Reciprocity and Purchasing?

Teufel

Does anyone know if you are in a state which you hold a reciprical LTC for can you make a purchase in the same manner as someone holding a LTC for that actual state?

An example would be NC requires a non LTC holder to apply for a permit to purchase for every firearm they want to get.
Since the state has reciprocity with Florida if you have a Florida permit can you bypass the requirement for the permit to purchase and just make your purchase just as any NC permit holder would?

All reciprocity does is give permit holders from reciprocal states the same carry rights as residents. It does not give them the same purchase rights as residents, however. Under federal law, anyone wishing to purchase firearms outside their home state must have the firearm shipped to an FFL in their home state in order to receive it.

No.

Per the GCA of 1968, you can only buy firearms in your declared State of residency (i.e. the State that issues your DL, personal vehicle license plates or are registered to vote in). The only exemptions are the following;

• Active duty military
  • Persons who maintain a residence in another State and are there for a substantial period of time during the year
  • Purchasing of long guns from a FFL providing there is no State or local law prohibiting the sale to non-residents of the State

When the CGA of 1968 was originally written, we didn't have the vast data communications network we have now. I agree that the CGA of 1968 should be amended that if you have a CCW that is valid in the State you're in, you should be exempt from the residency requirement of CGA of 1968. However, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

netentity got it right...

The GCA restriction applies to handguns. It allows long gun purchases (usually to residents of contiguous states) with proper ID. Foe example, I can buy a long gun in NC, but not a handgun.

Howard

Last edited:
Clarification...

netentity got it right...

The GCA restriction applies to handguns. It allows long gun purchases (usually to residents of contiguous states) with proper ID. Foe example, I can buy a long gun in NC, but not a handgun.
Not quite, you can purchase a long gun in any State from any FFL at their place of business providing there's no State or local law prohibiting the transaction; see the BATF FAQ here. It's not restricted to bordering States, that's a State law issue. The buyer can only bring it back to their home State if it is legal to do so.

Case and point, a CA resident can go to AZ, NV or OR to buy a semi-auto AR-15 or AK-47. However they cannot bring it back to CA with them because they are illegal in CA. Quite a few Californians who cannot escape the tyranny there buy firearms here in NV and store them in safe deposit boxes or storage units here. They take them out and shoot them on a range here when they temporarily escape CA.

Another case and point, I live in Nevada, I could have bought a long gun from a FL or KY FFL last May while I was there and shipped it back to me in Nevada or brought it back as checked baggage on my flight back. I could not have bought a handgun or class III/NFA firearm outside of Nevada. Those have to be shipped to a local dealer in the buyer's declared State of residency.

If you have a CCW that exempts you from a Brady/NICS check then it is valid for that long gun transaction. Case and point, I have a UT CFP. I can go to UT and buy all of the long guns I want without a NICS check.

Hand gun purchases can only be made by residents of the state or active duty military stationed in the state. Rifles and shot guns can be purchased in different states. This is because of federal laws regulating firearms sales. A CCW permit does not override these laws.

Throw this into the discussion and it my be what the OP was asking. Suppose you are a NC resident and holder of a FL permit but not a NC permit. Can you use the FL permit to purchase a handgun like a NC permit allow you to do it. You are legal to purchase since you are a NC resident but have a FL permit, not a NC one.

I could be wrong, but if you reside in NC, then your FL permit cannot be used to exempt from a purchase in NC. At the same time, wouldn't it be a lot simpler for you to just go and get the NC permit as long as you're residing there? NCs permit is, after all, the 2nd most recognized permit (honored in 32 states outside of NC) behind Michigan's (recognized in 35 states). Even FL and UT permits aren't as widely honored as NC's.

NO!

Throw this into the discussion and it my be what the OP was asking. Suppose you are a NC resident and holder of a FL permit but not a NC permit. Can you use the FL permit to purchase a handgun like a NC permit allow you to do it. You are legal to purchase since you are a NC resident but have a FL permit, not a NC one.
What part of no don't you understand? It's clearly outlined in the BATFE FAQ.

No recognition and reciprocity do not apply to purchasing in any State. You have to have a NC CCW or purchase permit to purchase in NC and bypass NICS. Your Florida CWFL only allows you to carry in NC.

A CCW only does three things;

• Legalizes the holder to carry concealed in the States that recognize that particular CCW where permitted by local, State and federal law.
  • NICS exemption in the State qualifies for it per BATFE for purchases in the issuing State only. I cannot use my UT CFP to bypass a NICS check in NV.
  • Exemption from the Federal GFZA while in the issuing State.

A CCW does not give you handgun or class III/NFA purchasing rights in any State. You're only exempt from residency requirement of GCA of 1968 if the one of the following criteria are met;
  • Long gun purchases from a FFL at their place of business.
  • Active duty military in the State they are stationed.
  • Persons who maintain a residence in another State.
  • LEOs purchasing firearms for official purposes.

What part of no don't you understand? It's clearly outlined in the BATFE FAQ.

No recognition and reciprocity do not apply to purchasing in any State. You have to have a NC CCW or purchase permit to purchase in NC and bypass NICS. Your Florida CWFL only allows you to carry in NC.

A CCW only does three things;

• Legalizes the holder to carry concealed in the States that recognize that particular CCW where permitted by local, State and federal law.
  • NICS exemption in the State qualifies for it per BATFE for purchases in the issuing State only. I cannot use my UT CFP to bypass a NICS check in NV.
  • Exemption from the Federal GFZA while in the issuing State.

A CCW does not give you handgun or class III/NFA purchasing rights in any State. You're only exempt from residency requirement of GCA of 1968 if the one of the following criteria are met;
  • Long gun purchases from a FFL at their place of business.
  • Active duty military in the State they are stationed.
  • Persons who maintain a residence in another State.
  • LEOs purchasing firearms for official purposes.

Yes I understand the wond NO quite well but seems you have troubles understanding many oter words. My commet was directed at those who had answered the OP about a residency requirement assuming that he was talking about someone from NV trying to purchace a gun in NC with a FL permit. This was not what I had in my post but rather what if a NC resident had a FL permit, would they have the same puchasing rights in NC as a NC resident in NC. One line in your last post from the BATF FAQ says no but does that also apply to the NC purchasing permit that is required in NC and issued by the sheriff's department and has nothing to do with the BATF?

From the OP has nothing to do with the BATF or NICS or any federal laws.

Since the state has reciprocity with Florida if you have a Florida permit can you bypass the requirement for the permit to purchase and just make your purchase just as any NC permit holder would?

I do not know as I am not familiar with all of the NC requirements other that a permit ot purchase is required. I did accidently transpose two words in my post that may have led to multiple interpretations of my comments but I have only one post that came close to answering the OP's question and he was unsure but made a good suggestion.

Here's the actual State law...

Yes I understand the wond NO quite well but seems you have troubles understanding many oter words. My commet was directed at those who had answered the OP about a residency requirement assuming that he was talking about someone from NV trying to purchace a gun in NC with a FL permit. This was not what I had in my post but rather what if a NC resident had a FL permit, would they have the same puchasing rights in NC as a NC resident in NC. One line in your last post from the BATF FAQ says no but does that also apply to the NC purchasing permit that is required in NC and issued by the sheriff's department and has nothing to do with the BATF?

From the OP has nothing to do with the BATF or NICS or any federal laws.

I do not know as I am not familiar with all of the NC requirements other that a permit ot purchase is required. I did accidently transpose two words in my post that may have led to multiple interpretations of my comments but I have only one post that came close to answering the OP's question and he was unsure but made a good suggestion.

Here's the actual NC statute § 14‑402 (a) and the exact answer;

§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

You must be a NC resident, have a NC permit to purchase or NC CHP or you cannot buy a handgun or crossbow in NC. You have to have one or the other; NC CHP or a NC permit to purchase, period. It appears long guns are exempt. NC recognition and buys you nothing with respect to purchasing a handgun. If you need a license, permit or ID to purchase, a recognized or reciprocal CCW or carrying under LEOSA buys you nothing with respect to purchasing. You have to have the appropriate ID, license or permit to purchase in those jurisdictions.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back