RECOIL magazine...

Quiet

RECOIL magazine
It is billed as a "gun lifestyle" type magazine and is kinda like a mix of Wired magazine + Maxim magazine but with guns.

It is made by non-gun people (mostly car people), wanting to cash in on the "tactical" firearms industry, that like guns because they are cool due to their use by "operators" & their use in entertainment (video games/movies). But, won't hire gun people because they feel they know more about the industry than them.

It came out in 02-2012 and to date there have been four issues.

It may not last much longer due to a recent "foot in mouth" incident involving the editor of the magazine.

The most recent issue (Issue #4) has an article about the H&K MP-7A1 and the editor of RECOIL magazine makes the following statement:

Jerry Tsai said:
Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it. Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly.

That comment set off a firestorm on the magazine's Facebook account due to RECOIL magazine's support for firearms to be available to civilians only if it meets a "sporting purpose".

Today (09-10-2012), in response to all the negative comments and emails, the editor posted an "apology" about his statement over the H&K MP-7A1.

Jerry Tsai said:
I’d like to address the comments regarding what I wrote in the MP7A1 article in RECOIL issue 4. First and foremost, I’d like to apologize for any offense that I have caused with the article. With the benefit of hindsight, I now understand the outrage, and I am greatly saddened that it was initiated by my words. Especially since, I am an unwavering supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights. I’ve chosen to spend a significant part of both my personnel and professional life immersed in this enthusiasm, so to have my support of individuals’ rights called into doubt is extremely unfortunate. With that said, I retract what I wrote in the offending paragraph within this article. It should have had been presented with more clarity.

In the article, I stated some information that was passed on to me about why the gun is not available for civilian purchase. By no means did I intend to imply that civilians are not responsible, nor do we lack the judgment to own such weapons, if I believed anything approaching this, clearly I would lead a much different life. I also mentioned in the article that the gun had no sporting purpose. This again, was information passed on to me and reported in the article without the necessary additional context. I believe everything published in RECOIL up to this point (other than this story), demonstrates we clearly understand and completely agree that guns do not need to have a sporting purpose in order for them to be rightfully available to civilians. In retrospect, I should have presented this information in a clearer manner. Although I can understand the manufacturer’s stance on the subject, it doesn’t mean that I agree with it.

Again, I acknowledge the mistakes I made and for them I am truly sorry.

Sincerely,
Jerry Tsai
Editor
RECOIL

Even with this statement, advertisers have already started to pull their contracts with RECOIL magazine.

List of advertisers that have currently ended their contract:
  • Bravo Company Manufacturing
  • Silencerco
  • Magpul
  • Haley Strategic Partners
  • Imminent Tactical Solutions
  • Panteao Productions
Other companies have also pledged to either pull their contracts or not renew them.

Bravo Company Manufacturing official response...

Bravo Company USA said:
Over the weekend, a justifiable firestorm exploded over the comments of an editor of RECOIL magazine regarding firearms access and ownership in America. The BCM and Bravo Company USA teams share the outrage of the firearms community and will not support any organization that so directly opposes the core principles our company and country was built on.

"Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that's technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of."- Jerry Tsai, editor of RECOIL Magazine.

This statement echoes those of the extreme left wing, big government anti-gun zealots, who argue for magazine capacity restrictions, "assault" weapon bans, and the effective repeal of the 2nd Amendment. It also shows a very profound and fundamental misunderstanding of The Constitution, American history, absolute power, and human behavior.

The founding fathers made the right to keep and bear arms second only to the freedom of speech in the Bill of Rights. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Mason, Samuel Adams and so many others, labored tirelessly to create a new nation with laws free from the tyranny of the old country. A place where the government would represent the people, not repress them.

As Americans, we have the luxury of living in a developed society where we can develop ourselves through education and critical debate. We have a responsibility to question ideas and confront issues that we have a stake in as citizens of this nation, be that the rights of yourselves or the rights of others when threatened by the state. Firearms are, first and foremost, a tool to secure your life and the lives of others, against any aggressor.

The people at Bravo Company USA and BCM support responsible civilians having access to the same tools of Law Enforcement to effect the same ends. Securing and defending ourselves, our loved ones and innocent people if the situation arises.

As of this time, Bravo Company USA and BCM cannot continue it's support of the publication. We have asked the editors to suspend our web ads while we continue discussions with the management and staff about a satisfactory resolution to this situation.

As part of the first steps of making amends, Mr Tsai has issued a formal apology.

Magpul Industries official response...

Magpul Industries said:
Recently, the editor of RECOIL magazine wrote comments regarding who should and should not have access to certain firearms, as well as comments meant to clarify his initial statements. We at Magpul were severely disappointed in the apparent position of the author and by the comments themselves. We have been asked to provide a response to these comments and a statement regarding our intent to continue or discontinue advertising in RECOIL.

At Magpul we consider ourselves proponents of a culture of personal responsibility, where individual liberties are the true roots of our passion. Firearms are tools that can be an expression of those liberties, and more importantly, the guardians of them. When we were presented with the opportunity to support a new publication, called “RECOIL”, that had a different look and feel, we were on board. We had hopes that the broad appeal and fresh look of a publication of this type could be a big help in getting more people involved and interested in firearms and firearm freedoms issues. We welcome all who enjoy or appreciate firearms for any lawful purpose, as greater numbers strengthen our cause. We also want to partner with those who share our appreciation of the true struggle we are in regarding our Second Amendment freedoms.

Due to concerns about content and true motivation, we allowed our support for RECOIL to expire, with the current issue being our last, until we could determine if we were truly speaking the same language. The recent comments and subsequent clarification made by the editor of RECOIL are completely counter to our position here at Magpul. These statements proved that there is an apparent gap between our values and those of RECOIL. As such, we have chosen not to continue or renew any advertising support for RECOIL magazine unless and until we are convinced at some future point that this publication truly shares our values and has the best interests of Magpul and our customers in mind.

We sincerely hope that the outpouring of Second Amendment support as a result of these comments can continue with as much strength towards educating existing and potential new shooters about the importance of firearms rights and in contacting elected officials to preserve those rights. We look forward to future efforts to reach a broader audience through individual effort, and perhaps through an appropriately focused publication, to continue growth in the number of Americans who enjoy celebrating our Second Amendment heritage.

I agree. Why would your average civi need one of those? Just cause?
Just cause? Just BEcause!! That si the reason I have many of the firearms I own. Including machine guns and suppressors. Because I am a American it is my right to do so nuff said!

Because it is a modern small arm that fills the role of a personal defense weapon.

In the USA, the "right to bear arms" has nothing to do with a "sporting purpose". It is for defense.

The term "sporting purpose" was created as a means to justify prohibiting small arms for civilian use.
Which the editor of the magazine supports, the idea that a civilian can only own a firearm if it meets a "sporting purpose".
This line of reasoning lead has lead to several firearm bans and firearm parts ban.

The H&K MP-7A1 is classified as a post-'86 Title 2 MG, which means that only a FFL/SOT or GovMil/LE agency can legally own it in the USA.
All the Federal laws that regulate MGs do not use "sporting purpose" as a means to regulate them.
Per the BATFE, as of 04-2012, there are 488,065 legally owned machineguns in the hands of civilians in the USA. None of these needed a "sporting purpose" to obtain.

Haley Strategic Partners official response...

Haley Strategic Partners said:
The Haley Strategic Partners team was disappointed to learn of an article and later, public comments, made by a editor at Recoil Magazine which indicated certain weapon systems were not suitable to be possessed or operated by responsible members of the American public. We take issue with this.

At Haley Strategic, we choose to train responsible citizens, law enforcement officers and military professionals in our courses ranging from basic to advanced Disruptive Environments. In short, we help Americans prepare. Weapons systems are tools. Tools built to preserve lives in life threatening situations. There is no reason to prevent responsible citizens from utilizing any tools that will improve their odds of surviving such an event.

We take this very seriously. Every person in at Haley Strategic believes that, as Americans, it is our responsibility to be prepared, both mentally and physically, for worst case events, whether they happen to ourselves and our loved ones, or innocent people caught in an unfolding tragedy.

As such, Haley Strategic Partners will indefinitely suspend all advertising and collaborative efforts with both Recoil Magazine and RecoilWeb.com.

The point is that we have the right and need is not relevant. You have a serious case of cephalo-anal inversion and you ought to get that fixed.:rolleyes:

H&K official response...

H&K USA said:
Some readers have misinterpreted a recent feature story in RECOIL magazine as a reflection of HK policy. Heckler & Koch has a long presence in the US civilian market and throughout that time has been an ardent and passionate supporter of the Second Amendment and the American civilian shooter. This will always be the case. The contents, opinions, and statements expressed in that feature story are those of the writer, not Heckler and Koch’s. Additionally, the writer and RECOIL magazine have issued a clarification and apology for the ill-chosen words used in the story.

The HK MP7A1 4.6 mm Personal Defense Weapon mentioned in the story is a selective-fire product (capable of “full automatic” fire) and is currently restricted to military and law enforcement agencies by BATF. HK-USA has previously researched introducing similar commercial products, chambered in 4.6 mm, but it was determined that the final product would not have enough appeal or be legally feasible.

— Heckler & Koch USA

H&K official response...
That is BULL. H&K is very anti civ ownership. Do not get me wrong I LOVE HK and have been collecting for a long time. Thus how I know. I own a MP5 ( NFA machine gun ) factory mp5 got many years ago. H&K will NOT sell me parts I have to buy them on the open market as HK REFUSES to work on or sell parts for a CIV owned MG.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back