Rock Island Armory compact Y/N?

bikerboy

NRA Member
Looking for any feedback or reviews on this pistol.Really want a compact 1911
and so far I like this one and also have the chance to buy a Charles Daly BUL M5
compact .45 for $535.00,but not sure about the daly and their changing situation
with co.The RIA was $495.00 at local shop and $465.00 w/shipping on line.Both
are nice NIB leaning towards rock island just because will daly be able to help on a
problem if there is one down the rd.Thanks for your reply's to help me on this!!

I've heard some very good things about the Rock Island full sized guns from folks that picked them up for SASS Wild Bunch matches but nothing on the compacts. All the full sized RIA guns I've handled (There's a nickel RIA in a local shop that's on my wish list to use as a truck gun but I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet) look like what the average non-Colt 1911 looked like about 20 years ago. They are basically GI stock and reliable. That would, in my mind,make them great base guns for customs kinda like the Norinco 1911 copies were back in the '90's before Slick Willie decided that we didn't need to import them any more. As a matter of fact, I've heard that exact comparison made by some old school gunsmiths that made their bones on the West Coast building ISPC guns back in the '80's and '90's. The Filipinos have had a long history with the 1911(like almost as long as the US Army's) and know it well, so it ain't like we are talking about somebody building them that doesn't have a history with the design.

Guys, he's not asking about Kimbers, he's asking about RIA guns.

Ya'll are getting as bad as the 'Ruger, Stoeger and Marlin' crowd over on the SASS Wire.:hang3:

Just because that's what works for YOU doesn't mean that its the best answer for HIM.:no:

:eek:fftopic: Thanks JTG,
I would like a kimber,they are pretty more than anything and great rep.But
my pocketbook is not that large and I always liked and had success with underdogs.
So any info or comments pro/con RIA compact feel free!Oh also I spotted a CD BUL M5 compact
in local shop also NIB goin cheap.Another consideration

I own two of the RIA guns. The standard 1911-A1 and the Tactical model. Both 5" models.

While they may not present CNC internals, match grade barrels, etc they both have been 100% reliable out of the box when used with Wilson Combat magazines. Their accuracy is as good as any Kimber @ the 25 yard line, if your doing your part with the trigger and grip and sight alignment.

The parkerized finish leaves a bit to be desired, but it's a $400+ gun. While the finish is smooth and even it does wear and you will see a slight difference in coloring after handling them day in and day out. If this bothers you then simply have it refinished or Armor Coated.

The extractors in both of mine where tuned perfectly at the manufacturer vs my Kimber Tactical Custom II which needed tuning about every 250 rounds and literally fell out of the slide when I removed the firing pin. It's not supposed to do that and the RIA guns do not. The mainspring housing is also steel vs my Kimbers plastic MSH. Go figure.

I have heard that the frame is cast steel and have heard that they are in fact forged steel, but I can't tell the difference. YMMV. Still better than an aluminum frame, in my opinion.

First thing I did to both RIA guns was remove the wood grips and installed the VZ G10 "Operators" Not only do both guns look great but the "Operator" grips from VZ are possibly the best grips for tactical and defensive use. They both look high dollar when in fact they are not.

For the money, you will not be dissapointed.

Just to confuse the issue.... What about the Springfield Armory Champion Lightweight Operator? Plus Springfield has GREAT customer service. It comes in 4" or full size.

Just to confuse the issue.... What about the Springfield Armory Champion Lightweight Operator? Plus Springfield has GREAT customer service. It comes in 4" or full size.

Great guns, can't stand the guide system in them though. It's just not right for a 1911. :biggrin:

+1 for RIA

I have two Rock Island pistols. One is a compact (CS) that I've had about two years:
Link Removed

The other is a full sized tactical model:
Link Removed

Both are solid, accurate, and dependable. The CS went for under 400 and the full sized was well under 500.
All RIA's come with a lifetime warranty. You won't be sorry to get one.:biggrin:

I have a RIA compact, and the only thing it has ever needed was an upgrade on the grips and MORE AMMO !! I also own 2 colts and a Kimber, for the money, you cannot go wrong with the RIA .... just my $.02

Had an RIA compact for a week now ran over 200 rounds through her no problems I love it can't beat the price

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back