S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Language mostly. For one thing, the House bill created some confusion with regard to how active duty LEO and a retired LEO get a CWP. He's just trying to make it more consistent. Frankly I'd prefer that everyone got treated the same, but I'm not going to get too hung up on it.

Edit: correction from military to LEO.
LEO's don't have to get a CWP...that's federal law. HR218 makes them exempt from all state firearm carry laws. I'm a reserve deputy in the upstate and we have been told we can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol so long as we don't drink. They don't want us drinking period, carrying or not, unless we're in a different county.

So when they reconvene @ 11:00 this morning, they'll still be in discussion of the 308 amendments? Will that idiot Scott still have the floor?

Yes. They will be talking about amendments as long as there are amendments on the desk. Whoever has the floor has the floor until they relinquish it. In theory, he could run the clock out on this session if he were to find enough things to talk about.

LEO's don't have to get a CWP...that's federal law. HR218 makes them exempt from all state firearm carry laws. I'm a reserve deputy in the upstate and we have been told we can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol so long as we don't drink. They don't want us drinking period, carrying or not, unless we're in a different county.

That may be the case. Regardless, the version of S-308 returned from the House makes provision for retired LEO's to meet the proof of training requirement, but not for active duty LEO's. They want to change that so it's consistent for both. As I said, I think they should be treated like everyone else, but it's not really priority one as far as I'm concerned.

Don't like that example, here's another. The version of S-308 returned from the House limited a "valid photo ID" to a drivers license (for most people). The amendment offered attempts to fix that little faux pas.

That may be the case. Regardless, the version of S-308 returned from the House makes provision for retired LEO's to meet the proof of training requirement, but not for active duty LEO's. They want to change that so it's consistent for both. As I said, I think they should be treated like everyone else, but it's not really priority one as far as I'm concerned.

Don't like that example, here's another. The version of S-308 returned from the House limited a "valid photo ID" to a drivers license (for most people). The amendment offered attempts to fix that little faux pas.
I just read the whole thing at length and at the end I noticed that it says that with a CWP, it can be under the seat and any other passenger compartment, opened or closed. Am I reading this correctly?

I also just got an email about the legislative updates and it says it was "returned to House with amendments". So I'm confused as to how this whole legislative process works. Does the House now just have to approve the senate's new amended version and that's that?

I just read the whole thing at length and at the end I noticed that it says that with a CWP, it can be under the seat and any other passenger compartment, opened or closed. Am I reading this correctly?

I also just got an email about the legislative updates and it says it was "returned to House with amendments". So I'm confused as to how this whole legislative process works. Does the House now just have to approve the senate's new amended version and that's that?

I believe I'm correct in saying that if the House doesn't change it one bit, then votes to pass it, on to the governor's desk it goes.

My question is.....what are the amendments?

You are correct HR-218 take president over any state law. Some of the states have attempted to press their own law onto retired officers and make they possess a state CWP, but they lost in court. While the states says I can't carry in a restaurant, Federal law says I can. I really wish these guys would stop the crap and allow its citizens the right to protect themselves. When I was active duty, I always supported a citizens right to carry....I would go so far as saying you shouldn't need a permit and could open carry if that is your desire.

In reading the amendment as adopted, it appears to not mention anything about active duty or retired cops. I wish they archived the video's so I could see if I misunderstood what they said, or they changed it.

"Packing heat where drinks are served could soon be legal in South Carolina" was the little news teaser on WYFF just now. Regardless of what the media's opinion is, they make it sound bad on purpose to get people to watch. Makes me sick.

"Packing heat where drinks are served could soon be legal in South Carolina" was the little news teaser on WYFF just now. Regardless of what the media's opinion is, they make it sound bad on purpose to get people to watch. Makes me sick.

It is sad but stupidity sells....Look at all these southern based reality shows that make us all look like hicks to the rest of the country.

Folks are laughing all the way to the bank.

Sad but true

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back