Res Permits Only

fgreen04

I'm trying to figure out what that term means. I was looking at my map for TN, and I see all the states that DO and DON'T accept my TN permit. But what does it mean when it says the state "TN Res Permits Only?"

It means they will not honor it if you are from another state than TN they will not honor your TN permit. You have to reside in TN

I'm trying to figure out what that term means. I was looking at my map for TN, and I see all the states that DO and DON'T accept my TN permit. But what does it mean when it says the state "TN Res Permits Only?"
Means if you live in TN but you only have a NON-RESIDENT permit from Florida, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or any of the other state that will issue non-resident permit to you , then the permit is NO GOOD.

States that accepts RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY mean your permit MUST be from the state YOU RESIDE IN.

If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee does not even issue nonresident permits, so this issue is a moot point as far as TN is concerned. Nevertheless, what this means is that a particular state will only honor a state's permit if the permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.

Means if you live in TN but you only have a NON-RESIDENT permit from Florida, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or any of the other state that will issue non-resident permit to you , then the permit is NO GOOD.

States that accepts RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY mean your permit MUST be from the state YOU RESIDE IN.

Does MA issue non-resident permits? If so, what is the process and cost?

Most of my family lives in MA and I find myself there a few times per year. As of now, I go unarmed, but I would like to change that.

Does MA issue non-resident permits? If so, what is the process and cost?

Most of my family lives in MA and I find myself there a few times per year. As of now, I go unarmed, but I would like to change that.

Yes, MA does issue nonresident permits. You would apply for a Class A license; ironically, from what I have heard, nonresidents often find it easier to get an unrestricted Class A license than residents do. Capo2186 is from MA and he would be a good person to talk to about the whole process. Maybe you could send him a PM.

Last edited:
Yes, MA does issue nonresident permits. You would apply for a Class A license; ironically, from what I have heard, nonresidents often find it easier to get an unrestricted Class A license than residents do. Capo2186 is from MA and he would be a good person to talk to about the whole process. Maybe you could send him a PM.

Link Removed

I have heard from people that it is an easier process than being a resident here. When you apply for a non-resident, you apply directly to the Firearms Bureau, where as residents have to first have the approval of their local PD. The denial rate and the restriction rate (if any) are less for non-residents. Apply for the Class A LTC ALP. Always aim for the gold. Non-resident permits are good for 1 year and cost $100. Best of luck!

Link Removed

I have heard from people that it is an easier process than being a resident here. When you apply for a non-resident, you apply directly to the Firearms Bureau, where as residents have to first have the approval of their local PD. The denial rate and the restriction rate (if any) are less for non-residents. Apply for the Class A LTC ALP. Always aim for the gold. Non-resident permits are good for 1 year and cost $100. Best of luck!

What is the cost of renewal after the first year?

$100 is a little high for someone that will only be in the state for 5-10 days a year.

Would there be any other benifit to having a MA non-resident permit? Are there any other states that honor that permit that don't already honor my NC permit?

The funny thing is, a few years ago I talked my Dad (who lives in Walpole, MA) into getting his permit. Now he has a MA Class A "All Lawfull Purposes" LTC, but does not even own a handgun. Go figure.

The funny thing is, a few years ago I talked my Dad (who lives in Walpole, MA) into getting his permit. Now he has a MA Class A "All Lawfull Purposes" LTC, but does not even own a handgun. Go figure.

He is a lucky man because getting your Class A LTC ALP here in mass is not a easy process.

The fee is $100 per year. The renewal is also $100 (im 98%). If you are going to only be here 5 -10 days per year it might not be worth it then.

What is the cost of renewal after the first year?

$100 is a little high for someone that will only be in the state for 5-10 days a year.

Would there be any other benifit to having a MA non-resident permit? Are there any other states that honor that permit that don't already honor my NC permit?

Sorry but thats the way it is, Mass is all about the money

$100 per year, and $100 every year after ( you have to re-apply yearly just like it was a new app. )

Sorry but thats the way it is, Mass is all about the money

$100 per year, and $100 every year after ( you have to re-apply yearly just like it was a new app. )

I understand, but would there be any other benifit to having a MA non-resident permit?

Other than MA, what states honor a non-resident MA permit?

1: You can not carry in MA without a MA permit

What was the point in posting that? I think we all know that it is illegal to carry without a permit.

2: Many states recognises non-resident permits, list can be found on the resource page of this site

I have seen the map, I was only asking if anyone knew of any other advantages to having a non-resident from MA.

I am sure you were just tring to help, IMO it just came out wrong.

What was the point in posting that? I think we all know that it is illegal to carry without a permit.

I have seen the map, I was only asking if anyone knew of any other advantages to having a non-resident from MA.

I am sure you were just tring to help, IMO it just came out wrong.

Since MA does not have reciprocity with any other states, the only advantage it offers is that it allows people who don't reside in MA to carry there. Also, it will allow you to carry in states that honor permits from all other states (except for MI, which only recognizes resident permits).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back