Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
Well, wouldn't you know it...the ATF gets all the goodies. I thought the Mini-14 was just a "ranch gun" - general purpose .22, good for riding along on an ATV or storing neatly in the pickup gun rack, good for plinking cans.

Link Removed! Whoa! I'm not sure, but that sounds like an awful lot of power for such an otherwise small rifle! Ruger has managed to invent a whole new caliber AND put together a compact gun that will fire a huge projectile! Incredible! I wonder what the felt recoil is on something like that?

Now...if only we could chamber a round of common sense for the media...hmmm...

Last edited:

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
That would be awesome having that kind of firepower. However, isn't there a law on the books making .50 caliber the largest legal caliber that can be produced?

NDS

I'm sorry, but that rifle was seized in California and .50 caliber and larger rifles are not allowed under California law. That rifle cannot possibly exist.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
I'm sorry, but that rifle was seized in California and .50 caliber and larger rifles are not allowed under California law. That rifle cannot possibly exist.

All joking aside, I thought calibers larger than .50 couldn't even be manufactured.

NDS

All joking aside, I thought calibers larger than .50 couldn't even be manufactured.

I'm not sure under current regulations, but a few years ago .577 and .600 Nitro Express rifles could still be ordered if you had a LOT of money. I know that existing rifles and ammo are still sold (I saw one in Phoenix Cabelas last summer--and Bass Pro here in Vegas occasionally has double rifles in express calibers)

Also, I believe you can still order single shots in some of the 19th centery (50-140 sharps for one) large bore cartridges.

I don't know the details regarding legality of these.

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
There's no such thing as a .53 caliber. I was poking fun at the ignorance of the media.

Speaking of stupid, I just noticed I had a "Beretta M5" all this time in my album. Now it's an M9. I have no idea how 9 = 5. Sometimes I amaze even myself. :thank_you2:

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
There's no such thing as a .53 caliber. I was poking fun at the ignorance of the media.

Speaking of stupid, I just noticed I had a "Beretta M5" all this time in my album. Now it's an M9. I have no idea how 9 = 5. Sometimes I amaze even myself. :thank_you2:

You know nobody on this site has a sense of humor :biggrin: Work on your sarcastic voice, toreskha.

I know of at least one guy here who owns a .51 caliber rifle. A couple of us saw what appeared to be a .50 BMG rifle at the local rifle range. Knowing that the.50 BMG was prohibited from being fired at the range, we chatted the guy up and he told us that it was a .51 caliber rifle. He handloads his ammo using .50 BMG brass and components. The barrel is stamped ".51 cal". After talking with the range master, he stated that there was nothing he could do as the rules were written to specifically state that the ".50 BMG" caliber was prohibited. Being that it's not a .50 BMG, it's allowed on the range. This is the same guy who owns a .408 Cheytac rifle. He paid almost 23K for the initial set up. I've been invited to shoot the Cheytac this week, just trying to find the time to get out to the range when he'll be there.

I'll post photos if I manage to get to the range and actually fire the two rifles.

gf

PascalFleischman

I wondered about that...hence, my comment. You just got ham-handed.

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
You know nobody on this site has a sense of humor :biggrin: Work on your sarcastic voice, toreskha.

Well I decided screw it, I'll go with the 92FS thing. Next week maybe I'll change it again and then knock out a wall and install a garage door. And a boat lift. Yep, a balls-to-the-wall sailboat lift. :moil:

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
If there's actually a .51 caliber out there, isn't it conceivable that there is a .53 caliber?
It's conceivable...but if you google it, nothing comes up in that context. It seems like it would pop up somewhere if it did exist.

Maybe that's a good idea though...the gov't could put out an order for a .50 caliber rifle based on the Mini-14 components, just with a bigger receiver. The barrel, however, is for a .22. Then they could issue them to gang members as they leave prison and tell them that they're best used inside of crowded cars for drive-bys.

W

wolfhunter

I'm not sure under current regulations, but a few years ago .577 and .600 Nitro Express rifles could still be ordered if you had a LOT of money. I know that existing rifles and ammo are still sold (I saw one in Phoenix Cabelas last summer--and Bass Pro here in Vegas occasionally has double rifles in express calibers)

Also, I believe you can still order single shots in some of the 19th centery (50-140 sharps for one) large bore cartridges.

I don't know the details regarding legality of these.

Except in the People's Republic of California, the .50 limit on firearm calibers applies to handguns. Rifles can be manufactured in larger calibers. However, unless one is going on safari, the larger calibers have enough recoil to make them impractical. Try a google search for .577 T-Rex videos.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Except in the People's Republic of California, the .50 limit on firearm calibers applies to handguns. Rifles can be manufactured in larger calibers. However, unless one is going on safari, the larger calibers have enough recoil to make them impractical. Try a google search for .577 T-Rex videos.

Are you saying that the wording of the law in PRCA only specifically prohibits .50 caliber guns, but not those in larger calibers? I have a hard time believing that.

W

wolfhunter

Are you saying that the wording of the law in PRCA only specifically prohibits .50 caliber guns, but not those in larger calibers? I have a hard time believing that.

The California law is not only specific to .50 cal, it is specific to .50BMG! A .50 blackpowder is legal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orangiajudes