Road Trip (Laws Question)

armyman_83

lowly crusader
Hey everyone,

I am planning a road trip for either this summer or next and I had a few questions, I figured some other folks might have the answers pretty handy.

I want to carry a weapon for self defense, I mean I normally carry everyday. Heck, I have a little S&W .380 Bodyguard on me right now. But I know I can't carry in every state. I have an Alabama Pistol Permit. I was thinking my cheap little old double barrel 12 gauge shot gun would be the best. Now, of course I can't walk around with it. But seeing as I will be driving most places I figured I could easily keep it in my vehicle; as double barrel shotguns aren't outlawed in any state. While its not what I might want, does that make the most sense?

I have considered saying screw "The Man" and just carry anyway, but I am pretty straight laced and don't like skirting the law if I can help it.

And as a side, what if I wanted to go into Canada? They haven't outlawed double barrel shotguns yet have they?

Thanks for any info yall could help me out with.

Unless you are going to travel with the unloaded guns locked in your trunk with the ammo (FOPA 18 USC 926a), then you will have to abide by the laws of every state you will be travelling in. There can be no universal answer to your quesiton - without knowing what states we are talking about, there can be no accurate answers given.

Check Handgunlaw.us they have very good summaries of the different states' firearms laws and will also tell you what states you Alabama permit is good in, which are: AK, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, NC, NH, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WY (according to handgunlaw.us).

There are a lot of States that I carry a pistol but would never carry a Shotgun. It hard to understand some States Shotgun Laws. Pistol laws are a lot clearer.

Unless you are going to travel with the unloaded guns locked in your trunk with the ammo (FOPA 18 USC 926a), then you will have to abide by the laws of every state you will be travelling in. There can be no universal answer to your quesiton - without knowing what states we are talking about, there can be no accurate answers given.

Thanks for the info. As to what states. Its all 48 of the Contiguous United States.

I figured I might be able to put the shotgun in the trunk, in a way that is relatively easy to get to even from the passenger compartment. You know cars that have a lever to pull to open the trunk from the inside, NOT the lever near the door, but the lever on the back seat that folds down. In theory you can have it in your trunk, with shells attached to either the butt or to a sling, or what not. Just reach back, pull the buttons, slide the seat down grab, load and shoot. A lot more of a hassel but better than nothing.

Last edited:
:fie: Only if you want to lose your right to bear arms.

You have to follow the States laws that you are in. While I find this absurd due to citizens in the past could travel coast to coast without any permit needed for their gun.

It has been said. There are so many conflicting laws in each state that the only real answer to ensure that you do not have your trip interrupted by being arrested is to leave your firearms at home. You can always do your due diligence and plan your trip around different state laws and avoid those that conflict with your desire to have a firearm with you.

actually you can take certain firearms into canada depending on what they are. handguns are a no-no as well as many semi-automatic long guns. most bolt-action rifles and most shotguns can be brought in but it is strictly controlled on how they may be carried. you can get the firearms declaration form from the canadian athorities before entering canada and pay the firearm registration fee upon entering canada. i think the fee is about 30-50 dollars and is good for 6 months. it is also good for more than one gun. the form has boxes to be checked giving your reason for bringing firearms into canada. note that self-defence is not listed. however if there is a box that can be checked for protection against wild animals. i assume this means if you are camping in a remote area. yes it is a hassle but it can be done. i dont have the web site in front of me but a google search of traveling with firearms in canada should bring results. is it worth it? mabye. but do follow the law because if you dont and get caught the least that will happen is you will be banned from canada but your gun will be confiscated.

You may want to be careful transporting the shotgun. I know in my state (WV) if you are only allowed to carry a loaded handgun with a carry permit in a vehicle. Any other weapons, if even you have a permit, must be unloaded and cased. Unfortunately AL and WV do not have reciprocity(which I think is pretty stupid.) You should not have a problem transporting a pistol here if it is transported in the cased unloaded manner. As a precaution, I would keep the cased weapon out of reach of the driver's zone. We all need to keep on our state reps about reciprocity.

:fie: Only if you want to lose your right to bear arms.

You have to follow the States laws that you are in. While I find this absurd due to citizens in the past could travel coast to coast without any permit needed for their gun.

It has been said. There are so many conflicting laws in each state that the only real answer to ensure that you do not have your trip interrupted by being arrested is to leave your firearms at home. You can always do your due diligence and plan your trip around different state laws and avoid those that conflict with your desire to have a firearm with you.

18 USC 926a:

Link Removed

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

BTW, a loaded shotgun or rifle, anywhere in the vehicle, is illegal in Washington State, regardless of CPL status.

Try Pack-n-Go Carry Concealed

Link Removed

It's a start then use NavyLT's link Link Removed for state specific info.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back