Ruger SP-101

CDR_Glock

Glock 23
I have a Ruger SP-101 and I would like to make the trigger feel smoother (ie lighter with less tension). What do you recommed I do?

I have a hammer that I was considering getting bobbed. This would facilitate a better concealed carry gun. What do you guys and gals think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consult a few gunsmiths and make sure there are no cons to doing that. How is the trigger break for single action?

Peace...

~ How is the trigger break for single action?

Peace...

6SC has a good question, The Trigger for that 101 has to be very close to my Redhawk. I found that shotting in Single Action is MUCH smoother and lighter. I can't rememebr the last time I shoot in double action...

6SC has a good question, The Trigger for that 101 has to be very close to my Redhawk. I found that shotting in Single Action is MUCH smoother and lighter. I can't rememebr the last time I shoot in double action...

My groups are much tighter in single action.:biggrin:

4lbs, 2oz was the average break on mine with the Lyman gauge. If you teach yourself to use your left hand thumb to cock the hammer and practice you can get quick shots off without breaking grip and coming too far off target. Come to think of it, I could use some wheel gun practice.:biggrin:

Just my 2 pennies for thought...

Peace...

If you spend enough money with a good gunsmith, you'll be amazed at the doubleaction pull that is possible. I had a Ruger Security 6 that had been fully tuned(gave it to my son). That revolver has around 2# single action and 6-8# double action pull. Literally, the double action is as light as most single action pulls on this type of revolver. The bobbed hammer has just enough tip to thumb cock if you rock it back a little with the trigger.

My SP101 has no hammer, a little hammer would be better, so you could shoot single action. Mine is DAO. I personally like a heavy trigger. I've sold a lot of Colts over the years because the triggers were too light. The S & W and Ruger have always been right for me.

My wife carries a SP-101 (2 1/4" Barrel, .357 mag). When she first got it, I thought you needed a winch in dbl-action.

I took it to my local gunsmith who simply ordered a "spring kit" (Cost: $20) for it. The kit came with two "softer" springs. He installed the harder of the two, which was about 33% "softer" than the original. He also did a little polishing of the mechanism. It now is very reasonable to pull.

I think he ordered the kit directly from Ruger. He got it in about a week and the gun was in his shop for one day.

My total cost, including the kit, was $50.

Originally posted by 6shootercarry

My groups are much tighter in single action.

Mine too, but I rarely practice that way anymore. The SP-101 is a close-quarters defensive weapon, so I'd rather get good at using the double-action trigger. Tight SA groups in range-based shooting probably won't help much in a self-defense situation.

Great little gun, the SP-101 !

I like mine as is ..

I like the way mine is at first it took a little time and shot it a bunch alittle polishing would make a differance ! I put a spring kit in my GP100 6 in. 8 & 10 lbs. any lighter and you will have problems w/miss fires . Some ammo have a harder prime body and will fail ya !

I ordered the Wolff Spring kit from Midway USA for $10 plus shipping.
It comes with a 9#, 10#, and 12# hammer mainspring and an 8# trigger spring. I decided to install the 9# spring first and go to 10# if there were any FTF or light primer strikes. The 9# proved perfect. I left the trigger spring alone.

The factory springs are 14# Hammer and 11# trigger.

They are easy to put in yourself. Now, the wife's getting DEADLY shooting DA!! It is really smooth and slick now.

If you do go to replace the trigger spring, be careful ~ if you try to disassemble the trigger assembly, the pawl spring and plunger likes to shoot clear across the room and can be a bear to find. I speak from experience on this.

Overall, a cheap and relatively easy to do job.

Got my SP-101 just a couple months ago. Saw it at the dealer and when I put it in my hand it naturally lined up on target.

When I practice with it, I use a five small bulls eye target. Shoot 5 slow and accurate at the center target, two hand grip. I shoot 5 at the upper left target, one handed, single action, then 5 at the lower left target, single handed double acton. Same for the other side targets, only using the right hand. (I'm a southpaw.)

Got it to the point where either hand's groupings are virtually identical.

Like the gun for it's concealability and the way it fits my hand(s).

GG

Definitely leave enough hammer to thumb cock. We have a custom tuned Security 6 on which the hammer is completely bobbed so the only way to shoot single action is to use the trigger to lift the hammer a little so the thumb can catch it. This is tricky since the double action pull is so light. The other consideration is that a lighter hammer spring combined with a bobbed hammer may result in light hammer strikes=inconsistent primer ignition.

On the other hand, since there is no "safety" on the 101, getting a trigger pull next to nothing COULD be a source of accidental discharges.

.... and, yes, in combat situations one would generally be banging away with DA fire. Although, situationally, administering the coup-de-gras could be done with a SA shot.

Personally, I practice DA and SA, one handed and two, left hand as well as right. I'm a lefty, but my right hand shooting is becoming almost as good as left these past couple of years. Ya NEVER know!

GG

P.S. Just noticed, I already said that!

I have an SP101 that is DAO as well. I bought a spring kit from Brownells for it and changed out the hammer spring. It is much easier to shoot now than with the factory spring. The kit I bought comes with three hammer springs that will have either 8, 9, or 10 pound trigger pull. The factory spring is a 14 pound spring I believe. I installed the 8 pound spring and have had no problems with it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back