Ruger Lc9 for small 9mm??

Usa007

I been in the market for a compact 9mm lightweight and this seems to call my attention, any suggestions or thoughts on this gun?

Link Removed

There are a lot of threads on this site with comments on the LC9. I have one and love it. It conceals great and shoots straight. Its pretty light so the recoil is a little heavy. Make sure you shoot it before you buy it if possible to be sure its for you. Good luck

There are some others out there that are good for conceal ability like the Ruger SR9C (24 oz) and the Walther PPS (19.4 oz), the LC9 is 17oz. Definitely try before you buy. You may not like the recoil in the LC9. I can tell you that the recoil in the Walther and the SR9C is not too bad though.

Double-action

I think its a great gun, and I have been looking at it also.
My only issue is it is double-action like the Ruger LCP .380 which I carry mostly.
I've been told that double-action is usually better for carrying and all, but I am so used to shooting my SR9 and SR9C single action guns (well actually a striker-fired).

My Ruger LCP .380 has a really long pull, I think the LC9 is a bit shorter but try it out and get a feel for it first.

Good luck.

I carry a LCP (.380) regularly and bought an LC9 a couple of weeks ago.

I don't find the recoil uncomfortable at all.

I ran about 225 rounds through it on the first trip to the range on Monday with absolutely no issues. There are a limited number of holster combinations available right now, but the number seems to be growing almost daily.

The trigger pull is long (like the LCP), but is much smoother throughout the stroke.

The adjustable sights are a welcome addition to a small gun.

I have a Ruger LC9 (won on this forum!) and it's my carry gun almost all the time. I carry it in my pocket in an Uncle Mike's size #3 pocket holster or on my belt in a deSantis holster. Its recoil is really not bad and with the magazines with finger extensions, it's easy to hold on to. It shoots straight and has a good quality feel and IT'S MADE IN AMERICA, which means something to me.

Sorry, I'm not a fan. Ive handled a couple, and they do not impress. Ruger should stick with rifles. The LC9 IMHO is too stiff, the action does not seem to smooth out with use, and is sloppily machined. I picked one up in a shop once, and could not drop the slide release with all of my strength, unless using two thumbs. Atrocious. I closed it and locked it back myself again, same situation.

If you haven't bought it already, don't waste your money. Try a Glock, a Springfield CD or a S&W M&P. Although you probably don't get past the Glock! Good luck.

I've had my LC9 for about a month now and so far I love it. Iv'e put about 300 rounds through it with no FTE's or FTF's. It seems like it will be my main carry piece.

I have put 1000 rounds through my LC9 and have had no issues. Though the slide release is stiffer than on my M&P, I can still release it with one thumb. I just tested it again after reading Providence ranch's post.

Oh hell here comes the Glock stuff again.

the Ruger LC9 needs a good breaking time, just because you pick up a gun in a shop and you can not pull the slice and release it with your thumb you can not bash it. I have and carry a G36 and when I got it was sticky and rough too. machined rough? really. My LC9 has no issues and I have seen many LC9 with not internal issues.

Do not get me wrong. I have Rugers,glocks and springfields they are all good and they get better when you use them. Ruger makes guns that are built like tanks, Just like glock.

lets keep it real guys. Brand miopic is not good for providing information.

@stingray...

All of my observations are built upon a foundation of experience. And my preferences for certain brands, are likewise driven by my observations of those brands records of performance. You want to call that myopic, that's fine. I'll even let you continue to misspell it: that's your right. It's also your right as a consumer to settle for buying a weapon that requires a "break-in" period before it will function smoothly. Personally, I will spend my money on a weapon whose manufacturer happens to put out a product that performs flawlessly right out of the box. And I will continue to advocate those products to others. To do otherwise would be irresponsible.

For you to exercise your own version of brand loyalty to defend a substandard weapon, now that's myopia. And for you to criticise my objective observations, well that just shouts of ignorance.

I've had an LCP since 2009 and decided to get the LC9. I have a Glock Model 27 and love it but there is a good reason they call them a Block, they are thick and heavy. The LC9 will sit high and tight in the proper holster and I've found is nearly as concealable as the LCP. The LC9 is certainly easier to shoot than the LCP but isn't really a pocket pistol. One thing to watch with the LC9 is foriegn ammo because some varieties will plug the firing pin channel with primer shavings.

Usa007:229683 said:
I been in the market for a compact 9mm lightweight and this seems to call my attention, any suggestions or thoughts on this gun?

Link Removed
Thats the Ruger LC9. I have one and think its an fantastic little 9mm. Take some practice to get use to it but most people who have one just love it!

Sorry, I'm not a fan. Ive handled a couple, and they do not impress. Ruger should stick with rifles. The LC9 IMHO is too stiff, the action does not seem to smooth out with use, and is sloppily machined. I picked one up in a shop once, and could not drop the slide release with all of my strength, unless using two thumbs. Atrocious. I closed it and locked it back myself again, same situation.

If you haven't bought it already, don't waste your money. Try a Glock, a Springfield CD or a S&W M&P. Although you probably don't get past the Glock! Good luck.

It's not meant to be used as a slide release.Ruger suggests the slingshot method.Having said that after a couple hundred rounds it loosens up and can easily used as one easily with one hand.

Hey, fair enough. The collective masses seem to favor the LC9 as a suitable concealed carry weapon. That's totally cool. The great thing is that there are almost many gun choices out there as there are personality types, and preferences. In a perfect world, id have enough money to give the LC9 a six month trial period, and ditch it if I didn't get used to it. It ain't a perfect world, so I carry the one with the proven record for reliability, flawless function, out of the box perfection, will eat up whatever ammo you put in it, doesn't require a break in period, doesn't require "getting used to" and doesn't require the "slingshot" method to operate the slide release.

Peace out. :cool:

My buddy recently got an LC9 and he & I both love it. It shoots great, has had zero malfunctions in 200 rounds so far, is built like a tank(like all Rugers), & is priced right.

As far as Glocks, I wouldn't say they are flawless by any means, nor do they not require any getting used to, if your not used to them. I personally can't stand them. They feel terrible in my hand, & I can't shoot them well. For me it's just the opposite, Rugers feel completely natural. I think this is more person to perosn based than brand based.

@Providence Ranch

Sorry for the misspelling...Thanks for pointing it out....Low blow. But that is ok.

I have Glock, I carry a G36 every day, I have carried it on duty and off duty.

you say that a Glock does not need a brake in period...Well I disagree, Just look up on the internet "Glock break in period" you will find many, many post indicating that Glocks have issues during the "break in" period.

So to your experience I say, good for you...I have carried Glock and I owe my life to them.

but sir...They do have a break in period.

a gun is a tool, and with tools made by humans, they are not perfect. You will have issues with Glock, Sig, Springfiled, and any other vendor.

You like Glocks..good for you...You put your life on the hands of a brand, more power to you.

I'm of the old school the gun is a tool. It does not matter what tool you use, if it works for you use it to finish the job.

"Having a Gun does not make you armed, just like having a guitar does not make you a musician"

Good luck. I brake-in my carry gun, I put it thru hell and back, because I have been in hell and I do not want to go back. I bet my life and the ones I love on my skills, not on my tool.

With that Have a nice Day, sir...

Spell check it for me please. :sarcastic:

Lc9 observations

Currently my lc9 is en route to Ruger to repair for "light firing pin strike" fail to fire on my second trip to the range with it. For me it was a toss up between the Ruger and the Kahr cm9. I went with Ruger primarily because of the reliability of my lcp and viewed each as primarily a wasteband carry.
Observations:
1. The gun has a nice feel in the hand.
2. The recoil is MUCH less than I anticipated. It is comparable to my Glock 26. very controllable and not flippy like the lcp. My wife had no trouble shooting it -- and she has arthritis and carpal tunnel after 35 years as a legal secretary.
3. The trigger is long, but smooth. It is easily staged, as with the lcp. Pulling it straight through works very well. It is easy to get used to and readily become a non-issue. In fact, I have even accidentally "double tapped" it - as with my Glock and M&P.
3. Due to age factors, I am satisfactorily accurate with it. My son shot it for the first time and placed all rounds within the orange 4" round target at 15 feet.
4. The small lever on the side is NOT a slide release. I was informed by Ruger that it is merely a slide stop. It is not designed to release the slide and strip a round into the chamber - as required by Kahr firearms. This is my only complaint. It is part of the magazine disconnect system -another attempt to protect themselves legally by "over-safetyifying" a handgun.
5. Great service. Within an hour of contacting Ruger I was on my way to the UPS Station to drop off my package - Pre-paid and insured by Ruger - and overnight-air next day shipping.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back