Ruger LCP does not like Fiocchi JHP

Magistrate PO

I recently purchased a Ruger LCP and bought a box of Fiocchi JHP in 380 for carry ammo. I ran a couple boxes of ball ammo thru the weapon to check for reliabliity, and it worked great, no problems at all. I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed. It seems that the ammo is just a fraction of an inch to long to work reliably in the Ruger LCP magazines. I am not sure is this is a problems with the size of the Ruger magazines or the ammmo, but I do not want this problem to ruin someones day when thier carry gun will not go bang. If you carry a Ruger LCP please run a couple magazines of your carry ammo thru it before trusting it with your life. Not meaning to slam Fiocchi as have never had a problems with thier ammo before.:frown:

I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed

Weird! I ran a couple of magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain XTP HP Bullets and had no problems at all. I also shot a couple of magazines of Speer Gold Dot 90 Gr. GDHP bullets and several magazines of Winchester 95 gr FMJ with no problems at all.

Maybe you should contact Ruger?

I just ordered a second magazine (being sent to Idaho since I can't use the LCP in Kalifornia). I'll check it out when I'm in Idaho at Thanksgiving. It could be magazine specific. Have you tried it in a second magazine?
:triniti:

I'd be inclined to believe it's the magazine over the ammo. As I said I'll try to check it out with a second magazine at Thanksgiving.

Ammo sticks in both magazines

I did try the ammo in both magazines and its the same results. I sat down at the work bench and using a hand file removed about 1/32 of an inch off the nose of the bullet after which they would feed reliably. I did compare the length of the cartridge with some other 380 ammo and it is longer. Just wanted to make sure anyone using this gun and ammo combination is aware that there may be a problem. If you run a few magazines of your expensive carry ammo thru it you will know if it is dependable or not.
Be safe.

Different Fiocchi?

It appears that perhaps you and I used different Fiocchi ammunition. I used the XTP HP and you said you used JHP. I'm assuming they may be different.

While I can't vouch for the Fiocchi ammo, I do know that Remington Golden Sabers are quite "rounded" for hollow points and cycle very well in my 380.

if you look on youtube

If you can watch the video on this , that ammo for some reason does not agree with the ammo clip and tends to bind in the clip when it gets to the last few rounds.

I recently purchased a Ruger LCP and bought a box of Fiocchi JHP in 380 for carry ammo. I ran a couple boxes of ball ammo thru the weapon to check for reliabliity, and it worked great, no problems at all. I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed. It seems that the ammo is just a fraction of an inch to long to work reliably in the Ruger LCP magazines. I am not sure is this is a problems with the size of the Ruger magazines or the ammmo, but I do not want this problem to ruin someones day when thier carry gun will not go bang. If you carry a Ruger LCP please run a couple magazines of your carry ammo thru it before trusting it with your life. Not meaning to slam Fiocchi as have never had a problems with thier ammo before.:frown:

look at this video !!!!
YouTube - Ruger LCP Fiocchi Ammo Problem

I had the same problem with Fiocchi Hollow points several years ago in a small 380. But it was the older Purple Box ammo and the JHP's with the lead exposed around the hollow cavity. The cartridges were too long to reliably feed and function. It works in some guns, and not in others. That's the reason why you should always test your gun with what you will carry in it. Never carry ammo that you have not tested. And I don't mean hand cycled. I mean FIRED in the gun. Firing and hand cycling are two different movements and cycle speeds. I've seen some ammo (and magazines) cycle by hand, but not cycle on firing.

My wife and I carry small 380s as bugs, we at first had a TCP and a LCP, we used several brands trying to get something we were both comfortable with, Fiocchi worked great in the Taurus but not in the ruger, and we had 3 mags for each, we finaly decided on powerball it worked in both guns reliably, we never did get used to that way long trigger on the Ruger and traded it for a second Taurus

My NAA Guardian eats, with gusto, anything I put in the mag, from Remington ball to Fiocchi Extremas.

Speer Gold Dots. 90gr. It's the only ammo I've put thru my LCP, same for my daughter. Gold Dots were recommended to me by another LCP owner so i bought three boxes, and not a problem noted. My daughter ran several boxes thru hers also and again, no probs. Sooooooo, we stocked up on spare parts, mags and Gold Dots!

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back