Results: Parkarize job by RedHat

Danno

I am SO happy with the FANTASTIC job that Red Hat did on my old 1911 .45 - It was my Dad's gun, and the blue finish was getting pretty bad in places.

I had the pleasure of spending yesterday afternoon with Red Hat, and was absolutely amazed at the transformation!

Take a look at the process, and finished product here.

A HUGE thanks again to RedHat - you're a stand up guy, and I hope this is a beginning of a long friendship!

:D

Wow that came out great. I brought home an old 410 crack barrel shotgun that was mine when I was younger this past Christmas and want to restore it. Red Hat, is this something you do as a service or what?

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed doing it and enjoyed Danno's company. Luke, it's just a hobby now, however if you are ever in the Upstate area let me know and we'll knock it out. :biggrin:

Cool, I was thinking of trying it myself with a kit from Birtchwood but you look like you've got a nice setup!

If you can get it bead blasted then the rest is easy. Just mix your chemicals, heat it to 170 to 185 add some steel wool for 30 minutes then put the parts in the solution. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse. Dry the parts and soak them in oil and put it back together.

If you have an air compressor you can get a hand held bead blaster for $10. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I get my chemicals from Link Removed You don't need a degreaser or neutralizer. Acetone works fine as a degreaser and the water rinse and oil neutralizes the parts. A stainless steel tank is a must. The chemical is concentrated and you mix it 4 to 1. A 16 oz bottle of Lauer Zinc Phosphate Parkerizing Solution will make 80 oz and is under $7. I always strip the bluing before bead blasting so I recommend a bluing remover.

Last edited:
If you can get it bead blasted then the rest is easy. Just mix your chemicals, heat it to 170 to 185 add some steel wool for 30 minutes then put the parts in the solution. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse. Dry the parts and soak them in oil and put it back together.

If you have an air compressor you can get a hand held bead blaster for $10. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Awesome, I have a compressor in the garage we picked up when we built a deck in the back yard last year.

One thing I forgot to mention, don't touch any of the metal parts with your bare fingers after bead blasting. If you do degrease it with acetone before you put it in the solution. Failing to do so will leave nice fingerprints in the parkerizing. :angry::biggrin:

One thing I forgot to mention, don't touch any of the metal parts with your bare fingers after bead blasting. If you do degrease it with acetone before you put it in the solution. Failing to do so will leave nice fingerprints in the parkerizing. :angry::biggrin:

Thanks for the heads up.

I just ordered the Blast Gun. I'll probably have some more questions before I start.

Nice!

Nice Job Red Hat! Thanks for posting Dano. The wife and I were considering Greenville as possible new domicile in the next few yrs. Perhaps we will one day cross paths.

Now that is nice. Not only did you get a nice looking gun out of it you got a good friend too. And you can never have to many guns or friends.

Well, I took it out shooting Saturday afternoon. It shot like a dream! I know it functionally didn't change, but I swear it was like shooting a brand new gun! Put about 125 rnds through it, and not one FTF or FTE. Cleaned it up afterwards, and it still looks great!!!
:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back