reliable info?

PistolPony

I'm new to the world of firearms and am very interested in learning as much as I can. Seeing as I live in New Jersey, going out and buying a gun is problematic. I do plan on moving to a much more gun-friendly state in the near future. I'd like to be as knowledgable as I can be at that point about conceal carry and using firearms for self defense. What are some reliable places to read and learn about guns (ie how to use them, what makes them different from each other, which is best for what situation, etc.) Maybe some videos too? Just looking for some good sources before I get the chance to be more hands on. Thank you very much for any help and advice!

1st suggestion: hop a train to Virginia. I know a woman who is a firearm instructor in the Northern VA area.
2nd suggestion: never start with a snub nose or small conceal carry type pistol. They are much harder to handle.
3rd: Move to Texas! I'd be happy to teach your Concealed Handgun Class and more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Sign up for some NRA basic courses if possible. You can search for the various courses in your area at:
Link Removed
I'd recommend starting with the FIRST Steps and Basic Pistol Shooting courses, but I'm not sure how you'd manage that without your own pistol. That would be a question best answered by your local instructor.
If you can manage to ignore all the political talk (bickering) we do here, you can sometimes learn quite a bit. Just ask a question if you want. But a lot of the first teaching about firearms is best done face to face, and with an actual firearm or prop firearm (plastic ones).

a lot of the first teaching about firearms is best done face to face, and with an actual firearm or prop firearm (plastic ones).

My boyfriend, who got me interested in firearms, is a Marine so I have plenty of one on one training when needed. he's taken me out and taught me the basics and some things about cleaning, we both just lack time and money to be able to go to a range and practice. right now im just looking to learn some things on my own that don't necessarily involve anything hands on. when im ready and able to I will definitely take atleast one class.

I'd suggest some books and videos then, and as strange as it may sound, from a non-firearms source with a ratings system. The reason I say from a non-firearms source is because you'll get to see ratings from other non-firearms users like yourself. If you go somewhere that gun aficionados hang out, all of the ratings will be slanted towards old hands and will likely not be relevant to you. You need to find books and videos that are highly rated by beginners like yourself. I'd recommend Amazon, and actually read the reviews. Don't just look at the rating stars. Sometimes people will rate very low for reasons you don't care about. And on the other hand they'll sometimes refuse to rate low because they don't care about something you think is very important. So read the reviews. There are also some very good places out there specifically devoted to women defensive shooters, such as Cornered Cat (I assume defense is your priority since you're here). There's also The Well Armed Woman. There are others, but I don't remember the rest, or I'm not familiar enough to recommend them. Those sites also have selections of books and 'how to' oriented articles that should be of interest to you. At the very least they should get the brain juices flowing enough so you'll know what direction to go in next, or at least what questions to ask next anyway. Good luck.

I'm new to the world of firearms and am very interested in learning as much as I can. Seeing as I live in New Jersey, going out and buying a gun is problematic. I do plan on moving to a much more gun-friendly state in the near future.

Leaving the state would be very high on my to do list.

PistolPony,

I've known of several folks who have decided to live in PA and commute to NJ if that's where their jobs are just to enjoy the freedom of the 2nd Amendment. I'm not sure of your location if that is a possibility, but it is something to think about.

Also, Rhino gave some pretty good websites to look into. I also have to echo his first advice though, firearm usage is a hand's on activity. Therefore, it is best suited to do hand's on training... preferably with an instructor first. This way you can get some good dry fire exercises to get down (once you have your firearm).

I actually practice much more with dry fire drills than I do with live ammo to keep my skills sharp. Some of the dry fire techniques that I do are trigger control drills, drawing from the holster drills, sight acquisition drills, etc. You can do a search for these types of drills, but make sure that you are shown how to do them correctly or you will end up practicing bad habits.

I also love hockey season. I will sit and watch a hockey game with an unloaded firearm and try to keep my front sights on the moving puck on the screen.

Leaving the state would be very high on my to do list.
If you live your life entirely around a gun, of course. People can't just up and move. And who's to say in 15 years the gun laws won't change where she moves?

You could look into the laserlyte target system. The laserlyte pistol will not provide the recoil but will allow you to work on sight alignment and target aquisition.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

I also love hockey season. I will sit and watch a hockey game with an unloaded firearm and try to keep my front sights on the moving puck on the screen.
So if we see you in the TV section at Best Buy, we know you forgot to unload. :sarcastic:

Sign up for some NRA basic courses if possible. You can search for the various courses in your area at:
Link Removed
I'd recommend starting with the FIRST Steps and Basic Pistol Shooting courses, but I'm not sure how you'd manage that without your own pistol. That would be a question best answered by your local instructor.
If you can manage to ignore all the political talk (bickering) we do here, you can sometimes learn quite a bit. Just ask a question if you want. But a lot of the first teaching about firearms is best done face to face, and with an actual firearm or prop firearm (plastic ones).

As an aside-a lot of basic pistol instructors (including me) would rather provide the handguns for the course than have students bring them. It prevents many potential problems. In addition part of the course addresses selecting a handgun.

Excellent. That's even better. Though I assume at the end you'd show her how all that would apply to her particular firearm?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back