Rethinking The Bat belt

So? You will find a good number of us out here, by the millions, ignore signs that dictate a managers feeling, or the direction of a law that forbids us to be more able to defend ourselves.

And you will find many more who obey the law

After all, if you consider the idea that one trains to draw only when one's life is threatened then nobody will ever know.

If no one will ever know I didn't need the gun in the first place

I have been in the same boat as your in now my friend. My guard license was state issued and it was for unarmed work. I always had a flash light on my when I worked second and third shift(or took one off the rack when working a double/triple shift.) Other then my radio and flash light I ALWAYS carried a knife on me.

The whole no gun thing never really came into play because I worked in a firearm plant(Ruger's) and if I really needed one I could get one.

If I know I'm going to be out after dark I carry my surefire in a mag/light combo pouch. Or I use my raven concealment IWB light holster and carry my firearm with my weapon light. I never carry my leatherman on my person it stays in my EDC bag along with other EDC items I choose not to carry.

So? You will find a good number of us out here, by the millions, ignore signs that dictate a managers feeling, or the direction of a law that forbids us to be more able to defend ourselves. In my kids school, at the post office, church, bank, court house (before they installed metal detectors) I may or may not have carried. "May or may not have", as this is a public forum ya know... Anyway, I read your post including the part about "not being allowed", and I say to that: tough titties, I'd carry anyway and I do. After all, if you consider the idea that one trains to draw only when one's life is threatened then nobody will ever know. If people around you do end up knowing you carried in a non-carry area then at least you WILL BE ALIVE to be prosecuted. I'll take a large latte and a 'duh' to go.

^^^ Totally disagree with this post.

Some laws are illegal themselves. Consider our founding documents, or our Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment. What is an infringment? ...Just ponder that for a moment, please, before continuing.

I for one do not have a crystal ball that allows knowing in advance when one will be needed. Niether did the Von Maur employees on December 5, 2007 here at the Westroads Mall in Omaha. Nor did the Virginia Tech students or faculty, nor the Columbine kids or teachers. The thousands of shooting/stabbing/beating to death victims over the years, well, likely none of them knew when they'd need a gun to possibly even the odds or at least have a chance to save thier life that day. Consider now those victims at whatever post office (gun free zone) was shot up giving us the expression "going postal". Nobody knows. Because you didn't have a fire in the house yesterday, last week or ever, doesn't mean you should not have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. After all, if nobody heard the smoke detector any given day does that mean you shouldn't have them available day in and day out?

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that this has to be explained. Doesn't mean I don't respect you, i do. The above is only my collection of opinions, and I will defend your right to have yours. You have a right to obey any and all laws regardless of someone elses opinion of those laws, although I'd think your desire to defend liberty would rise above sheepdom. After all, Hitler made a bunch of laws and well, lots of good folks followed them thinking that following laws must be the thing to do at all times. Oh, and he gave great speeches to, and with no teleprompter! No problem, I simply don't agree that a law is just only because it is a law. As for me, our founding documents trump any modern day law that infringes against the rights given to us in those documents.

I originally was a "gun rights" nut but now realize our Bill of Rights is what is being shredded, not just the Second Amendment. It saddens me when a person might believe they are a freedom minded person and yet does not look past a sign on the door. Nothing against you, I just hate the idea of the anti's (anti gun, anti freedom) can lead someone by the nose, a someone who values the idea of growing our freedom back to what it was intended. You do value freedom and liberty both for other folks at home and for you and your coworkers at work don't you? I believe you do, but perhaps not to the extent others might, would that be correct then?

I hope you have a great night and a good tomorrow!

I carry a gun, spare mag, back up gun, knife, flashlight, and cell phone, and my medication. I have been carrying a knife with me since I was 10 years old.

I usually carry my gun, a single spare magazine, a flashlight, my Swiss Army Knife (Old School!) and a 3" tactical folding knife.

Why two knives? Because I cannot open the blade on my Swiss Army Knife one handed. The single blade knife is for self defense in close quarters when I cannot access or carry a gun.

I am a doctor in a military hospital stateside, subject to search and the orders of my superiors not to carry a personal weapon onto the base.

This is probably going to make some of you out there a little angry but its my opinion. Unless you are a cop, a wannabe cop, or a mall ninja, you do not need to carry around a flashlight, pocketknife, spare mags, and who knows what else. A concealed carry license gives you the right to carry a concealed handgun and it doesnt make you a cop, so dont try to make yourself think you are.

This is probably going to make some of you out there a little angry but its my opinion. Unless you are a cop, a wannabe cop, or a mall ninja, you do not need to carry around a flashlight, pocketknife, spare mags, and who knows what else. A concealed carry license gives you the right to carry a concealed handgun and it doesn't make you a cop, so don't try to make yourself think you are.

I completely disagree, and I don't even carry any of that stuff! Its not about being a wannabe cop, its about being prepared for anything. Sure, some people out there are wannabes and do the whole utility belt thing, but i think most people here wouldn't fall under that heading.

Pocketknives are probably the most common thing in someones pocket after keys, phone, and wallet. I dont generally carry a knife, but i can see how the more you carry one, the more uses you can find for it. (think about the movie 127 Hours, that guys knife came in REAL handy.)

Flashlight i don't really see the point for an EDC, but i think thats more of a MacGyver thing than a "mall ninja" thing.

And a spare mag? If you have a problem with carrying a spare mag, why don't you have a problem carrying the first mag in the gun? or the gun? Its preparedness. I know its not necessary, but i don't think any less of someone for carrying them. I try to carry an extra one, but most of the time I don't.

I completely disagree, and I don't even carry any of that stuff! Its not about being a wannabe cop, its about being prepared for anything. Sure, some people out there are wannabes and do the whole utility belt thing, but i think most people here wouldn't fall under that heading.

Pocketknives are probably the most common thing in someones pocket after keys, phone, and wallet. I dont generally carry a knife, but i can see how the more you carry one, the more uses you can find for it. (think about the movie 127 Hours, that guys knife came in REAL handy.)

Flashlight i don't really see the point for an EDC, but i think thats more of a MacGyver thing than a "mall ninja" thing.

And a spare mag? If you have a problem with carrying a spare mag, why don't you have a problem carrying the first mag in the gun? or the gun? Its preparedness. I know its not necessary, but i don't think any less of someone for carrying them. I try to carry an extra one, but most of the time I don't.

If you need anything more than just your gun and the mag in it, then you are in a situation that you shouldn't stick around for. Like I said earlier, if you need more than one mag, then you must be in a war zone, and if you are in a war zone, you need a rifle.

I have a question for all of you that dont casre about signs or policies at work and say that you would carry anyway.

The building that I work in is in the inner city and nowhere near what I would call a "good neighborhood". The policy is, of course, no guns at work. Now, this past summer, we gained a new tenant in the rear of our building. It happens to be a new school of the arts. I haven't measured yet, but even the parking lot may that I use across the street may not be far enough from the school for me to leave the gun locked in the car.

The question is.... Would you ignore the workplace policies in this case?

The question is.... Would you ignore the workplace policies in this case?

What is your state of residence OCY? And do you have a carry permit?Perhaps we can then answer the question.

Since you have a CT permit being within 1000 feet of a school zone is no problem per the BATFE.You could be on foot right up to the edge of the school property.

I jog 4 miles every day and run right past 2 schools carrying.Only when you go to another state and do not have that states CCW does being within a 1000 foot GFVZ become problematic.

Its silly but that is the BATFE take on the matter.Even that is open to challenge since the SCOTUS 1995 Lopez decision.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

Leave the gun locked in the car.Forget the measurements.

This is probably going to make some of you out there a little angry but its my opinion. Unless you are a cop, a wannabe cop, or a mall ninja, you do not need to carry around a flashlight, pocketknife, spare mags, and who knows what else. A concealed carry license gives you the right to carry a concealed handgun and it doesnt make you a cop, so dont try to make yourself think you are.

You are wrong. I use my flashlight every day. I am retired, so not work related. I am not a cop, a wannabe cop, or a mall ninja, and I find my flashlight to be a useful tool, if you don't, don't carry one, likewise, a pocket knife, and since magazines are the cause of most semi auto problems, it makes sense to carry a spare and save your insulting characterizations and condescension for your self.

opencarryyes Is the school of the arts a public school? If it is a private business, the rules governing firearms in school zones probably does not apply.

a belt buckle that's a 30 year old single edged Bowen Survivor ( Bowen Knife Company if you're not familiar).
The Bowen Belt Knife is not a good choice for someone also carrying a holstered weapon. if the knife is holding the belt together around your waist, and you remove the buckle, the holster falls off, or your pants fall down. It wouldn't be legal in many states. You can't fly with it. You can't go to the court house with it. There are just too many restrictions to be effective.

Its a public magnet school

So go to Plan B.Gun locked up in car in parking lot.The GFVZ rules apply.

For almost 20 years my gun was locked in my vehicle across the street from my Government employer who did not allow firearms anywhere on city property including the employee parking lot by city employees.

And I had a CCW all that time. That did not matter,it was in the City handbook and zero tolerance was in effect.One strike and you were gone,no appeal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back