S&W M&P for concealed carry?

hangie76

I just completed the Carry Class and should be receiving my CCW in about a month. I only have a S&W M&P40 that wors as a carry piece. I love the way it shoots, but would like to hear about anything I should watch out for concerning this gun.

I carry an M&P 45.

Some of the early M&P production runs had problems: trigger issues, rust issues, and a few other weird gremlins that have mostly been worked out. If you've put a few hundred rounds through, and aren't having failures to load or failures to fire, you should be ok. And if your slide isn't rusting, then you should be ok on that front too.

Some folks think the trigger is too gritty or too heavy, and get trigger jobs done or aftermarket trigger kits installed. Personally, I think that's a bad idea unless you're having problems or are using it as a competition gun. If you opt for a trigger job, take it to the BEST gunsmith you can find, or contact S&W to have the work done.

I find that mine can be a bit of a pain to conceal, but depends on what I'm wearing.

All in all, good choice of firearm.

great gun, i carry the .40 also. i cant carry it cc style tho, so i just use my xd-subcompact .40 in a crossbreed supertuck, also depending on the shirt i wear, i can "pull it off" carrying the M&P in the same holster, but its easier to carry the xd insted. M&P is duty gun or home protection next to my mossberg 500 12g, but you did buy a fine shootin piece :)

I carry a M&P .357 sig full size (4.25 inch) in a iwb holster. I also sometimes carry my 1911 government model. 45 iwb. I love both and they are great carry guns, with the right holster.

I carry an M&P 9 (full size). It's not as comfortable or as light as my SW 442, but it's filled with 17 personal defense ammo (12 more shots than my .38).

My edc WAS a Kahr pm9. I recently picked up a S&W M&P 45, full size, and I have been carrying it iwb with easy when I dress for it. My "M&P dress" is jeans and a tee with an open button up shirt carrying at 5 o clock. I used to carry an M&P9c however traded it for my Kahr because I wanted something smaller to carry. Now that I got the FS M&P 45, I've had a change of heart towards big guns, and I'm in the small and slim category physically. The trick is a lot of cant.

I have carried my M&P 9 full size,M&P 40C and M&P 9C with no problems at all. Soon to be getting a M&P 45 and I don't foresee any problems with that. Full size Vs compact, the full size tends to dig into your side more when sitting. Even more so if your a bigger man then most around the waist.If you have the money take a look at the new Vtac sights Viking tactual just came out with for the M&P. Fiber optic day sights and night sights all in the same sights. They go for 240 but are on sale for 214 right now.

I carry a M&P .357 sig full size (4.25 inch) in a iwb holster. I also sometimes carry my 1911 government model. 45 iwb. I love both and they are great carry guns, with the right holster.

Hi Johnmed3, I read your post and thought about something that I'd like to share. Maybe a question, really at the end of it all...

After visiting Front Sight a few times I learned the importance of practice, practice, practice and then dry practicing, dry practicing and more dry practice, which developes the corresponding "muscle memory", as you know. This is important in that during an attack there is no time to think about which gun a person has, only time to do, if you are lucky. So my question is, which gun do you practice with and have a corrosponding "don't have to think about it in a hyper-stressful shoot or die, adrenaline soaked, holy sh_t attack" memory with? If it's the M&P that you practice and practice and practice with, won't you forget, in a horrible life-n-death no time to think situation, forget to move the safety if carrying the 1911 that day? I don't know if visa-versa is as bad, but I'm no expert either.

Now, I see there is an optional thumb safety for the M&P's, does yours then? If so, hope the movement to 'off' is the same direction!!

I'm not criticising, please. I'm only concerned for one of my comarades out there. Maybe you could shed some light on your thoughts about this.

Enjoy your day and stay in condition yellow my friend!

Last edited:
tuts40:224446 said:

Hi Johnmed3, I read your post and thought about something that I'd like to share. Maybe a question, really at the end of it all...

After visiting Front Sight a few times I learned the importance of practice, pract
ice, practice and then dry practicing, dry practicing and more dry practice, which developes the corresponding "muscle memory", as you know. This is important in that during an attack there is no time to think about which gun a person has, only time to do, if you are lucky. So my question is, which gun do you practice with and have a corrosponding "don't have to think about it in a hyper-stressful shoot or die, adrenaline soaked, holy sh_t attack" memory with? If it's the M&P that you practice and practice and practice with, won't you forget, in a horrible life-n-death no time to think situation, forget to move the safety if carrying the 1911 that day? I don't know if visa-versa is as bad, but I'm no expert either.

Now, I see there is an optional thumb safety for the M&P's, does yours then? If so, hope the movement to 'off' is the same direction!!

I'm not criticising, please. I'm only concerned for one of my comarades out there. Maybe you could shed some light on your thoughts about this.

Enjoy your day and stay in condition yellow my friend!

I practice with both guns. Range time and dry fire. M&P no thumb safety. 1911 condition one. Muscle memory conditioned to both sidearms. SA awareness always turned on. Practice, practice and always practice. Your sidearm love it, learn it and respect it. It will take care of you when the moment comes.

M&p 40 subcompact. I love it. Here in colorado some leo agencies are starting to drop the glock and go to the m&p

I carry an M&P 40c and love it. Being a double stack magazine, it took some time for me to get used to the thickness. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck with the combat cut at 4 o'clock and it's very comfortable. Sometimes I have to adjust it a bit when I'm in the car so it's not poking me in the side.

Thank you all for the feedback. I really enjoy this piece. It is a commemorative ordered for my brigade during the tour in Afghanistan. We just got back on aug 6th.

I too have an M&P40 Fullsize but found it tough to conceal in the summertime so I ended up picking up a Springfield Champion Lightweight for carry duty. I love the M&P and it is a solid gun but I just found it too cumbersome to carry concealed with just a T-Shirt plus I was really itching for a 1911.:D My wife is real accurate with it so it worked out good as I can now leave that home with her and feel a little more comfortable if I am out of town that she at least has something in the house.

neoflex:225807 said:
I too have an M&P40 Fullsize but found it tough to conceal in the summertime so I ended up picking up a Springfield Champion Lightweight for carry duty. I love the M&P and it is a solid gun but I just found it too cumbersome to carry concealed with just a T-Shirt plus I was really itching for a 1911.:D My wife is real accurate with it so it worked out good as I can now leave that home with her and feel a little more comfortable if I am out of town that she at least has something in the house.

Try the m&p iwb with a tucked in muscle shirt, and a Polo shirt untucked.

Have both the M&P45 and M&P40c Carry both. IWB with the CrossBreed SuperTuck... Or OWB in the cool to cold months...

No issues with 'em at all... Love 'em and trust 'em for protection...

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back