Retirement Overhaul scares me

C17LM

From an August 2008 DoD Board of Actuaries' report "In any given year, looking at populations of non-disabled military retirees age 60 and older, the death rate for active duty enlisted retirees is 20 to 25 percent higher."
Notice it says NON-Disabled so it is not including those of us who have broken our bodies, minds and hearts in the service of this country.

Now fast forward to 2011 economic crisis the country is going broke and the liberals have to find a way to continue to support their constituent base of crack head baby factories and the generationally unemployed. Enter stage left Leon Panetta and the Defense Business Board with a great plan change the military retirement to start at age 65... please refer to the 2008 report. Great Plan? I dont think so.

You need to read what Admiral Mullens and DODSecy Robert Gates had to say before they retired from Service... "Ain't gonna happen"! I retired in 09/83 after 25yrs and I've heard the same story from Carter, WJ Clinton, and now Barack Hussien Obama. "Ain't gonna happen"!

They have to screw the military. They don't fall under labor law protection and they can't unionize. I'm anti union but since a large percentage of civilian government employees are they they can't cut there benefits.

Americans want everything without having to pay for it.

The taxpayers want full government services but don't want to pay taxes.

The government wants a huge military but doesn't want to have to pay for it.

The current thought in economic circles, including the universities, is that the best way to cut expenses is to not pay your bills.

We are deep in a mass CRI (Cranial Rectal Inversion) as a nation.

I got this in my email today. I think his sentiments will probably be shared by all on here.

I served 21 years (3 of which were in combat) in the Marine Corps as an infantry officer. I'm now 65 with old injuries from those days becoming more annoying every year.

Personally, I think I earned every penny of my pay in those days. For 21 years, I was on 24x7 notice to be sent in harm’s way by politicians. For three years in combat, I often wonder in the back of my mind if I'd see the next sunset or the next sunrise. All the other times, I was too tired to think about anything. At least that was my experience.

So if I did make a little more than a college graduate (which I didn't in my time), it was because I was putting my life on the line while they were working their way up the corporate ladder or starting business in the comfort home and protected by police, firemen, and paramedics.

Look, I'm not complaining.

God never said life would be fair. He only said it will get better when you die.

I had one heck of a wild ride those 21 years in the Corps. I had the honor of serving with some of the finest and most dedicated people on the face of the Earth. In desperate fights, we were all brothers regardless of rank. Personally, I never met a Marine infantryman or a Navy Corpsman who wouldn't have risked his life to protect the Marine on his left and right. I saw one of my Corpsmen vaporized by a large mine as he rushed to give aid to a dying Marine. And dead or alive, I never left a Marine or Corpsman on the battlefield. That was unthinkable.

If I could do it again, I would--regardless of how it might end a second time around.

My point is this. That guaranteed pension (at least until the politicians who send these young men and women to war decide to change it) is the compensation for being on duty 24 hours of every day for 20 years prepared to be sent to war at the whim of the President and Congress.

The military doesn't start wars--the politicians do from the comfort of their plush leather chairs in the House and Senate or from the Oval Office. But we have to end it for them with the most horrific carnage you can imagine.

Think about it. We've been at war in Afghanistan for 10 years. Now we, as a nation, are saying, well boys, nice job. And as a token of our appreciate, we are going to reduce your pension. Oh, by the way, you're leaving for your 5th tour in Afghanistan next Friday.

I've had to cross rice paddies under heavy automatic fire, my platoon was in hand-to-had combat with bayonets and rifles as clubs, I've stepped on a mine that failed to detonate, I had a grenade explode less than 2 feet from my head, a sniper missed by less than an inch, I've had friendly air strikes accidentally bomb my unit, I've had friendly artillery devastate our company one night when we were mistaken for the enemy, I've had intestinal worms and infections that doctors couldn't identify, I've had to drink water fouled with human and animal feces, I've been in two helicopters that were shot down, I've had so many close calls that statistically I shouldn't be alive today. And I came home to a country that despised me and who I was.

But worst of all, I've seen good Marines go to their death or be horribly wounded only to have the politicians wave the white flag and cave to the enemy's demands.

And to add insult to injury, I was a company commander during the evaluation of Saigon in April 1975 when we lowered the flag on the Embassy, and ran like a bunch of yellow jack rabbits.

And 40 years later, I'm still haunted by the thoughts and faces of my Marines who didn't make it or were left crippled for the rest of their lives. After 40 years, I can still recall those dark days as if I were still there. And 40 years later, whenever I'm in Washington DC on business, I always take time to stop at the Vietnam memorial to offer my silent respects to the 58,000 who died in that war--a war we were not allowed to fight to win.

Personally, I think I and all of those who served their country for 20 years or more with long hours, separation from families, and the risks involved have earned our pensions. I also believe that we as a nation should take better care of the wounded veterans and the families left behind.

I don't buy the argument that the pensions for serving 20 in the military should be civilianized. It's not a civilian career.

President Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and most other Democrats are telling us we need to share in the sacrifices. Brother, those people have no freaking idea what sacrifices have already been made by the military, by the people and untold future generations of this country who are now stuck with paying the bills after Congress has spent us into oblivion. Let them first cut spending to all of the thousands of worthless programs in which the federal government has no business being involved. Let them first reduce the size of the federal government.

Let them first pay the political price of the broken promises that they knew they couldn't keep just to buy a few more votes.

And when there is nothing left to cut, then and only then speak of shared sacrifice.

I apologize for the length of this. But I'm in no mood for helping Congress clean up the economic mess they themselves knowingly and willingly created. Can anyone tell me exactly what sacrifices Congress and President Obama have made to date? Anyone....? Bueller?

Read more: Pentagon Considering Scrapping Traditional Pensions In Its Proposed Retirement Program Overhaul | FoxNews.com

I just retired in May and if I wouldn't have the current 20 year retirement program to look forward to, I don't believe I would have stayed 23 years.

This is pathetic... what our gov't wants to do to save money. Instead of cutting needless spending elsewhere they want to cut retirement to our military sevicemen and women... absolutely pathetic. I'm an OEF veteran and am still AD... what I've witnessed our servicemen and women sacrifice makes me break down and cry when I think about it. The long hours worked, the long deployments in harms way, the moments of life missed, the fathers who miss the birth of their children, mothers who will never see their sons again...

Best friends holding each other while one passes in his arms, the screams and cries from the men next to you, the nightmares you'll have for the rest of your life... the things you hold inside, unable to convey to those around you because they'll never understand...

Not a day goes by that I do not think of the men I served with... not a moment goes by that I don't hear the rockets, and the crack of rifle fire... it absolutely enrages me at the treatment of our beloved Soilders, Sailors, Airman, and Marines. This America I live in, this government has put me in harms way in the name of freedom and righteousness... to be repaid with cut benifits, and a half hearted thank you.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

I'm a Vietnam vet and I'm with the rest of you here even though I did not make the military my career. Anyone who has served, be it in battle or peace time and has made the service their life long vocation we owe you big time! To be called to make the ultimate sacrifice, to see the death and carnage, the terrible dreams and visions, or to even have that spectre part of one's everyday life demands an ironclad contract with one's country and government. The pols need to place you career people first in line for retirement benefits and not spend that money on some sorry ass pulling in welfare or a program for teaching 3rd graders how to put on condoms. Being one of the few mandated obligations of the federal government (building and maintaining a military), our elected officials need to realize that our protectors and our retired warriors need to be paid FIRST!

Never say never, but I don't see these changes happening as they are currently described. In the near term, while we're still at war, members of Congress will despised if they vote for these changes...redefining the normal retirement benefit age as well as changing the retirement trust fund to individual 401K-style accounts. After the shooting stops and the job market bounces back, these changes probably won't attract enough new recruits or retain sufficient career personnel. But like I said...never say never.

I was in the Navy from 75 - 96, retiring with 20+ years of active duty. the last 10 I was a Navy Counselor and saw some of the changes in retirement - even back then. I think when I retired there were actually 3 different retirement 'systems' out there (for lack of a better term...) So don't say it can't happen -- it can, and HAS changed over the years.

Although, I agree with those who say that this 'drastic' of a change is not as likely....I certainly hope it doesn't happen - our vets deserve better!

It is my firm believe that our government should keep faith with the Veterans that have faithfully served and protected our Nation. I know exactly where to get the money we are lacking and so desperately need: Cut it from foreign aid and from the welfare system that is so widely abused, specially in our inner cities. That should make up for a big chunk of our budget deficit.

Any govermental retirement system whether it is federal, state, military, social security etc. are all politically driven due to the whims of the public with little actual knowledge of what the effect will be either good or bad. The primary problem with social security is not the amount that the retirees get or the actual number of retirees but rather the very large number that draw the maximum benefits and paying the minimum in. Under current rules it is possible and likely that a person who pays in the the SS system for five years or sometimes less can retire and their benefits are higher than someone in the same pay bracket who has paid in for 45 years.

I know of one man that retired and his first check was more than the total sum that he had paid in for his entire life. Not only that but he had several children that were as young as 18 months old that continued to receive payments until they were 21.

Cuts should and need to be made but everytime they start talking about cuts they look at the wrong places to be cutting. In SC a few year ago the legislature got all carried away about how much the TERI program was costing. Several studies proved that not only did the TERI program not cost extra but the State actually made money off of the program. The entire justification for trying to do away with the program had nothing to do at all with the retirees but with other problems created by the legislature and absolutely nothing was done about them.

Hometown Medical Care

Currently America's Service-Connected Disabled Veterans are forced to travel distances greater than 100 miles from their homes to receive less than adequate medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals for the treatment of their Service-Connected Disabilities. Not only that but whenever a Veteran's Service-Connected Disability and/or Condition requires extended hospitalization their friends and family are unable to visit them or stay with them during their ordeal.

Hometown Medical Care will grant America's Service-Connected Veterans their RIGHT to chose their medical providers from within their own home communities. Then whenever a Service-Connected Veteran's disability and/or Condition requires an extended stay in a hospital they will be hospitalized in a local hospital where their friends and family are able to visit them and when necessary stay with them.

My name is Jim Hayden and I AM the next American President
Link Removed

Hey Top I must disagree.

I was retired in 1974 with a medical disability. I was injured while on the job and was released with 30%. Now having said that during the Carter years all Veterans with a 100% Service-Connected Disability had their disability checks stopped and had to refile claims and prove that their injuries were Service-Connected. Most of them were World War II Combat Veterans whose medical records if available were written in German. The Japs didn't keep any medical records on our POWS as most died under questionable circumstances. Then under Reagan the Democrats flexed their muscles again by reducing the number of new claims allowed through the VA's Adjudications system. At that time if a Veteran did not have a Service-Connected Disability rating they could NOT get any medical care from the VA for their Service-Connected Disabilities and/or conditions. Then under Clinton the Democrats upgraded the Veterans Administration to the Department of Veterans Affairs while adding yet another administrative hearing board to the already far too complex Department's Adjudications system. This meant fewer Veterans could get their badly needed medical care for their Service-Connected Disabilities and conditions. Then again while slick willy was in office the Democrats offered our Combat Veterans what they called 100% Unplayability and opened the Department's Medical Centers up to all Veterans regardless of disability as long as they had private health insurance or were Service-Connected Disabled. Now those silly Democrats have gone and done it again. Under Obama a widow/widower of a 100% Service-Connected Veteran is no longer eligible to receive his or her survivors pension once his or her 100% Service-Connected spouse dies.

So yes this is a very real concern and YES we must unite to end this travesty of justice.

Jim Hayden for President in 2012
Link Removed

They are already trying to double the price retirees pay for tri care. I can remember them telling me many years ago that you were garenteed to have heath care for the rest of your life. So welfare gets Obama Care and more of our retirement taken to pay for work related issues!

Many, many years ago there was an anti-war commercial on TV. If I remember right, there were 2 old farts in suits in a field that were getting ready for a fist fight. The message was "what if they threw a war and nobody showed up?" or close to that. If the politicians end up making major changes to military pay, benefits(again), and retirement we just might find out the answer to that question. Then this country will be truely screwed!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back