Reloading - Pistol Powder Question...

Frodo9MM

Hello -

I am new to the Forum here. Thank you to all that contribute. There is a wealth of information here.

I have a question: Its seems that pistol powder is hard to find right now in the Mid-Atlantic region.

I recently started reloading 9MM and have reloaded shotgun for about 25 years for Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays and I rely on Red Dot.

I understand the basic differences in powder, as presented in this link: Link Removed

Also, I have a couple of recipes for 9MM that use Red-Dot, like this one:

Bullet: 115 FMJ
Powder: Red-Dot
Charge: 4.5
Velocity: 1150
OAL: 1.12
Pressure: 32600

Has anyone used alternate powders for pistol, like Red-Dot or similar?

Thanks and Best Regards to All,
Frodo9

Get what ever powder you can get your hands on. Than check your reloading manual and start 10% below the amount of powder in the manual. You can also check the manufactures web site for the powder and they should of suggested loading. When I first starting reloading .40 the only powder I got find was Hodgon Clays. Lucky my loading manual had this powder so I was all set. (If your loading manual says 4.5 grains, I would start of with 4.0 grains. I always like to start off a bit lower than what the manual says and work my way up. I also like to cronograph the rounds to check on the velocity but that's just me)

Last edited:
Blue dot and imr 4756. There is load data for 9mm out there. Tried 4756 because it was all I could find. My 40 seems to like it alot.

Red Dot is fine, if you aren't trying for max loads.
For general 9x19 shooting, you'll be better off with powders from AA5 to Longshot, with Silhouette, True Blue, Power Pistol, HS6, and WSF being about the best.
Read your manuals again, review the loading data and note the powders called out.
If you need Red Dot loads, let me know.

Reloading 38 Special I have tryed the following shotgun powders lately:
20/28
e3
Clays
American Select
In the past I have used 700X, Herco, Red Dot, Blue Dot, SR4756.
I have some Promo and Rex1 on the shelf for my shotgun loader that I have not tryed in a handgun load.
The biggest complaint with most Flake shotgun powder is inconsistent charge weight when using an automatic measure. I ended up Zip Tieing a $6.00 Aquairium Bubbler to my powder measure tube on my Dillon 550B to cure this. The vibration worked just fine to keep the charge weight consistent. Another thing to keep in mind using shotgun powders is that they are normally pretty fast burning. This means that they work just fine for most practice/range ammunition, but are normally not the top choice for maximum velocity loads. So far I have not tryed any shotgun powder that I was not happy with the results. Some times Loading Data for handguns is almost non existent for the shotgun powder. Alliant e3 is a very good example of this. Do enough reading, and someone will have tryed it. It would be nice if Lyman's new reloading Maunal had a lot more Lead Bullet and Shotgun Powder reloading data like the older manuals did.
My main use handgun powder has been Unique for years in my match and practice ammunition. Using alternate powders has been a nice learning experiance. I may end up continueing to using some of them when things get back to normal.
Bob The Revolver Guy

Great idea on how to settle flake powders!

The biggest complaint with most Flake shotgun powder is inconsistent charge weight when using an automatic measure. I ended up Zip Tieing a $6.00 Aquairium Bubbler to my powder measure tube on my Dillon 550B to cure this. The vibration worked just fine to keep the charge weight consistent.

I agree on the lack of cast bullet loads.

It would be nice if Lyman's new reloading Maunal had a lot more Lead Bullet and Shotgun Powder reloading data like the older manuals did.

Bob The Revolver Guy

SR-4756 is a good powder, as is SR-7625.

When I could not find BullsEye or WW-231 I tried Power Pistol, SR7625, and 700x.

.380 - 700X with the Berry's 100GR HBRN has been working adequately. Accuracy is 10 for 10 on a 25 yard repair center at 25 yards with a sub-sub compact pistol (TCP) with a score in the mid 80's. SR7625 and Power Pistol did not work as well for me, but that was with Berry's 100gr RN, not the HBRN.

9mm - SR7625 with RMR 115 HP's have had the best accuracy for me in two subcompact pistols. Accuracy is 10 for 10 on a repair center, scoring in the low 90's, at 25 yards. Better than Power Pistol or HP-38. About equal to the best premium defensive ammo.

.45ACP - Power Pistol with the Berry's 200gr SWC has worked very well. Accuracy has been in the low-mid 90's on a 25 yard repair center at 25 yards with a compact pistol, better in a full size 1911.

Adding to the above :

45ACP with 185gr. Berry's Plated Flat Point and Power Pistol (about 10% below the Aliant listed maximum charge weight) worked well in my 1911 and CW45. The shorter CW45 barrel chronographed 10% below the 1911.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back