Recent discovery while shopping for INSURANCE (AUTO/HOME)

alamoadam

So once a year I'll shop around looking for a better quote for my auto and home insurance. I called a few companies such as Metlife, USAA, AAA, & Allstate. During the home quotes each representative asked all the usual questions such as...Do you have an attached two car garage? Do you own a pool? Do you have any pets? Fireplace? etc etc...

Well while researching other companies I came across one called Amica Amica Insurance - Auto Insurance Quotes, Home Insurance Quotes, Life Insurance, Marine, and Personal Umbrella Liability Insurance Quotes 800-24-AMICA

So I thought I'd give them a call after reading some of their reviews on the web.

Well.... (and here's where the story get's interesting) during the questions the rep through a serious curve ball at me. He asked me..."Do you own any firearms?"

This was the first time I had been asked that question after speaking to half a dozen other companies, nor have I ever been asked that question at any time while getting quotes for home insurance.

So I paused for a good 3 seconds and said to him, "Uh.. I do."

So guess what the next question was he asked?...

"What kind do you own?"

At that point I said to him, "Listen.. I'm not exactly comfortable with that question, so why don't you go ahead and skip it or we can end this call."

He said it was company policy.. and blah blah blah... and I repeated my statement.."You can either skip it or we can end this call"

He said he could not skip the question and I said I'm sorry you could not do buisness with me today.

Call ended...

So anyhow.... just wanted to let everyone know what happend to me recently. I hope this isn't some sort of trend that is going to be taking place, but at least you know (for now) who NOT to do buisness with.

Sorry if this was the wrong forum to tell my story.

Deny them any information and the quote ends.

Do I give personal information to someone I don't know! NOT.

No social security numbers given -- it's over

So once a year I'll shop around looking for a better quote for my auto and home insurance. I called a few companies such as Metlife, USAA, AAA, & Allstate. During the home quotes each representative asked all the usual questions such as...Do you have an attached two car garage? Do you own a pool? Do you have any pets? Fireplace? etc etc...

Well while researching other companies I came across one called Amica Amica Insurance - Auto Insurance Quotes, Home Insurance Quotes, Life Insurance, Marine, and Personal Umbrella Liability Insurance Quotes 800-24-AMICA

So I thought I'd give them a call after reading some of their reviews on the web.

Well.... (and here's where the story get's interesting) during the questions the rep through a serious curve ball at me. He asked me..."Do you own any firearms?"

This was the first time I had been asked that question after speaking to half a dozen other companies, nor have I ever been asked that question at any time while getting quotes for home insurance.

So I paused for a good 3 seconds and said to him, "Uh.. I do."

So guess what the next question was he asked?...

"What kind do you own?"

At that point I said to him, "Listen.. I'm not exactly comfortable with that question, so why don't you go ahead and skip it or we can end this call."

He said it was company policy.. and blah blah blah... and I repeated my statement.."You can either skip it or we can end this call"

He said he could not skip the question and I said I'm sorry you could not do buisness with me today.

Call ended...

So anyhow.... just wanted to let everyone know what happend to me recently. I hope this isn't some sort of trend that is going to be taking place, but at least you know (for now) who NOT to do buisness with.

Sorry if this was the wrong forum to tell my story.

Every insurance company home policy has what is called "special limits" on certain items, such as jewelry, cash, guns, etc. Meaning, if they are stolen, the insurance company is only on the hook for the "special limit" usually 1k. In the case of cash, maybe only $100. These items represent higher theft, higher proof issues and thus are rated higher as risk. Most sales reps don't mention this because to get a rider or floater to cover the (guns, jewelry cash, ) is more money so they don't mention it, hope to get your business, and hope no loss occurs. Sounds like the AMICA rep was trying to be honest and get you properly insured, even if it cost more.

Dirty bastard. Surprised you don't sue for being "offended"

See a PROFESSIONAL INDEPENDANT AGENT for your REAL insurance needs. You will only get bozo answers on the telephone or internet. When you get serious about your insurance needs you will learn a couple of things.
1. Seek Professional Help with your needs. Somebody who knows what the policy says. You may pay more, but you will most likely have a better product, with better service. (Just ask people in Joplin, MO or Tuskaloosa, AL.)
2. Don't ever!- Switch your insurance every year. Because if you have a claim in that first year, they will cancel you and then you will pay triple or quadruple the premium.
YMMV.

You might want to look at Farm Bureau. Even having to pay a yearly membership fee, I have found their products to be quite the value. They do require you to supply a list of your firearms if you take the rider.

I have several special riders on my homeowners insurance. I have one for firearms and another covering jewelry. In each case I provided to my insurance company detailed descriptions, professional appraisals, and serial numbers as well as photographs of the jewelry, artwork and firearms that are to be insured.

This is a private business arrangement between me and my insurance company. I desire to have these items insured and the insurance company requires these things to establish the contractual relationship between private actors.

It is quite different from an interaction with a government agency. I would rightly refuse to divulge the same information to a census taker, social worker or other government agent without a warrant.

Perhaps the OP was correct in his paranoia, I would be reluctant to discuss my high value items with anyone whom I had just met over the phone. However, that same paranoia has prevented him from obtaining the services which he had originally sought.

Man: Hello I would like insurance

Insurance agent: What would you like insured?

Man: I am not very comfortable with that question

Insurance agent: Sir, I need a little more information you really should answer my question.

Man: I told you that I was not comfortable answering your questions. If you insist on finding out what I want insured I am afraid I cannot do business with you.

Insurance agent: Sir it is company policy that we know what exactly we are insuring prior to issuing a policy

Man: Than I am afraid we cannot do business (click) Intrusive A$$h01e

Insurance agent: Looney!

Get a gun safe. Only a team of professional thieves will have the equipment to carry it out of the house.
I can understand why a insurance agent would want to document serial numbers, the model, caliber, and manufacture so they can place a value on the items they are going to insure, otherwise they will get ripped off.

I have riders on my homeowners policy for my firearms. They asked for serial numbers, descriptions, etc. I told them that I have a database with all that info and pictures, and the info is secured outside of the home and that all firearms are in 1-hour fire rated safes. I convinced them that I am not comfortable in sharing my firearm ownership info, but if they wanted to send an agent out to look at my collection and my database I would willingly share. They approved my excess limits without an inspection and without sharing my info. I understand and appreciate 'DOC MUSTANGS' explanation that this is a trusted business arrangement with the insurance company, but I'm not comfortable in releasing any information to anyone when it's absolutely not necessary.

I appreciate all the information and opinons, but there seems to be some miscommunication.

For someone who is interested in insuring thier firearms I can see where the questions would come into play, but let's be clear, those were not, nor have they ever been my intentions when shopping auto/home insurance. Of course I understand the realm of "home owners" insurance and the umbrella of what "items" are/aren't covered but that's not what this post was about.

Furthermore, why would the agent not inquire on whether or not I was even interested in insuring my firearms. Seem the appropriate way to inquire would have been to ask the customer if he/she had any other valuable items ie.. firearms,jewelry etc.. they wanted to insure.

Again... to clarify,

I was taken back by this Amica agent who "out of the blue" asked if I had any firearms and then wanted to know what kind, without giving him any inclination that I wanted to insure any kind of "special" item(s) or get a stupid "rider" or whatever.

After talking to 4-5 other agents from different companies, this was the first and only agent to have asked such a question..

Just taken back by the whole situation... that's all

or if you want to call it paranoia, go for it!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back