Registered In your name

sheashae

New to this
I bought a gun from my supervisor at work, but the gun was not in his name. I called the local sherriff department and they said in Louisiana it did not matter. I later called the State Police and they told me the same thing. I made the sherriff run the serial numbers on it to make sure it had nothing against it. Does anyone know for sure if I can still carry it.

Yes, you can. Most states do not have a gun registration requirement.

I bought a gun from my supervisor at work, but the gun was not in his name. I called the local sherriff department and they said in Louisiana it did not matter. I later called the State Police and they told me the same thing. I made the sherriff run the serial numbers on it to make sure it had nothing against it. Does anyone know for sure if I can still carry it.

I would go to a FFL dealer and sell it to him and buy it back. You could sell it for 1.00 and when he sells it back you would have a registered gun. I always want to have a handgun registered just to be safe..

Well I am glad to know that I can do that. If I have any problems with it I will make sure to do that.

Unless you live in one of the communist republics that require handgun registration, selling it to an FFL and buying it back won't do anything except put a sheet of paper in his filing cabinet and an entry in his logbook. Even when he calls in the background check, all the info they want is about YOU. The only question they ask about the gun is, "Handgun or Long gun?"

Unless you live in one of the communist republics that require handgun registration, selling it to an FFL and buying it back won't do anything except put a sheet of paper in his filing cabinet and an entry in his logbook. Even when he calls in the background check, all the info they want is about YOU. The only question they ask about the gun is, "Handgun or Long gun?"

And will cost $30-$50 to have this done. No info about the gun on the FFL paperwork unless the dealer adds it afterwards to have traceability on who they sold the gun to. But, that would be the extent of it, no federal agency would know anything about it.

I prefer to have guns that are not in my name. Big brother has no business knowing what I have or not.

Ther is NO WAY I'd 'voluntarily' register a gun. As others have said, one more way for big bro to monitor you. Here in MI it is law that the gun be registered, but I'd love to see that changed...

I would go to a FFL dealer and sell it to him and buy it back. You could sell it for 1.00 and when he sells it back you would have a registered gun. I always want to have a handgun registered just to be safe..

Why? Is registration required where you live?

Big waste of money. A 4473 is NOT gun registration. The 4473 does not even go to a government agency, it is kept at the dealer's place of business until the dealer goes out of business and then it is sent to a warehouse somewhere in a box and never looked at. All the 4473 does is provide proof that the dealer sold the gun to someone who was not ineligible to possess it, it provides no gun registration whatsoever.

I called the local sherriff department and they said in Louisiana it did not matter. I later called the State Police and they told me the same thing. I made the sherriff run the serial numbers on it to make sure it had nothing against it.

What the heck are y'all talking about this registration BS. As several have pointed out the 4473 just shows that the FFL followed the laws in selling the gun incase the BATF decides to audit him which they do quite often. That is all it does and if you don't want to believe the Sheriff and State Police then call the White House. I am sure they will provide the answer you want. :laugh: I think there are some states that require you to register your guns but evidently LA like SC is not among them. If he bought the gun legally, owned it legally and you are legal to own it then carry the dang thing. Otherwise get a baseball bat.

Sorry about the rant but it really irks me for someone to go ask the same questions over and over of different people until they finally get the answer they want. If you don't have enough faith in a person to accept their answer then don't waste their time asking them the question.

I prefer to have guns that are not in my name. Big brother has no business knowing what I have or not.

Serious thumbs up. The government doesn't know if I own a TV, computer, couch, hot tub, etc. Why would I want them to have information about my guns?

Ther is NO WAY I'd 'voluntarily' register a gun. As others have said, one more way for big bro to monitor you. Here in MI it is law that the gun be registered, but I'd love to see that changed...

+1.. I'd like my firearms "unregistered".. it's none of their business what I have.

Louisiana Firearm Registration/Transfer Forms

Louisiana law does not require the registration of handguns. However, the law requires the registration and transfer of a firearm. The following is the legal definition of firearm;

"Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition.

1.Application To Register As Firearms Dealer, Importer, Or Manufacturer
2.Application To Register Firearm - LA Revised Statutes, Title 40, Section 1783
3.Application To Transfer Firearm - LA Revised Statutes, Title 40, Section 1784 & 1787

Yes, you can. Most states do not have a gun registration requirement.

Any idea of which states do??
My CCW class instructor brought this point up to have the receipt for the gun you are carrying - just in case. forgot which state he was refering to.

tea51,

What's your point? That statute does not apply to regular firearms that 99% of the population would have.

California wants to know what you have. They also make you wait 10 days after purchese to pick up. They also keep trying (dead at present time) to make you do paperwork and fingerprint for any ammo purchesed. Support your pro 2A politicians at the voting booth because California seems to be the testing ground for stupid laws that then seem to migrate east.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back