RUGER LCP - I need a poor sights fix!

Runnerguy

I have shot 50 rounds through my new conceal carry pistol, a Ruger LCP and am not a very good shot. Usually I am a pretty good shot and I attribute the problem to a couple of issues. One is the barrel is only 2.75 inches and the pistol kicks pretty good being it has such a short grip. I think I can learn to shoot it ok if I can see the sights better;
Another problem is that I need reading glasses at age 55 and don't want to have to put them on to shoot; beings that in a self-defense situation I won't be stopping to put on my glasses!
So, I was thinking maybe to take some white or flouescent orange paint or chalk or something to highlight the front and back sights, which are very small to begin with- as a way to bring my eye onto a focus instead of trying to pick up on the black little bitty front and rear sights. They are really small sights....
Anyone else solved this problem???? I am not satisfied that this is a basically point and shoot gun....I want to get sighted in!
thanks in advance....Runner Guy

Cheaper...

If you don't want to drop the dough on a laser just get some bright neon fingernail polish. Check in a Sally's beauty supply.

Also practice point shooting at 3, 5, and 7yds. You don't need your sights and probably couldn't use them in a bad situation anyway because of the adrenalin dump.

If you rely on a laser it could slow down your shooting because you are hunting for the red dot. Just my opinion.. (laser proof suit on! flame away) :biggrin:

Cheap and effective

I agree with Jes, that a little fingernail polish on the front and rear sights does help a lot. I am over 60 and carry a LCP every day and have the same failing eyesight problems that you mention. I did not have any fingernail polish, so I used some liquid paper on front an rear sights, and it works well and if it wears of takes only a couple minuates to touch them up again. Try it you will like it.:pleasantry:

Shoot and practice at practical ranges for this gun (around 10') and you will find that "Point Shooting" works just fine.

This gun was never meant to be sighted. It is a point and shoot, usually fired from a flexed arm in front of the belly at about 7 to 10 feet.

I was trained by an FBI firearms instructor with my P-3AT (I am right handed), to hold my left arm at face height to block any physical blows while drawing the 3AT and firing with my right hand about belly height toward center of mass.

You have now placed two or three shots into the assailent before he may have even realized you even had a gun.

Practice this, it is amaziningly effective with these little pistols.

I agree this weapon is not a target firearm. If you're getting decent groups at 5-7 yards, I think you are doing well with this firearm.

I have found though, the "thumbs forward" grip used my most professional shooters works well with the LCP and many "pocket guns" if time affords a fully presented firearm. I've also found that with the proper mechanics of this form, the firearm is pretty much on target when fully presented. You can then just rely on the rudimentary sights just for confirmation.

Are your rounds hitting low? If so you may just be anticipating the recoil. A good exercise is to have someone load your magazine with live rounds while slipping in some dummy rounds or snap caps. You will see how bad your anticipation is. You'll be able to work on the problem once you see it. I'm 57 and my eyesight is not that good either. I practice instinctive firing/point firing from 10yds in. In a situation you won't have time to aim anyway so firing that way is a must.

I am 58, typical failing eyesight, and also have a Ruger LCP. I agree that it is a point and shoot pistol. Since 70% of gunfights take place at 10 ft or less, I practice point shooting at this distance. I have found with practice, accuracy can be achieved with point shooting.

I bought one of the early 370 series LCP's, which required having to send it back to the factory for an upgrade. I also had trouble with the lack of sights but was also shooting at to long a distance. I went to Wal Mart and bought some bright red, orange and pearl white fingernail polish. Found out that most fingernail polish won't adhere to metal surfaces. I am a member of an LCP Forum site ( Link Removed ) and through them was able to purchase a CT laser sight for around $165. The sight is great, very easy to install but I haven't had a chance to try it at the range due to a lack of ammo. There are websites that sell phosphorescent paint but it requires exposure to light to illuminate and have a limited glow period. I have to agree with Atstewart1. The LCP is an up close and personal self-defense handgun.

Here's How

I am new here so I will make this my first post:

Go to a gun shop and purchase a bottle of sight paint. Actually,you will need to purchase TWO colors. Put the orange/red (orange is more visible in low light) on the front ramp and then line the inside of the "V" rear sight with WHITE. Wipe both sights with alcohol and using a toothpick, put a DOT of the orange on the top portion of the front ramp. A dot at the top vs. an orange line down the whole ramp will tend to make it easier to center the sights and it helps keep you from shooting high, especially on quick follow-up shots. The contrast makes this combination VERY easy to see in low light. The Crinsom Trace works well, but for me it takes away from the reason most people use the LCP as a primary carry; it adds weight and bulk even though it is not much, not to mention $$$s.

As allready stated, the LCP is a BBG and it is quite likely you will not be doing much aming in a selp defense situation, but at the range it sure helps :):biggrin:

LCP accuracy

I own an LCR. I've always been of the mind, and I read another owner commenting, that with this type of weapon it's not about accuracy at distances. It's a stick it in his ribs and pull the trigger type of weapon.

I carry the Ruger P345 which has fairly decent sights but having injured my right eye a few years ago I have trouble seeing the front sight/ put a dab of white paint on it- that helped.

I was going to discuss a gun like the LCP being used for it's intended purpose of self defense within 21 feet and the associated under pressure "fast battle groups" the size of your outstretched hand versus relaxed paper target shooting trying to get the holes as close as possible. However, it's been pretty much touched on.

Your gun is fine, the sights are fine, your eyes are fine and together it's all fine for what the gun is intended for IMHO.

I am an NRA handgun instructor and I have a Ruger LCP. You can aim with the LCP it is just harder but use the fundamentals such as good grip, trigger control and follow through, I stood at 30 feet away and got 19 out of 20 7 ring or better. The thing is it is good to practice but if you ever get into a self defense shooting you will not be using the sights no matter which gun you are carrying.
Bud

I even have trouble w/ my Ruger P345. I put a daub of white paint on the front sight that helped a little, But nothings going to help that right eye I damasged it awhile back and the doc said he can't do anything to help it. I've been shooting w/ my right eye for as lon g as I can remember but this summer I'll have to start shooting left handed. Cwan't get out in the woods right now all forest roads are closed for the winter.

You outlined the reason I put a Crimson Trace on mine. But I found with practice it became easier to get pretty good results with the regular sights.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back