S&W Bodyguard

Patriotpapa

I purchased a S&W Bodyguard in late July with some misgivings. :wacko: I wasn't sure about the attached laser's ability to function. Well, I was right. One round and the laser quit. (It is one of the "new" models, so I thought the bug had been solved by S&W...) My question for you good folks is, is it worth the time, trouble & expense to send the pistol back to S&W to have the laser fixed? I'm assuming it will malfunction again even after the fix... Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks! (BTW - First post from a longtime reader)
Papa

S & W Body Guard 380

HI:
I bought one last fall. I got it home and the laser would not work. The reason I did not try it in the store was that I bought two. One for my daughter in law and one for me. I tried hers and did not try mine. I should have tried it in the store. I sent it back to S & W. They did not have the gun long. The laser works great now. I have put many rounds through the gun. Be sure if you send it back get an RM number first by calling S & W support. I would say it was worth sending it back.

S&W has always been great with customer service. I've never had an issue with getting things I need. I've never had a send back gun issue however with 5 I own. The BG has been iffy for me. My friend Steve has one and it had to go back for a broken firing pin... Send it back and get it fixed. You paid for it as a working unit. Call and ask about the shipping costs, they may help out with it...

My 2 pennies..

S&W Customer Service

I purchased a BG 380 in May and laser stopped working before I ever fired a round, dealer sent it back and turn around was about a week. no problems since. Send it back they'll make it right!

Had mine for about a month now. Several hundred rounds through it with and without laser on. No problems at all.

S&W Bodyguard .380

First let me say that I am a HUGE S&W mark and have an extensive positive history with the company and the many S&W firearms I have owned and collected over the last 30 years. That said, I do my due diligence and attempt to critically evaluate any pistol that I carry for self defense regardless of any affinity that I have for the manufacturer(s). I bought my BG .380 about 7 weeks ago and have put over 800 rounds down range and have had NO PROBLEMS with the laser or anything else. Great BUG or primary gun in low threat situations. Federal Hydro-Shocks are very accurate in my pistol but I carry with the Winchester PDX1's because of the very positive gelatin testing results using the FBI protocol(found elsewhere on the web).

Bodyguard clip base thingie, why?

I just bought an S&W Bodyguard. It came with an interchangeable thingie for the base of the magazine. Can anyone please tell me why or for what purpose?

I just bought an S&W Bodyguard. It came with an interchangeable thingie for the base of the magazine. Can anyone please tell me why or for what purpose?

That thingy is a finger guard/rest. It adds a tiny bit more grip and does a fair job of helping you keep a proper grip.

Bought my BG38 3-4 months ago. Fire it at the range almost weekly. Never a problem with it or the laser. Very pleased with this gun. Of course, you should contact either the dealer or S&W for a repair or replacement.

Emailed S&W regarding the laser issue. Still waiting for a response, but honestly hasn't been long enough for them to respond. I assume I'll hear from them by mid-week next week. I hope the repair is as painless as everyone suggests. I have not talked with my dealer yet - figured it would make more sense to get everything set up with S&W first.
I like the finger-clip extension! Helps me stabilize the pistol. I bought three extra magazines with the extension and am glad I did. That little thing sure is fun to shoot!! I've shot 100 rounds though it with no jams, misfires, etc. Very pleased with this pistol aside from the laser...

My brother bought one of those a coule of months ago. He has yet been able to break it down for cleaning. The take down pin will not rotate to the six oclock position to allow its removel. Anyone else heard of this problem.

Wow! Just heard from S&W Customer Service. They want me to send back just the laser unit for replacement. Guess I'll be headed to the post office in a few. :biggrin:

My take down pin is very tight. What I do is use a small screwdriver to push the pin to 6 o'clock. Then I use the screwdriver to help pry the pin up so I can remove it to complete the breakdown. (Be gentle so you don't mar the finish...) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I carry an older-sty;e S&W Bodyguard, a model 649 Stainless Steel snubbie in .357 magnum. I have put hundreds of rounds through it, both .38 sp and .357. I have added a Crimson Trace Laser grip to it. I can put all 5 rounds into a dinner plate at 70' consistently. The laser never fails. I lost the retaining screw that holds the grips on a couple of weeks ago. At local gunsmith's suggestion, I called Crimson Trace, and they mailed me a new screw, together with a new set of batteries for it, no charge. It arrived in about four days. S&W and Crimson Trace are two companies that turn out good, reliable products and stand behind them.

UPDATE: I just received the replacement laser from S&W today. Total transaction time - 19 days. I am well pleased with S&W and their customer service, and I don't mind telling folks when a company does something right, either! I'll be heading to the range to test/zero the laser in the next day or two...

Patriotpapa:222647 said:
I purchased a S&W Bodyguard in late July with some misgivings. :wacko: I wasn't sure about the attached laser's ability to function. Well, I was right. One round and the laser quit. (It is one of the "new" models, so I thought the bug had been solved by S&W...) My question for you good folks is, is it worth the time, trouble & expense to send the pistol back to S&W to have the laser fixed? I'm assuming it will malfunction again even after the fix... Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks! (BTW - First post from a longtime reader)
Papa
I would say send it back. Give them a chance to make good on their product. All companies want satisfied customers and if you're not satisfied let them know!

My brother bought one of those a coule of months ago. He has yet been able to break it down for cleaning. The take down pin will not rotate to the six oclock position to allow its removel. Anyone else heard of this problem.

Pull back on the slide slightly while rotating will help mine did this at first also.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back