S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

I feel like we're watching the Titanic go down with some false hope that it will miraculously come back afloat again.

:laugh:

Actually, that's pretty funny.

I guess tomorrow will be make or break day for the bill.

If it moves on tomorrow, then the Senate has 2 days to send it on correct?
I'm not sure a single government office has ever managed to do anything productive in 48 hours or less so I hope not too many people are holding their breath over that one.

I would like to thank Palmetto Gun Rights for helping to kill this bill. Their childish ways in demanding the bill be changed in the 4th hour has again killed this bill.

I encourage anyone who donates any money to the group pull back all funding. If they would have stopped their whining and allowed it to pass as was, we could have fought next year to make it better. However, this group would rather see it go down in flames than to allow the amendments the Senate placed on the bill....So "THANK YOU" NOW WE HAVE NOTHING...

Are you sure you are Pro-Gun - Pro- SC Citizen... I have my doubts?

Hold up. I just got a tweet that S308 passed the house. Not confirmed as yet. I checked out when the time ran out in the uncontested calendar, but they may have circled back around.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BL8ckW9CQAE4yqj.jpg:large

I would like to thank Palmetto Gun Rights for helping to kill this bill. Their childish ways in demanding the bill be changed in the 4th hour has again killed this bill.

I encourage anyone who donates any money to the group pull back all funding. If they would have stopped their whining and allowed it to pass as was, we could have fought next year to make it better. However, this group would rather see it go down in flames than to allow the amendments the Senate placed on the bill....So "THANK YOU" NOW WE HAVE NOTHING...

Are you sure you are Pro-Gun - Pro- SC Citizen... I have my doubts?
Why is it that any time I call, no matter what time of day or what day of the week I get the "We're unable to answer the phone" thing?

Because I started thinking about all the restaurants we have in Anderson and I could count on one hand the ones that stay open past 11. So by taking that provision out you might have helped 5-10% of cases in most towns. And being a college student I take advantage of both worlds, drinking and just going out to eat. And yes there are those who don't drink but hang out at the bar either because they're out with friends who do drink or because they don't feel like waiting on a table. But for the most part those who drink go to the bar and those who don't drink don't go to the bar. So eliminating that provision might have helped another very low percentage of cases. So I'd like to ask them why they would rather have seen this die a 100% good bill over passing a 90% good bill.

I know i have written Palmetto Gun Rights to voice my displeasure at their work. I know their biggest issue is constitutional carry so first they tried to attach that bill after it failed on it's own. You can always make an argrument for NO RESTICTIONS it's your right BUT life doesn't work that way. There was not an uproar over the restriction about not drinking while carrying so exactly how many people go to eat after 12:00. The one or two people who either do or want to need not respond. As another poster said a bill that is 90% good beats no bill at all.

There is also the discussion that carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol is already OK. My short rant. On the SLED website there are a list of banned places to carry and nowhere are the alcohol issues. The law ending in 465 says, "There will be a penalty for ILLEAGALLY carrying a handgun into an establishment that serves alcohol. IF you have a CWP and the restriction is not on the SLED list you are not illeagal. Carrying without a CWP would fit. No need to fill the thread with disagreement it's been done before just my opinion.

So, the Rep. Hart that was causing the problems for S.308 yesterday......click the link. Shouldn't surprise anyone. Link Removed. Very likely a staunch disciple of Comrade Obama.

Is the 3rd reading scheduled for today (Wednesday, 6/5)? If so, what are the odds of the Senate voting on it before the end of the session?

The Senate has approved a measure calling legislators back to the Statehouse in two weeks for a special session.

Legislators would return June 18 for up to three days under the resolution approved 39-4 on Tuesday. Another vote sends it to the House.

By law, the regular session ends at 5 p.m. Thursday. But there is no budget for the fiscal year that starts July 1.

The measure would limit what legislators can work on during the special session. Items include the state budget and measures that have passed both chambers....

Read more here: Link Removed

Is the 3rd reading scheduled for today (Wednesday, 6/5)? If so, what are the odds of the Senate voting on it before the end of the session?
Its on the calendar, supposed to be read early in the Session. However, I'm not sure the Senate will pass it in only one day.

Even though I have made my points about it (negative or otherwise) I do think it sucks for the Bill to get all the way thru the House only to have it die just as its getting to the Senate. Now, its still possible for the Bill to move on with only 1 day left in the calendar, but I see it unlikely given all the Amendments its tacked on since the Senate first saw it.

EDIT: Just saw the post above. That's great news!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back