Reliable Source for MRE's

BC1

Considering the Ebola potential I'm thinking about buying 4 months of MRE's. Anyone have experience with the Wise company? What brands are recommended?

I have about a two month supply of Wise Foods freeze dried buckets, another month of assorted MRE side-items (not sure of brand) and another two months worth of sealed, dry rice and beans. I do enjoy having the Wise Foods buckets, they have a 20-25 year shelf life and all you need to eat it is hot water. So, make sure you have the means to heat water, heh. I have picked the buckets up from various local sources but, the MRE items were picked up from Cheaperthandirt when they went on sale. Along with Wise Foods, Mountain House is another pretty good brand, I've eaten a few of their freeze-dried items while hiking and was pleased.

I've told the wife we really need to buy 30 days supply of MRE's. CAL content for two would last us the same time. Hell, could afford to loose a little weight. BUT, from what I've been seeing, shelf life dates are not going out 5-7 years. Hard to spend the money if I may only get a few years.
Even thought of vacuum packing in MVP (MIL-SPEC) paper with desiccant service. Box it and put it away. But again, cost verse probably verses paranoia. But I'd sooner have and never need then desperately need and not have. Gee, just what I say about OC/CC.
Well then......

I like smokin' hot spiced beef jerky. MREs, not so much. Tried some from some vendors, and was turned-off by the taste. It was that bad. Thanks for some suggestions to try!

I like smokin' hot spiced beef jerky. MREs, not so much. Tried some from some vendors, and was turned-off by the taste. It was that bad. Thanks for some suggestions to try!

I make some smokin' hot beef jerky, but hardly anybody can eat it. My hubby keeps asking me to make something milder. lol

The Army soldiers are taking the MRE's and selling them to Army Surplus stores you might start there, I have about two or so months and them from when I was in and have a lot of rice.

You're not using enough hot sauce, r1der.
And that is why it is in every MRE pack. But some of them were not bad even as far back as the early 90s. 7 year lifespan is due to them being wet food. Now square eggs, those require the sauce just because of the color. A month of chow every day for breakfast and dinner from a mobile Army kitchen unit was enough to remind me why you don't eat Army food without it.

Walmart sell's the individual bag's of Mountain House, So you can at least try some before ordering

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back