Right To Carry vs Going Armed to the Terror of the People

Barrett Powell

Responsible Gun Owner
Whether we realize it or not, our 2nd ammendment rights have been eroded to the point we are literally reduced to having a gun ONLY in our own home. There are more places we are prohibited from having a firearm than not. And the whole "going armed to the terror of the people" is subject to the interpretation of the LEO and to most part, the public in that area.

There are so many restrictions nowadays that I find myself leaving my firearm just to avoid all the hassles. And that is exactly what the anti-gun faction wants.

So in many instances, they have already won.

It is a problem. Depending on what business you are going about it's quite a hassle to arm/disarm for every occasion. IMHO anybody posting a "no guns!" signs should be required by law to have an attendant at the door that holds the firearms untill the carrier leaves again. That's the way they would have done it in the Old West, nobodoy would seriously have expected you to leave it at home because you can't take it to a certain place.

Come on down to FL. We don't have any jobs but there are only a few places we can't carry concealed.
For instance;
Government buildings or building being used for Government business.
Schools.
Airports or seaports.
Bars or bar areas of restaurants.
There are private properties where they don't want you to carry but we don't have to do business with them.

I feel just the opposite. In Wisconsin we will be able to legally conceal carry for the first time later this year. There are very few restrictions written into our new law as to where we can carry. Even bars and resturants that don't post are ok for us to carry in.

Yea Wisconsin!:pleasantry:

I have not heard of "Right to carry vs going armed to the terror of the people". Where did that come from? What terrifies me is that our government may allow our 2nd amendment rights to be destroyed to the point that it is considered unlawful to have weapons of any kind. I guess it is ok for our families to be terrorized by thugs and folks who have no regard for the sanctity of our homes? That makes me angry to think of this.

Info is from this link. STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.

First is the law that everyone is talking about:
The offence of riding or going armed with unusual or dangerous weapons, to the terror of the people, is an offence at common law, and is indictable in this State.

The following is from the Judge's decision in STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY: It is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

So from this, walking around with a pistol in a holster is not Going armed to the terror of the public, because this is the way that is should be carried. It is when the gun is withdrawn from the holster for purposes other than defense, or carried in ones hand and it is not contained in a holster, that the person could then be considered going armed to the terror of the public.

Places here in Florida like toys a us have a sign on the door that is hard to see. The malls have a sign and in the fine print says no weapons. Leave it in an car safe if u must. Although trying to be a good citizen, if the gun is concealed....who will complain? Your call, just don't so it in the fed and state gov areas.

Info is from this link. STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.

He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

So from this, walking around with a pistol in a holster is not Going armed to the terror of the public, because this is the way that is should be carried. It is when the gun is withdrawn from the holster for purposes other than defense, or carried in ones hand and it is not contained in a holster, that the person could then be considered going armed to the terror of the public.

Care to put that to the test?

Remember back during the Gulf war when the French were very public about their disdain for the war. There was a huge anti-French back-lash here in the States...everywhere but in Carboro, NC...one of the most liberal towns in the US.

So if you were to main streetmainstreet in Carboro with your gun and holster strapped to your best I bet you will get arrested for "terrifying a peaceful people". And I'm betting there are thousands of other cities and towns just like it...say Washington and Chicago.

So we are not free to exercamendmentd ammendment rights but in some areas, mainly out homes. I will bet even in Florida there are places you would not feel at ease about carrying a weapon openly even if the law says you can.

So in many ways, the anti-gun lobby has already won.

Does the sight of my gun upset you? Have a hanky.:cray:
(not my saying, but oh so appropriate):biggrin:

I'm a firm believer in concealed carry. Sign or no sign no one is going to search me and say you can't have that here. I've carried for over 10 years and have only been busted once, and that was in my own business. If I did get busted in a place that did post a sign all they can do is kick me out. I love Iowa :biggrin:

It's our right as law abiding citizens to legally carry firearms. If they don't like the laws in this great land.. there's always Cananda or somewhere else to go.

Come on down to FL. We don't have any jobs but there are only a few places we can't carry concealed.
For instance;
Schools.
Airports or seaports.
There are private properties where they don't want you to carry but we don't have to do business with them.

Florida IS one of the MAJOR places where the public is terrified at the sight of a gun... at least that's what the legislature says...

I am very happy we don't have such problems in Washington state.

Welcome to Texas just leave your tax your state to death attitude and your liberal attitude at home, oh wait sorry you want to carry arms, must not be liberal.

I have not heard of "Right to carry vs going armed to the terror of the people". Where did that come from? What terrifies me is that our government may allow our 2nd amendment rights to be destroyed to the point that it is considered unlawful to have weapons of any kind. I guess it is ok for our families to be terrorized by thugs and folks who have no regard for the sanctity of our homes? That makes me angry to think of this.
Do not forget that you and I are the Gov't. not the elected servants. We allowed it to get to this point and now we have begun to turn back our trusting ways back to overseeing our servants.

Florida IS one of the MAJOR places where the public is terrified at the sight of a gun... at least that's what the legislature says...

I am very happy we don't have such problems in Washington state.
No most have been conditioned to be frightened by our former Janet Reno, once again our own fault for trusting our elected servants and not overseeing them.

For instance;
Schools.
Airports or seaports.

Come on over to Oregon. We have even fewer:
(The places barred by federal law:) Federal government buildings, post offices, secure area of airports, etc.
Court rooms (and areas inside court houses that are adjacent to the court room or judge's office - as determined by the judge. Generally this means "the whole court house.")
Private locations that the owner deems they do not wish guns.

You'll notice that schools and bars are *NOT* on that prohibited list.

And having a Concealed Handgun License allows you to open carry anywhere you can concealed carry, even if it is otherwise prohibited by local statute. (Localities are allowed to prohibit open LOADED carry - unless you have a CHL, then the local laws don't apply to you.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back