Reséndiz wanted (needed) to do was to establish rapid immediate control over his victims. Everybody's living circumstances vary; each home situation is unique, and adjustments have to be made in order to accommodate differences in both people, and properties. At our house, there are several exterior living conditions that I've had to make physical compensations for.

The property is set back off the road and is therefore slightly remote and just out of clear earshot—Both physical features that Reséndiz looked for! There are also large windows throughout the ground floor that could provide easy access points. (Back in the day, we always had Pit Bulldogs, and/or Dobermans, and Dachshunds inside the house with us; but, nowadays, I am just too old to take proper care of a dog.)

Since October of 1990 when our home was, indeed, invaded I have never been out of reach of a firearm. Usually my weapon-of-choice is one of the two EDC pistols I usually carry. (I am the most practiced with them; and, at room-fighting distances, I can put every round right into the middle of a target the size of, say, a grapefruit!)

So with these things understood I would like to add that it's been my experience that: DIFFERENT PEOPLE WAKE UP IN DIFFERENT WAYS. Only a small minority of people are able to become instantly awake and 100% fully functional with a deadly weapon in hand. Most people could use something like a pail of cold water in the face before they are ready-to-go!

So my usual recommendation is to have someone create a 'sudden alarm and wakeup routine' for himself. At our house I sleep with a C-3 pistol underneath my pillow. Then I use the act of racking the slide to wake myself up. If I should need to move faster than this, well I've also got a straight knife with a very sharp blade (That I've known how to skillfully use since my youth.)

By the way it's not just children (and, especially, teenagers) that you have to watch out for. It's also older, somewhat demented folks, like what's his name, that have to be kept away from weapons in the home.

The final things I always recommend are that every homeowner should, much as I hate to say it, be ready for his home to be invaded—Especially in the troubled times in which we are presently living! You need to do a security survey. At our home we are keenly aware of both all available angles-of-fire, and engagement (or ambush) points throughout the entire property.

Neither is home self-defense only a 'one man job'. At our house it is my wife who works the light and operates the phone while I am the one on the trigger. Other than this, standard NRA home protection protocols are in place and ready-to-go. (It's a training course that I used to teach.)

I am NOT a proponent of going to the source of the disturbance; instead I follow strict NRA self-defense protocol and encourage the disturbance to either: (1) leave immediately, or (2) move towards me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back