Reloading.

JC40

I am starting to check out supplies for reloading.Is it better to buy the items seperately or get the starter sets?The reason i ask is because sometimes the things you get with a starter set usually aren`t as good as the higher quality items and end up being replaced anyways.I know i want a multi stage press and not a single stage.

Get a Lee Classic turret kit

I've been into reloading for about a year now and it’s a great hobby. I ordered a Lee Classic turret press kit, Dies, and a tumbler from cabela's. Came with everything I needed to get going. I think everything was $250 shipped to my door. It was well worth the money and still a lot cheaper then some of the other name brands. Only thing I've upgraded was the scale and that was just because I started loading 50 BMG. Need a scale that would weigh 200+ grains of powder.

One thing I like about the Turret press is changing from one cartage to another is a snap. I buy an extra turret with each set of dies. Once they are setup all you have to do is pop out one turret and replace with another of a different cal.

I don't have a multi stage, but I am very pleased with the Lee anniversary kit. I am sure there is better quality equipment out there, but I have no complaints about my Lee kit. I have loaded from a 40s&w up to a 300 weatherby magnum and never had the slightest problem. I think the Lee kits are defiantly worth the money. I just need some new dies. Midwayusa has good prices on the Lee equipment.

Lee is the way to go just starting out. Inexpensive and very good quality. I've been setting up my reloading stuff for a few days now. I packed it all away back in 86. So far everything is just like it was when I packed up, even the powder is good! I have three C&H progressive reloaders, a RCBS Rock Chucker, A Lee Turret and a pacific press. Not counting all my Shot Shell reloaders. Found all my bullet casting dies today, that reminds me I need to order some Gas Checks...anyway since the price of ammo is going up each month and the fact I miss reloading I decided to get back in it. Maybe, if there is enough interest, we can get Luke to set up a Reloading forum.

I'm a reloader as well. So far I'm strictly a .45 ACP reloader but will expand into others when I have more time to shoot and reload.

I use a RCBS Ammomaster progressive with a RCBS Rock Chucker with a bullet puller installed for the occassional oops or possible oops (sometimes I'll forget whether I checked the powder level in a particular case and to be safe I'll pull the bullet and check it).

When I get serious about reloading again I'm going to upgrade my progressive. Today I would be looking at either a Hornady Lock n load, a Dillon 650, or the RCBS Pro2000.

With the prices of ammo raising so much reloading is a real bargain and a lot of fun to boot.

Jc40

I have heard of the lee presses before because my brother used to have one years ago.I am not familiar with alot of the other brands as i am just into researching them and learning.I agree that the price of ammo is going up to the point where it is time to start reloading,not only to save money,but to be able to shoot more.It`s the one thing my son and i love to do and my daughter is even wanting to get involved so it will be a family thing,so i figure there are more rounds and i have a decent selection of different calibers so i think it`s definately time for reloading.

I ordered one of these last week and I'm impressed with the quality. All you need are dies, powder, bullets and primers to get going.

Link Removed

You can get extra turret plates for $9.19

Link Removed

Jc40

I ordered one of these last week and I'm impressed with the quality. All you need are dies, powder, bullets and primers to get going.

Link Removed

You can get extra turret plates for $9.19

Link Removed
Redhat,that`s not a bad price at all for the set up you purchased.For that price it`s easy to buy some extra accesories and still get a good deal.I may have to consider that if it is still the same price in a week or so.The car ate up my extra money with a new radaitor.Damn Murphy.

Jc40

KimberBP.Also a nice setup.I appeciate the info as it will help me to choose what options or accesories i will choose over and above the set i purchase.I certainly don`t want to spend a fortune,but don`t want garbage either.I also figure the better the accesories,the less time spent reloading and more time spent testing the loads.:D

Redhat,that`s not a bad price at all for the set up you purchased.For that price it`s easy to buy some extra accesories and still get a good deal.I may have to consider that if it is still the same price in a week or so.The car ate up my extra money with a new radaitor.Damn Murphy.
I noticed one drawback when playing with my press today. Link Removed With the 4 hole plate the holes are very close together and my standard die lock rings won't work with their plate. I tried RCBS, Pacific and C&H and none would work. Lyman uses a hex nut on their's and it works fine, plus they are the cheapest of all the die nuts. I guess I have to buy extra rings made by Lee or Lyman to get them to work. Either that or I'm going to turn them down on my lathe. Just a little heads-up.

Last edited:
I noticed one drawback when playing with my press today. Link Removed With the 4 hole plate the holes are very close together and my standard die lock rings won't work with their plate. I tried RCBS, Pacific, C&H and Lyman and none would work. I guess I have to buy extra rings made by Lee to get them to work. Either that or I'm going to turn them down on my lathe. Just a little heads-up.
You might try some of Link Removed.

Jc40

I noticed one drawback when playing with my press today. Link Removed With the 4 hole plate the holes are very close together and my standard die lock rings won't work with their plate. I tried RCBS, Pacific and C&H and none would work. Lyman uses a hex nut on their's and it works fine, plus they are the cheapest of all the die nuts. I guess I have to buy extra rings made by Lee or Lyman to get them to work. Either that or I'm going to turn them down on my lathe. Just a little heads-up.
I appreciate the heads up and all the info from everyone.It will definately help toward my decisions when purchasing my reloading equipment.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back