S&W Shield

barecove

I am considering adding a S&W shield.40 to my collection. checked one out and thought it would do nicely as far as a conceal carry, like that it is not too bulky. I was originally thinking of the M&P .40c until I picked up the shield.... anyone with pro or cons on this?

My son and I both have Shield 40s that we carry daily. We both carry IWB with Alien Gear holsters which are very comfortable and easily concealed and the price is right. As far as the Shield goes, I'm very satisfied with the accuracy and reliability. Mine was subject to the recall, which was accomplished very quickly by S&W, but his was not recalled. Neither of us has any complaints about the Shield.

I am considering adding a S&W shield.40 to my collection. checked one out and thought it would do nicely as far as a conceal carry, like that it is not too bulky. I was originally thinking of the M&P .40c until I picked up the shield.... anyone with pro or cons on this?

I like the Shield, but on other forums I've been seeing a disturbing number of reports of failures and issues with that model.

I have a Beretta nano in 9mm that I adore, and if you want to stick with .40, try the Walther PPS perhaps or the Kahr K40

Go a 9mm Shield. So far zero failures. I even tried limp wristing it. Zero failures. I don't know about 40sw, though.

Nice size, but it is going to be a snappy firearm to shoot in .40. Some people say the .40 is snappy in a full frame configuration, the compact frame is going to magnify it.

.40 is snappy by default. The round is over-pressure (+P) from the start. That's why there's no standard for +P .40 ammo... it already is, without the designation.

Don't have a shield, but You might want to check out the Taurus PT740 Slim. Is a. 40, holds 6 + 1 in chamber, and less than an inch wide. Also runs about $299 - $325.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Have the Shield in 9mm... wonderfully concealable, and not nearly as snappy as I'd expect for such a small gun. Really enjoy shooting it, no problems at all.

I am more a Ruger SR40C fan. The Shield seems to be an exceptional carry firearm. I just liked the additional firepower of the SR series (9+1 & spare 15 rounds on the.40)

Can't speak for the .40 but absolutely love my 9mm. Carry IWB with a Theis horsehide holster. Comfortable all day (8-12hrs.) carry. Also carry OWB with a Desantis thumb break holster with any loose fitting button shirts. Never had an issue with the gun firing. IMHO the M&P Shield is tops for a carry gun.

I am more a Ruger SR40C fan. The Shield seems to be an exceptional carry firearm. I just liked the additional firepower of the SR series (9+1 & spare 15 rounds on the.40)

unfortunately I reside in MA with 10 shot mag. limit. I already own full size 9 and want a .40 for conceal carry

My son and I both have Shield 40s that we carry daily. We both carry IWB with Alien Gear holsters which are very comfortable and easily concealed and the price is right. As far as the Shield goes, I'm very satisfied with the accuracy and reliability. Mine was subject to the recall, which was accomplished very quickly by S&W, but his was not recalled. Neither of us has any complaints about the Shield.

will most likely have the trigger gone over, did this with my full size M&P 9, night and day after having it done

I carry the M&P Shield 40 in a Sneaky Pete holster. Like it, but if you get it, plan to spend time at the range. Even with a laser, it is not quite as accurate as my Standard M&P 40 or my M&P 45. Maybe I'm just too old (69) and shaky for the short barrel. Never had a failure.

Shield trigger ?

Can any of you Shield guys tell me about the tigger. I'm sure it's a DA, but is it a super long pull like most DA's. When I have to carry a small gun I carry a Karr CM9. I wanted a Shield but couldn't get one. I'm not crazy about the Karr's trigger either but it's better than most. CK Detroit ⛳

I carry the M&P Shield 40 in a Sneaky Pete holster. Like it, but if you get it, plan to spend time at the range. Even with a laser, it is not quite as accurate as my Standard M&P 40 or my M&P 45. Maybe I'm just too old (69) and shaky for the short barrel. Never had a failure.

How is the recoil compared to the M&P 40?

Can any of you Shield guys tell me about the tigger. I'm sure it's a DA, but is it a super long pull like most DA's. When I have to carry a small gun I carry a Karr CM9. I wanted a Shield but couldn't get one. I'm not crazy about the Karr's trigger either but it's better than most. CK Detroit ⛳

It's exactly like the full size. I barely notice it; very smooth. It's a DA, of course, but the reset point is pretty short and easy to find.

I have to go con compared to the M&P Compact in .40 S&W. I own the M&P Pro, Compact and Shield and find I prefer the Compact to the Shield. The Shield is great to carry but shooting it is a bit of a handful. I realize it is intended as a concealed carry pistol and most likely to be used in a close quarters scenario but as my EDC I prefer the Compact. The grip size is preferable to assist in controlling the recoil in this caliber and I also prefer the trigger of the Compact to the Shield. Also the accuracy of the Compact is better at ranges past 5 yds. (My shooting? Nah...couldn't be.) The Shield is my backup and light weight carry when mode of dress dictates. It is a well made and affordable pistol just not the 1st choice as my EDC.

I have to go con compared to the M&P Compact in .40 S&W. I own the M&P Pro, Compact and Shield and find I prefer the Compact to the Shield. The Shield is great to carry but shooting it is a bit of a handful. I realize it is intended as a concealed carry pistol and most likely to be used in a close quarters scenario but as my EDC I prefer the Compact. The grip size is preferable to assist in controlling the recoil in this caliber and I also prefer the trigger of the Compact to the Shield. Also the accuracy of the Compact is better at ranges past 5 yds. (My shooting? Nah...couldn't be.) The Shield is my backup and light weight carry when mode of dress dictates. It is a well made and affordable pistol just not the 1st choice as my EDC.

My hands are so small I don't need the extended magazine to get a full grip! :-D I think it's just fine! lol Accuracy is good for me, but then this is one situation where small hands are a bonus because I can hang on to it much better. I've seen it be accurate at long distances on youtube... I've just been busy training at defensive distances since I'm new at it, so I haven't tried it yet. I'll punch a nice hole in paper at defensive distances, though... Can't tell you exact distances cause I'm at a very low-tech outdoor range and am guessing!

Got a Shield in .40 back in April. Love it. Carry it IWB in a Crossbreed.

Fairly accurate right out of the box. Accuracy has only gotten better with practice.

I understand some of the early serial numbers had a problem dropping magazines, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Had a couple of mis-feeds, but I'm confident it was the ammo I was using. I've run about 400 rounds through it since then without any issue.

The trigger feels just like the full size. In fact, I bought a full sized M&P because I liked the Shield.

I'm thinking about getting some night sights for it. Any recommendations?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back