Ruger LC9, What to Do

lbbowhunter

lbbowhunter
I currently carry a G-26, G-19 or Sig P238. I am now looking at the Ruger LC9 for overall size with caliber impact. I live in California (Southern) which has challenges in itself. I was looking for some real life feedback on this firearm. I am challenged as to what I can carry because in California you can only have 3 pistols on your permit. I am looking at changing to the Ruger LCP, Springfield EMP and G-26. I do love the Sig P238 but need the LCP size and weight many times so that has to be my trade. The LC9 is something I am looking s optional in place of the G-26 or EMP. I hate to be so limited on carry but that's just the way it is.

Thoughts or recommendations?

I have a Ruger LCP 380 as a poket pistol. Just bought a S&W 380 Bodyguard and like it better becuase of the thumb safety and I feel better about putting one in the chamber. It also has a built in laser if you have time to use it. As a size comparison you can lay one on top of the other and there isn't a hill pf beans of difference. I'll keep the S&W and will probably sell the Ruger but am keeping it for now. Compact S&W M&P 40 for the hip, but people will debate any choice. I read alot and am still learning, but this is where I am so far.

I have been carrying an LC9 every day this summer. Part of that was a trip to Exeter my SigP220 was taking for a minor refurb. Honestly, it will be tough to swap back. The Ruger is so much lighter and slimmer that it will probably continue summer duty.

All that being said, it's unlikely to become a range favorite due to a LONG and pretty stiff trigger pull. Practice will help with that, but won't be the most fun you'll have at the range.

The main issue for me was the superiority of the 9mm over the .380 as a SD round. I wouldn't carry a .380, but that's a can of worms I wouldn't argue about with someone. You are the one whose life is being protected, by your own hand, so you have to make the decision about caliber.

I'm not fond of the redundant thumb safety, so I don't use it. The other features such as a magazine lock and the loaded chamber indicator were pointed out to me as allowing sale in the more gun-unfriendly states, such as California, but that is hearsay.

I hope some of this rambling might assist you in making a decision. My best suggestion is to get to a gun shop and handle both the LCP and the LC9 and make that decision about which round you rather carry versus size.

A slim, lightweight 9mm is the type of firearm I find most desirable for EDC. I bought the Kel-Tec PF9 and have put about 250 rounds through it. It shoots well although it certainly takes some practice to shoot it well.I suspect the Ruger LC9 would have very similar shooting characteristics. I have not fired an LC9 but I have other Ruger guns and am very happy with them all. I was like you. I wanted my carry gun to be at least 9mm, very small and lightweight. The PF9 carries very well. It took a bit of breaking in and the LC9 may as well. I think the LC9 would be an excellent choice. There are a few reviews on YouTube about the LC9. Good luck and happy shooting!:pleasantry:

I have the two Glocks and a Colt Mustang Pocketlite (same as P238). They are all better quality guns with a good reliability history, than the ones you are wanting to switch to. If you can't hide a P238, which I fiind more accurate and reliable, than you will not be happy with anything probably. I think you have the same disease most of us have, you just want to play with them all. Your only real solution is to move out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Here's a couple of videos that I found very interesting and informative regarding the LC9

I have a LC9 and love it to death. Carry it all day with no problem. Size is great and reliable. Put about 300 rounds thru it and no issues what so ever. Trigger is a long pull but you get use to it. Kick is not all that bad for its size. The slide safety to me is not a problem, I trained myself to flip it Down on my draw. Cleaning is not a problem and rather quick.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have to admit, I would love the options tgo carry all the pistols I own. Looks like I will add the LC9 to my collection at least. Have a grreat weekend.

So did you end up getting one? I got one about a month ago after a LOT of researching. I have about 200 rds through it, and absolutely love it, wouldn't trade it for the world. Just kinda interested what your experience has been so far.

I did it

Well, after the feedback I went ahead and bought one. Of course I'm in California so I have a 10 day wait and another 30 days before I buy another new pistol. I guess the follow up question is, Laser or not to Laser. I put a crimson trace on my LCP because of the realistic point and shoot with that gun. All my other carry guns have no Laser. So, with the long trigger pull?? Thoughts about a Laser for the LC9? I will update you after I get and shoot.

Good shooting, L

Here's a couple of videos that I found very interesting and informative regarding the LC9

Hickok45 has some amazing videos with amazing accuracy. I saw one where he did some serious long distance shooting with a glock 23. On a different note, Nutinfancy prefers the kel tec pf9 over the LC9.

For me, my next gun will probably be the Ruger LC9, unless kel tec re-issues the PMR-30. I have occasional FN-57 thoughts, but I tend to keep my purchases on the economical side.

I have carried a Ruger LCP since last April. I recently bought a Ruger LC9 for a more powerful concealed carry pistol. I have a Springfield XD9 sub-compact that I like a lot, but decided against it for regular carry. My thinking is that the LCP and LCP will allow me to switch between a .380 and 9mm depending on what my clothing can accommodate, and their virtually identical trigger pull will make the transition pretty seamless. After switching from the LCP to the XD on the rage I am afraid/almost certain that carrying the XD could be a real safety issue as it fires so much easier than the LCP. I don't want to have to think much about which pistol I am carrying and having to shift mental gears in an emergency situation to adjust for different trigger pull.

The LC9 isn't much harder to conceal than the LCP. An earlier poster mentioned the mag lock and thumb safety on the LC9, neither of which are on the LCP. I removed the mag lock bar fairly early (not a big deal for someone with some mechanical inclination). I carried the LC9 some with the thumb safety figuring I could just ignore it, but I recently removed the thumb safety lever after having it dig into my side and cause discomfort while carrying. Since the LCP has neither, I really want each of the two pistols to work as much like the other as possible. Now if I could just make the LCP slide lock back on empty ...

I carry a LC9 in very hot central Texas. Either pocket carry (my favorite) or IWB. Like the lite weight and 9mm. Had been carring over a month when the wife ask me if I was ever going to carry. It just disappears if done right. I like the idea of the saftey when I carry in my pocket with one ready to go.

I was on-the-fence regarding adding a LC9 to my arsenal. However, after seeing the videos above and doing some serious research, I went out and bought one today.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back