Ruger GP 100

mncarrydude

What size barrel, and carry method? Go...

I went with the 3 and change sp101. It's great for hiking, camping and my nightstand. My bro-in-law has the GP but when I "tried it out" it was a bit thick. The revolver works best in winter months when you have extra room for the gun and its speed-loaders. My Glock 27 gives me 21 with the Pearce grip extensions with 1 clip. When I carry my .357 I top out at 10. I only carry it when I think I need more power (winter months with attackers that may be wearing multiple layers).

But how about for double duty as a hunting rig for white tail?

You really need a longer barrel for hunting than you can comfortably conceal. Under most circumstances, a 4 or 5 inch barrel is about all you can conceal easily on a revolver. For hunting, you want as long a barrel as you can get for several reasons- including the fact that increasing the sight radius gives you better control over accuracy AND the increase in barrel length will give you better velocity.

That being said, the GP100 is built like a tank and is capable of very good accuracy. I've shot both 4 and 6 inch GP 100's and they both were fine guns. I still prefer my Dan Wessons and Smith and Wessons but there's nothing wrong with the GP100.

Go with six inch barrel and get a custom leather belt/holster made by a local saddlery shop. It will make for a great woods gun, thus open carry.

For town, I recommend a .38 snubbie revolver worn concealed.

ChrisHunter:229200 said:
I went with the 3 and change sp101. It's great for hiking, camping and my nightstand. My bro-in-law has the GP but when I "tried it out" it was a bit thick. The revolver works best in winter months when you have extra room for the gun and its speed-loaders. My Glock 27 gives me 21 with the Pearce grip extensions with 1 clip. When I carry my .357 I top out at 10. I only carry it when I think I need more power (winter months with attackers that may be wearing multiple layers).
I have a Glock 27. Do I understand you right when you said you can get 21 rounds in the Pearce?? Where can I get one???

sixgun_symphony:229278 said:
Go with six inch barrel and get a custom leather belt/holster made by a local saddlery shop. It will make for a great woods gun, thus open carry.

For town, I recommend a .38 snubbie revolver worn concealed.
The SP 101 Hammerless is great also"

For my Glock 27 I carry one in the chamber and a Pearce +1 mag in the gun. My extra clip has the same grip extension giving me 10 in that mag so when I have my 27 with an extra mag the math works out like this. Mag = 10, chamber = 1. Therefore 1 mag in the gun + 1 mag in my pocket + 1 in the chamber = 21 total. Compare that to my Sp101 with one speed loader (which will never load as fast as a fresh mag in my glock). It's intrinsic ammo quotient is as follows: 5 in chamber + 5 in speed loader = 10 rounds. The ballistics and firing mechanism of the revolver have their own benefits in some situations. For the most part, unless I'm in the woods, I'll have an auto on hand.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back