Rethinking The Bat belt

Treo

Bullet Proof
I have been giving some thought to my “EDC Load out” recently and have decided to cut it down.

I don’t carry a whole lot anyway (Pistol, spare magazine, multitool, flash light, and pocket knife) and the only thing I’m dropping right now is the flashlight. I have carried it for 5 years and actually used it (outside of work where it is a requirement and I will continue to carry it) one time. I am also considering dropping the pocket knife because I can’t remember that last time I used it and I certainly can’t remember at time where I’ve used the knife that I couldn’t have used the knife on my multi tool just as well.

So my question is how often (if ever) do you rethink what you carry everyday?

When I first started carrying a gun I lived in a bad part of town and had to walk to and from work late at night I actually was the victim of an attempted mugging (key word being attempted) that I stopped because I was armed. For the last 4 years I have been working security (on and of w/ college and trying to get into the medical field) again bad parts of town, late nights and, of course, job requirements to carry certain items at work.

Now my job and therefore my needs have changed. I work days, I’m never out after dark ( I get up at 0345 and am generally asleep by 9pm) I am not allowed to carry a gun at work (wouldn’t want to anyway) and I rarely drive to work so I don’t have a car to leave mine in. So I’m rethinking what I need to carry and getting rid of the items I find useless.

IMO carrying a bunch of crap that you really don’t need is the definition of a mall ninja

In regard to dropping the pocket knife from your EDC, I'd just like to say that I carry mine everytime I leave the house in case I'd need it for my or someone elses seat belt, post accident. Could be other reasons some would come up with also. I dunno, going without a knife kinda makes me feel less prepared.

I will leave the idea of not needing a gun during the day, and also the idea of not wanting to carry at work for others to take apart. I'll just watch...

OK, I'll start it after all! "Mall ninja" in regard to crap ya wouldn't need. Here in Omaha, NE, at the Westroads mall is a store called Von Mauer where a teenager with a rifle went on a six-plus minute shooting rampage in December 5 of 2007 killing at will throughout the store before finally killing himself. I wrote a three page hand out about the "no guns" policy that existed at the time and other facets of the shooting that day, and am still handing them out. One central idea idea is the blood that is on the hands of the mall and store ownership/management due to the no guns policy. ...It was during the day. So was the Lubby's shooting in Texas. So was the Virginia Tech shooting as well as the colorado church shooting. "Going postal" comes from a post office daytime shooting from somewhere, forget where tho.

I hope if nothing else I've provided some food for thought as that is my intent here and not to throttle anyone. I do actually care about all the folks here, even those with sharper "tonges", er, keyboard fingers here, and believe that training and being ready at all times (staying in condition yellow) can never be a bad idea. After all, if the saying "any gun will do if you will" is meaningful to a person, then that person would have to know that having a gun is a must do. Violence does not carry a watch nor does it wait for the moon. I hope you reconsider. If not, that's ok, it's your cup of tea.

Be well and stay safe.

and I rarely drive to work so I don’t have a car to leave mine in

How do you get to work and back w/o the car and how far is the distance? Also what type of environment do you traverse?
That info will help with our suggestions.

Funny. You're gearing down while I'm gearing up. My EDC knife, pistol and soon-to-be flashlight are all but indispensable now. I use the knife on a constant basis for the smallest things, and if I ever need it for the big things I'm used to retrieving and using it on a regular basis. Just this morning I muttered under my breath, "I wish I bought that flashlight already" as I fumbled with trying to use my cell phone as a makeshift flashlight.

At the end of the day, you're the one who has to carry all the gear, so the choice is yours. Now that I have the legal right to carry I consider it my obligation to carry.

I'd throw my lot in with "NutnFancy" on this idea: nutnfancy's Channel - YouTube

I allays carry a knife with me and someone is always asking if they can use it I prefer a smaller sharp knife over the bulk and weight of a multi tool but that's what works fine for me in my situations.

I will leave the idea of not needing a gun during the day, and also the idea of not wanting to carry at work for others to take apart. I'll just watch...

Did you catch the part where I'm not allowed to carry a gun at work?

How do you get to work and back w/o the car and how far is the distance? Also what type of environment do you traverse?
That info will help with our suggestions.

I seem to have been asked that question before in another place. hmmmm? The wife drives me to and from it's about 9 miles one way (I hope to be biking it soon) as for the environment I'm not sure what you mean. I don't believe in "Good" neighborhoods.

For clarification I am currently working as a licensed security guard. Having a city license means I am bound by certain city ordinances. One of them is that I may not legally carry a firearm unless I have my firearms certification ( License endorsement) and am assigned to an armed site. The insurance rider is different for an armed guard and being caught armed on an unarmed site would be grounds for instant dismissal, the company would have no choice.They would have to fire me. I’d lose my security license ( and my means of feeding my family) and very likely my CHP.

Given the location I'm at the risk of being caught far out weighs the likelyhood that I'll ever need a gun

The "gun at work" thing varies for everyone. Some years ago, when my employer (large municipal utility) went totally batshit anti-weapon (I said "weapon" because they wrote their policy so poorly that anything which could be used as a weapon was prohibited) nuts, some female employees complained that they rode the ferry to work, then walked from the waterfront through a questionable neighborhood to get to the building where they worked; the prohibition of guns on City property robbed them of their right to carry a defensive arm while commuting. I don't recall how much legal action it took, but the employer had to back off and provide lockers in the building to store their guns during the work day. I'm just thinking there MAY be a similar option for you. You DO have the right to be armed going to and from work.

I use flashlights at work - a lot - mostly for inspection, but I'm the guy who has to restore the plant if we're put in the black. I carry a handy little 4Sevens Preon2 next to the pen in my shirt pocket. I carry a SureFire G2X on the "magazine pocket" of my 5.11 pants. (This is because I lost my 6Z Combatlight in 2006, then Kathleen lost our Z2 Combatlight in 2010, so we decided the G2X is more affordable. Two lights is probably not a necessity (I have carried three or more), but a "tactical level" light (60 lumens or more IIRC) can be a useful defensive tool.

I use the Leatherman WAVE (with the 20 bit accessory pack) on my belt a LOT; it's on its 3rd sheath. The mini-Leatherman in my LF pocket may not be necessary, but there are times when I want pliers and screwdriver both at once. When dressing up, I have sometimes left the big Leatherman in the car and taken only the mini. I have also left in the car or my jacket, the 4" Crescent normally in my LF pocket.

It may be overkill to have the Al Mar SERE2000 in RF pocket, two Leatherman tools, Ed Caffrey EBK I in neck sheath and a belt buckle that's a 30 year old single edged Bowen Survivor ( Bowen Knife Company if you're not familiar). But I consider some sort of knife to be essential. I find I cannot go a day without using a blade multiple times. I don't think anyone gets through a day without using knife - unless he has another doing his food preparation & chores for him.

There's always one or two butane lighters in LF pocket. I don't smoke, but I put knife and source of fire ahead of even gun and flashlight as survival essentials.

I like having a pen and something I can write on (business cards will do), and a pen is a tool of my job. The tiny EZE-LAP diamond sharpener in LF pocket is not essential, but I like to take care of my knives - including the EBK I that I used an hour and a half ago to cut the pork chop I fried for lunch.

I see it this way:

At least one knife and a source of fire is absolutely essential to survival in an emergency.

Flashlight and gun are to be carried if at all possible.

You don't need as many tools as I carry. I carry them because I find them all very useful. (I find my digital camera and my cell phone camera useful, though they are not essentials.) But you need the minimum.

Many would add a bit of paracord to my normal EDC. Maybe in the future... But I do have more gear in my vehicle.

I believe sincerely that it is the Right and the Responsibility of every free man to be "at all times armed" (as Jefferson put it).

Even if it's only a little penknife and a book of matches, don't give up the blade and source of fire. Someday you may need it.

I don't believe in "Good" neighborhoods.

You don't live in Miami! :biggrin:

Besides the 'hood factor, I was also thinking about the terrain and the weather.

Since your DW drives you back and forth the amount of gear seems to be a negligible factor.Like in a trail walk day trip the less the better.

Once off work,I'd hang onto the knife and the flashlight.And don't forget your gun and an extra mag or speedloader! :laugh:

Seriously that's all I carry on these mean streets here day or night.Being an overloaded pack mule like a lotta my cop friends is no picnic and might make matters worse if a balloon ever goes up.Leaner is better.Just make sure that the main tool is cool.

Once you start hiking the 9 miles the scenario completely changes so at that point I would go back to my original 'environment' question.

With my SoFla mindset that 18 mile RT distance daily without a firearm would be quite problematic,possibly impossible. But that is just me.
And knowing you as well as I think I do,your common sense will carry you through.

Your president, state and local authorties are responsible for any deaths that occure because you cannot protect yourself.

There was a mall shooting in tacoma Washington also. My friend worked at Spencer's at the time and was pretty messed up over it for a while. Just another one of the many reasons to always carry ( not you and your work situation, just in general )

Your president, state and local authorties are responsible for any deaths that occur because you cannot protect yourself.

I can't gear-down any further w/o leaving my pistol at home. It's the only thing I carry with regards to self-defense.

B2Tall:226668 said:
I can't gear-down any further w/o leaving my pistol at home. It's the only thing I carry with regards to self-defense.

Same with me. Only carry a flashlight on me when I know I'll be out at night. Other wise it stays at home or in the car. Same with a multi tool. I do however have this on my keychain, as it is more applicable for my needs. http://www.chiefsupply.com/4311-Task-Force-Tips-Res-Q-Me-Tool.aspx

Gun, mags, knife, keys, wallet.
No light unless I am out at night. I keep a high lumens flash light in each car. Toss it in my pocket if I am out at night. My key chain has a screwdriver on it.
But I NEVER leave home without my knife. There are just too many uses for it. I don't carry a small pocket knife any more. I carry a CRKT. It is a little bigger than my old Buck Muskrat. I can't carry a weapon with my at work either. Funny though, nobody thinks about what I can do with a knife.

1- Diskarmor (Works even better after a "Power-up")
2- Grappling Hook
3- Zip Line pulley
4- Crossbow
5- Shield
6- Healing Potion
7- Suit of Armor
8- Bag pipes

Even though you're poking fun at some people that I like on this site (quite a few, actually), I can't stop laughing. I'm literally wiping my eyes in between keystrokes! :laugh:

Did you catch the part where I'm not allowed to carry a gun at work?

So? You will find a good number of us out here, by the millions, ignore signs that dictate a managers feeling, or the direction of a law that forbids us to be more able to defend ourselves. In my kids school, at the post office, church, bank, court house (before they installed metal detectors) I may or may not have carried. "May or may not have", as this is a public forum ya know... Anyway, I read your post including the part about "not being allowed", and I say to that: tough titties, I'd carry anyway and I do. After all, if you consider the idea that one trains to draw only when one's life is threatened then nobody will ever know. If people around you do end up knowing you carried in a non-carry area then at least you WILL BE ALIVE to be prosecuted. I'll take a large latte and a 'duh' to go.

Gun, mags, knife, keys, wallet.
No light unless I am out at night. I keep a high lumens flash light in each car. Toss it in my pocket if I am out at night. My key chain has a screwdriver on it.
But I NEVER leave home without my knife. There are just too many uses for it. I don't carry a small pocket knife any more. I carry a CRKT. It is a little bigger than my old Buck Muskrat. I can't carry a weapon with my at work either. Funny though, nobody thinks about what I can do with a knife.

...Unless someone has a gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back