Resident -> Non-Resident

vbilly

First post to the forums. Looks to be a great community and I can't wait to start hanging out here. Hopefully I can help others as much as I am hoping you guys can help me.

I am currently a resident, and my current CCW doesn't expire until the end of 2011.

Within the next 6 months or so I will probably be moving out of state, but will be coming back to visit family frequently.

I will of course want to be able to legally carry on my visits. NV doesn't honor the CCW of the state I will be moving to (ID) so I will need a non-res permit for NV.

Here's the question, can I trade in my Res CCW for a Non-Res CCW that has the same expiration, or will I need to forfeit my Res CCW and go through the process of getting a Non-Res CCW as if I never had one, or maybe even something completely different?

Thanks for any input you can give, I know it's a bit of an odd one.

Thanks!

You'll be lucky if the state can figure out that one :dance3:

Seriously, I have no idea but it is a really good question. Here in Florida my understanding is there is only one permit and whether it is considered resident or non-resident is determined by where you live. Does Nevada have two completely different permits?

In any case welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

snip
I am currently a [Nevada] resident, and my current CCW doesn't expire until the end of 2011.

Within the next 6 months or so I will probably be moving out of state, but will be coming back to visit family frequently.

I will of course want to be able to legally carry on my visits. NV doesn't honor the CCW of the state I will be moving to (ID) so I will need a non-res permit for NV.

Here's the question, can I trade in my Res CCW for a Non-Res CCW that has the same expiration, or will I need to forfeit my Res CCW and go through the process of getting a Non-Res CCW as if I never had one, or maybe even something completely different?

Thanks!

Do you intend to get a Idaho DL, voter card, etc? Sure you do. But does Nevada require you to turn your CCW in when you leave the state? Idaho will collect and return your DL when you switch,...
Does your current resident CCW require that your address be updated within some number of days or that you surrender the license when you move?
The only answer is for you to call the Nevada issuing authority and ask.

Yeah I figure I will call NV after the holidays. I am on vacation and have been thinking a lot about the move and thought I would see if anyone else had first hand experience with this.

Good news on the ID DL. That sounds like a pretty easy switch at least :)

Moving is always such a project but I do look forward to the ID gun laws. I really don't like the firearms registration that Clark County in NV does so it will be nice to be away from that.

Your local sheriff should be able to provide you with what it will take to convert resident to non-resident.

Why is it that everyone is making this much more difficult than it is.

File the change of address with the issuing county sheriff. *POOF* Instant non-resident NV CFP once it's put into the Nevada Criminal Repository; residents and non-residents are treated the same with respect to permit term.

It's the same as Florida and Utah.

Now repeat after me.

1. File change of address with issuing jurisdiction.
  2. *POOF*
  3. Instant non-resident license or permit.

When you go to renew as a non-resident you will have the option of picking what county you want to renew with and who you wish to train with. Be sure to have the sheriff you renew with note that you have an existing NV CFP from this county so you are charged a renewal and not initial permit fees. They can pull up in the NV Criminal Repository if you need have a current CFP and if it is valid and which county issued it.

Until your current NV CFP expires you will have to deal with the issuing sheriff for any changes to that CFP for the remainder of that permit term. This includes adding authorized firearms and address or name changes. You are required by statute to notify the issuing sheriff within 30 days of any change of address.

LVMPD will not mail you a new Nevada CFP for just a change of address. They didn't with mine with I moved in the middle of a permit term. They won't send you an updated CFP unless you change what firearms you've qualified with it as you're required to do that in person which requires you to take another picture and have a new CFP made. You can do change of address notifications via FAX or US mail. Florida and Utah will accept online change of address notifications.

First post to the forums. Looks to be a great community and I can't wait to start hanging out here. Hopefully I can help others as much as I am hoping you guys can help me.

I am currently a resident, and my current CCW doesn't expire until the end of 2011.

Thanks!

Legally, you are required to report any change of address to the issuing county. If Nevada recognizes the state you move to, I see no problem completing the term of the license. The training is the same and the terms of the permit is the same. If you move to a state that is not recognized by Nevada, then you are SOL!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back