reloading Problem

Ga9mm

I've got a 4 stage Lee Turret press, and I had a bullet get stuck in the 4th die today. I was loading .45 Colt rounds, and it was the first one with a new box of bullets. They are .452 diameter. Everything up to the fourth stage was fine, but it won't come out of the fourth die now. It's got some movement, but I think something is hung somewhere. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any ideas?

I've got a 4 stage Lee Turret press, and I had a bullet get stuck in the 4th die today. I was loading .45 Colt rounds, and it was the first one with a new box of bullets. They are .452 diameter. Everything up to the fourth stage was fine, but it won't come out of the fourth die now. It's got some movement, but I think something is hung somewhere. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any ideas?

So it got stuck in the factory crimp die? Are you also using Lee dies? Have you used these Dies before?

I've loaded thousands of rounds on my lee turret press and never had an issue with the factory crimp die.

Yep - it's all Lee stuff. I've loaded about 200-250 with lead cast bullets in it without incident, save for two cases that got bent (I think that was an operator error). I just opened the box of bullets this morning to kill some time before work, and the first one hung in the crimp die.

I'd start buy measuring and making sure those new bullets are in spec. Then measure a resized case and make sure the sizing die is doing it's job. After you get that case out check and make sure you didn't get any lead build up from the lead rounds you loaded earlier.

At what stage did you bend the other cases? How heavy of a crimp are you putting on the rounds?

I bent the other cases on the first stage. I think it was my fault, not making sure they were all the way in the shell holder. It was too inconsistent and rare for there to be a problem, I would think.

Any suggestions on how to get the bullet out? I tried moving the arm back down, and couldn't do it. I was afraid to push down on it really hard, for fear of causing damage. I was able to turn the turret and get the bullet out of the shell holder, but it still didn't do anything for me.

I bent the other cases on the first stage. I think it was my fault, not making sure they were all the way in the shell holder. It was too inconsistent and rare for there to be a problem, I would think.

Any suggestions on how to get the bullet out? I tried moving the arm back down, and couldn't do it. I was afraid to push down on it really hard, for fear of causing damage. I was able to turn the turret and get the bullet out of the shell holder, but it still didn't do anything for me.

You should be able to unscrew the crimp adjuster and remove it. Backing it off some or removing it may free up the case. If not then you can try and slowly put more pressure on the arm. The worse that'll happen is it'll rip the rim off the case. You may want to take the priming ram rod out first. Just to make sure if it pops out quickly you don't come all the way down and slam the primer.

Just be careful because you basically have a live chambered round in your crimp die. I would also avoid trying to tap it out from the top. That'll just keep seating the bullet back.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I did take the priming rod out first, for that reason. It's a big bullet to accidentally hit the primer...

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I did take the priming rod out first, for that reason. It's a big bullet to accidentally hit the primer...

Let me know what happens. I'd be curious to know whats causing your issue.

When I get home I'll look at mine also and see if any other ideas pop into my head.

Good luck!

Hey guys I'm fIrly new here but not to guns. I'm humming of getting into
doing my own reloads, I have a 9mm sigma I just nought, and a
40 CAL. beretta vertec. How would you recomend me to go about
doing this?

Update...
I went from cast lead bullets to jacketed. My flare wasn't set to open the case enough, and when the new bullet didn't go into the casing enough, it crimped the case, and made a nice little ring all the way around it, which kept it from coming out of the die. After cutting it in half, it came out. Now I've got to reset everything, and I should be good to go.

Kimber - thanks for all your help!!

Update...
I went from cast lead bullets to jacketed. My flare wasn't set to open the case enough, and when the new bullet didn't go into the casing enough, it crimped the case, and made a nice little ring all the way around it, which kept it from coming out of the die. After cutting it in half, it came out. Now I've got to reset everything, and I should be good to go.

Kimber - thanks for all your help!!

Thanks for the update. I had wondered if a heavy crimp would have messed anything up. But figured it would have just rolled the case mouth in and not cause the case to bulge. Now we know.

What type of brass was it? I've had issues like that with Aguila brass. When I charge and flare the case it would crush causing a nice ring about half way down the brass. They never got stuck but I've stop reloading that brand.

Remington. I ran out of cast bullets and went to the new stuff I just got, and that's what did it. Before I do anything else, I need to adjust the flare a little bit to make it bigger.

Interesting that your ring happened that way, mine was in the same place, about halfway down.

KimberPB has the right idea.

I would recommend that next time you test your set up with unloaded, unprimed casings to find out where it is crimping before you add your bullets.

~ 25 years ago, my brother decided to alter my 44 magnum set up for 44 specials.
And I tried to crimp my 44 magnums which got it stuck and it was lead.
Crimp adjustment was jammed in there tight, hand to use a towel and pliers to unscrew.
The shell holder ripped the rim off the cartridge and had to tap the bullet out.
(Yes it was dangerous and I was sweating bullets - lol)

Although I am the only one in the house that relaods or has access to the equipment,
I always physically calibrate before making live rounds.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back