Road Trip from GA to Norfolk, VA

stmartin84

Hey all! I have checked the map for where my permit is allowed. As a GA permit holder driving to VA I need to know what my rights are. I see that VA doesn't honor my permit, but what are the laws about the handgun in my truck or hotel room? I am leaving on Saturday so any help would be great!

open carry only, check out the VA section on open carry laws. that's rigt in my area. people will look at you funny, but not panic

I OC in norfolk occasionally and so do some of my friends. Wont get alot of looks depending on where ya go, but its all about how you present yourself when you carry. Same normal transport laws apply, in a case, unloaded with ammo in another area of the car. I would go with gun in back seat and ammo in trunk or vice versa. Welcome to Norfolk my friend, weather is gonna be awesome this weekend, btw dont OC in Va Beach if ur planning on heading over there, people around the waterfront tend to be edgy.
Have a safe trip,
Tony

Hey all! I have checked the map for where my permit is allowed. As a GA permit holder driving to VA I need to know what my rights are. I see that VA doesn't honor my permit, but what are the laws about the handgun in my truck or hotel room? I am leaving on Saturday so any help would be great!

NOT LEGAL ADVICE!!!!!

Va. is an open carry state. You can have the gun in your vehicle openly carried, i.e. not concealed. Va. law defines concealed as "hidden from common observation" such as a bag, purse, glove compartment, under your coat, etc. Just lay it on the seat next to you, the dash, center console, etc. As long as its visible, you're fine. You can also openly carry it on your person, no permit required, although there have been incidents with Norfolk PD about this (google "Dan Moore Norfolk"). Visit OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! and check the Va. forum. Lots of good info there about carrying in the Old Dominion.

You can also "transport" it by having it unloaded, in a locked case in your trunk, seperate from the ammo.

As far as your hotel room, its like a temporary home. Unless the hotel prohibits firearms on their property, you're ok (but dont ask them what their policy is, they'll of course say NO GUNS").

Not sure how long you'll be here in Va. but we have a Utah permit course scheduled for May 3 in Richmond. You can get a Utah permit that will be good the next time you come to Va.

Jim

PS - what part of Ga. are you coming from? I was just in Moultrie & Albany last week.

Proactive Shooters - Firearms Safety, Training and Instruction

Jim, thanks for the advice. I think I'll carry my Glock 40 in my truck on the center console. If I do get pulled over I'll do the respectful thing and advise him with my hands on the steering wheel that I have a weapon. Hopefully I won't have a problem.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back